MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
pitdogzrule
Registered Member

Question Suspension Help

Hello ,
I just purchased a '97 mustang GT , The car was lowered some and a saleen pacage was added. The problem i am having is the back bottoms out on nearly all bumbs, and i can bairly ride anyone in the back seat b/c of this bottoming out problem. Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this proble. Do i need new springs? And what is the best value for really good suspension kits out there. Im not a cheap skate and dont mind spending money to fix this problem.
thanks in advance
Marcus
pitdogzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:28 AM   #2
rbohm
Registered Member

two things;
1: sounds like the springs were lowered by heat them untill they sagged, a cheap and dangerous way to lower a car.
2: the bump stops need to be trimed to allow for lowering a car.

i suggest you contact steeda and tell them what you want. if you like the lowered look, which is fine, then get a set of their lowering springs for the car.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
pitdogzrule
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Well thanks for the heads up man. Makes me wonder if anything else was half azz done on it. It is really a super powerfull car. I am used to haveing my older Chevy P/U muscle trucks. So this is a pretty much a learning experience for me being that its my first muscle car and FORD for that matter. I know the guy said something about the struts themself bottoming out.
I DONT really care for the lowered car look very much, i care more of comfort and handling. So any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I've turned to a FORD lover with my first FORD.

I had a '84 GMC sierra - 400 sb Tricked out, 700R4 tranny, 4.11 in the back. and wouldnt take 20 of them brand new for my mustang.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I have seen a few sets of springs in the summit catalog. I dont know how fairly priced they are however. I have a friend who has a lowered mustang, the look is okay I guess, but it rides like shi*. Good Luck!

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

www.stangsuspension.com has the best prices. When you go over bumps go at an angle if you can. I have put H&R on two cars and love them. They go great with Bilstien shocks. The help the ride alot. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I have Steeda Sport springs on both my 97 GT Vert and my son's 98 GT. They actually ride better than the stock springs did, especially the Vert.

It sounds like your car may have been lowered by heat or is just lowered too much. One of our friends has a 2 inch drop on his and it looks bouncy when he drives down the street and he bottoms out a lot, not to mention dragging on everything. My cars are lowered about an inch and a half, I have only drug twice, but I am also aware of the possibility, so I am careful. The only time I have any bottoming out is on a bad railroad crossing I cross on the way to work, it's on a side street.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:56 AM   #7
pitdogzrule
Registered Member

Default Re: Suspension Help

Well come to find out it has nothing to do with the suspensiong at all, we pit it on a lift and if you turn the tire ot drive shaft it knocks in the rear end.So its something in the rear end thats doing it.
Also I installed a amplifier and a 12'' sub-woofer in my car and , dont know if it happened right away but my oil pressure gauge bounces, if i get on it hard, the gauge goes all the way down, if i take it out of gear its normal?....I needs some help on this, is it more likely to being electrical than the mains going out?
thanks
pitDOG

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: