MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2002, 12:09 AM   #1
apenn

Default Back from the Track - Good News/Bad News with Diablo

Several of you have been following my recent saga with my swap of my SuperChip to Diablo. Also, at the same time I did a Lightning MAS and Anderson PowerPipe (I really wished I had done these upgrades one at a time for comparison purposes!). Prior to going to the track I really wasn't happy with the Diablo (as the car had pretty severe detonation at upper rpm accelleration, which I was NOT pleased about, considering my SuperChip really had none). Also, on the way to the track, which was really my first road trip on the highway since the upgrades, I noticed my speedo was out of wack (slow by 7 mph). This really p*ss*d me off because when I had my gears done I had the speedo calibration done so I wouldn't have this issue. Also, my check engine light comes on since the Diablo, never had this before. Those are my complaints, however the car definitely felt faster, which is why I was anxious to get it to the track to get the real scoop. Prior to my first run I put a gallon of race fuel in the car (104 octane to see if this would help the detonation. My first run was great, 12.673 @ 111.13 mph (last time out I ran very consistent 13.0's at 107 mph). The car actually felt and sounded awful, and I still had a little detonation. I decided to put another gallon of race fuel in to see if it that would stabalize things a little more and it definitely did, no more detonation the rest of the night, however my runs slowed down a bit (I probably should have only put an extra 1/2 gallon in). Anyways, the rest of my runs were between 12.8 and 13.0 @ 109 to 110 . The car really didn't heat up too badly because it had plenty of time to cool between runs. My car has not been custom tuned yet and I know it is huge that I do this (Hammer's hammer is finally sinking in with me on this point!), so this will correct my detonation problem and maybe give me a little more power, or at least a smoother power delivery. HOWEVER, I think this is what I am going to do and I need opinions on this plan.

1. I think I currently have a leaking seal in the supercharger and I must get this corrected. So I am going to return the Diablo chip and get a refund (which the shop said I could), reinstall the SuperChip and see how it runs with the other upgrades (Lightning MAS and Anderson PowerPipe). Then have the SuperCharger removed (and have the SuperChip removed and have the stock chip put back while I drive the car without the SC (I assume this will be required??).

2. Once the SC is fixed, have it put back on with the SuperChip computer. I really want to see how the car runs with the SuperChip and powerpipe and new MAS. When I had the car dyno'ed the car was very rich and I was told these two upgrades would correct or at least help the richness issue. I'll take the car to the track and see what she does. If the check engine light, detonation and richness have been corrected and if the car runs at anything less than 13.00 I probably won't put the Diablo back. I'll have to find another shop in town that can give me a custom tune with the SuperChip. I had switched to Diablo because this one shop had a Diablo programmer who would custom Dyno tune Diablo's. By keeping the SuperChip I'll say the $$ from having to buy the Diablo.

Once again I'm sorry for the novel, but input and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2002, 02:50 AM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

I admit I know very little about chips and s/c, but it sounds to me like you have a good set-up now. A custom tune would fix most every problem you have, and if it continues to detonate, why don't you just decrease your timing by a few degrees?

The only other thing I see wrong is why would you continue to run the vortech if it's leaking a seal? This doesn't sound too healthy to me. You said you wanted to take it to the track again, but w/out the diablo. Will the busted seal (if that's waht it is) cause any problems that may force you to replace the entire s/c??...b/c that would suck...

Like I said, I know nothing about this...but from reading everything else in this forum, thats just my opinion.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote