MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2001, 11:01 AM   #1
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Post Suggestions on Winter Beater

Ok, I know its a little early, but I figured if I am going to have the money to get something I should do it before school starts and all my money gets invested at the bar.

I know I want something with 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive. I can't imagine myself with a pickup, I would want something that I can put people and stuff into. I was looking at 80's blazers and broncos for under or around $1000. What do you guys think?

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 01:29 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

You get what you pay for man. Bronco's and stuff are alright. I have no idea what kind of reliability either of those vehicles have.

4 wheel drive is a good thing to have though!

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
untamed351
Registered Member

Get a cheap blazer. And if you wrap it around a pole you wont care b/c its a chevy
untamed351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I dont mean something reliable that will last for years to come. I mean something that can take a beating through the winter that wont turn out to be a money pit. I dont plan on having anything fixed on it, so I plan on finding one with good brakes, tires, trans, and engine.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
Old 07-16-2001, 05:16 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyDP:
I dont mean something reliable that will last for years to come. I mean something that can take a beating through the winter that wont turn out to be a money pit. I dont plan on having anything fixed on it, so I plan on finding one with good brakes, tires, trans, and engine.

I believe that you just described something reliable

95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:08 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

What are you lookin to spend?

I'd have to say Subaru if you have a couple k to drop into a 93ish Legacy Wagon.

Invincible in snow, they've got enough spunk to tow some snowmobiles, and the AWD is awesome. I've driven the S10 Blazers. They are nothing to talk about for snow traction, their 4wd isn't very good, they have front end issues, and the older ones are gutless with the 2.8L.

The Explorer isn't really for the winter beater budget minded, the Bronco II is, well, a Bronco II. Probably hated more than the Mustang II, lol.

There is a rather obscure AWD Ford Tempo, that makes 150hp, but it's a Tempo, and they aren't exactly known for reliability.

I guess I'd take the Subaru over the rest. Better traction, cheap, and pretty reliable.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

How about an older Audi Quatro? I am looking to spend $1000 or less.

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
Old 07-16-2001, 10:22 PM   #8
n20lx
Registered Member

If I can't have 4wd then I like the heaviest longest rear wheel drive car I can get. Something like an early 70's Lincoln. You probably won't have any problems in the deep snow & oh man the power slides & donuts!
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:43 PM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I'll sell you my car.(no laughing I'm serious)

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 275,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 03:51 AM   #10
84stangLX

An audi would be expensive to find any parts for even though the older ones are rebadged volkswagens. Cars are generally less expensive and in better condition for the money because trucks hold their value, so you can find a "nice" car for $1000 rather than a rust bucket 4x4 truck type vehicle. Subarus are plentiful and cheap and fulfill what you're asking for and they also get good gas mileage.
I had an '83 mercury zephyr (shares "fox body" platform with mustang) with 2.73 gears, open diff and the gutless 3.3L auto combo and that thing was HARD to make lose control in the snow (i had snow tires though). With the long wheel base and open diff it was very steady in the snow, although i never got into a situation where i need to go uphill from a stop. Good luck finding something!
After i get my '89 GT my '84 LX will become my snow car , i don't know how well that will work out, probably not very well but it's what i've got.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-18-2001, 11:30 AM   #11
the bandit
Registered Member

why don't you just get an old 'yota p/u or something. they are a great with 4-wheel drive.

------------------
14.44 best et with street tires, spinning first and second hard. only 3.73's and steeda lowering springs. more to come when i make some money
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote