MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2001, 03:12 PM   #1
lx mike
Undescribable

Post Stock Shifter ??'s

have a few question about the shiter in a 93 lx when i first drove it i would go to far to find third, the guy said just relax and it will go to that "gate" ?? on it's own, now that i have had it for 3 weeks i have noticed if i release it while shifting it does go right over to the 3-4 side, does the stock shifter do that or do i have an aftermarket one. I don't rememebr him saying if it was.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
I don't know too much about manual-tranny shifters (I bought my stang in Sept. and it's my first car that's stick-shift).

Anywho, if you go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5, the shifter will easily go to those in order. I guess it's basically designed to do that (like I said, I don't know too much internals of stick-shifts).

If I had the money, I'd look into a short-throw shifter. They really reduce the amount of movement you do to shift. Maybe I'll make that as my next mod, but I'll have to wait, having just spent over $2100CDN ($1450US) for parts and labour/service.
And I've only had the car for 4 months.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 05:48 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

i think it is a short throw shifter, just thought i'd try here and see if anyone could help me find out for sure i have taken the plastic cover and shift knob off but there are no markings on the stick anywhere, this is my FIRST stick shift car too!! what a diff from an automatic!
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 07:04 PM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Its and after market shifter, then if you pull the boot off the base will probably have something machined into it, "PRO-5.0 POWER TOWER" or "STEEDA" or something along those lines, and will be made out of pretty think metal.

The factory one is just stamped steel.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 08:25 PM   #5
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

the stock shifter will align itself to slide into 3rd and 4th automatically. For example, if you slide the shifter out of any gear, then just release it, it will be aligned directly below 3rd gear and above 4th. If you keep the shifter in neutral then push it to the right or left while keeping it in neutral, it will return to the center neutral spot once you release it.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 09:45 PM   #6
Tim C
Registered Member

The stock shifter will align itself to 3rd automatically, however the stock factory springs are weak compared to an aftermarket shifter. I just put a Steeda on my 99 GT, and it is alot more noticable. With the stock shifter i had actually missed 3rd once or twice, but this Steeda pops it real hard to 3rd. I havent missed yet. It did make downshifting to 2nd and upshifting to 5th harder cause you have to fight the spring, but the advantages in upshifting from 1-2-3-4 outweigh that.

To check, just remove the boot and probably a dust shield bolted to the trans tunnel, and look where the shifter bolts to the trans, the factory shifter will be stamped steel, an aftermarket will be about 1/4" thick aluminum. Also the factory shifter will have rubber between the handle and the shifter base, where as the aftermarket will not.
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:40 PM   #7
RAINSTANG
Registered Member

To answer your question, yes the stock shifter will spring towards 3rd gear at the neutral gate, as will any other aftermarket shifter. I replaced my stock piece with a Hurst mainly to get shift stops that the stock part does not have. The stock Ford shifter is not a bad piece and at least it doesn't rattle & shake like a Hurst, Pro-50, Tri-Ax etc. but if you bang gears you'll want to replace it. By the way, when you go for 3rd, just palm the handle and push it towards 3rd instead of griping it like you do for 2nd or 4th.
RAINSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote