MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Tanning?

I posted this over in the FP forum, but I decided to also post here since tanning is a more unisex hobby nowadays

I was wondering if any of yall tan (indoor tanning bed of course) on a regular basis, and if anyone knows the medically documented long term effects. I used to tan regularly, but haven't in a year because I am worried that my skin will age prematurely and I'll get all wrinkly. I have some burn and physical trauma scars that I am VERY self conscious about, and now that I am getting very pale again, I have been thinking about hitting the beds again because they are becoming more and more visible.

I hear from tanning articles that they paste up on the walls at the salon that as long as you do not burn, and properly moisturize the skin before and after tanning, its better to tan indoors because you can control the exposure time. Then I hear from my mother that I'm going to be burnt to a crisp by the time I'm 40...who's right?

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

I dont tan in a bed only outdoors. But speaking from experience always wear some type of sun block. I now have several white spots on my chest now. I am going to the doctor to have them seen about. I know there are long term effects to sun and bed exposure but there is a lot of genetic's that come into play. I know people in my family are very susecptable to sun poisoning and Melinoma skin cancer. Ask your parents if there is any history of this in your family. If there is I would be Very cautious as to tanning in a bed. Hope this helps out a little.

I like a good tanned body on myself and a female as much as everyone else but I'm not gonna Jepordize my health for it.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:59 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Tanning risks

Mustangbelle306:

Here's some medical information regarding tanning (indoor or outdoor).

"Given the risks, the use of tanning beds for cosmetic purposes cannot be recommended" according to the American Academy of Dermatology.

"The UVA exposure of the average salon visit is equivalent to a day at the beach," according to the American Academy of Dermatology.

According to the American Cancer Society;
People with "excessive exposure" from the sun or tanning booths, "have a greater risk of skin cancer."

I can understand your desire to maintain a tan for the reasons you mentioned however, on a medical as well as a cosmetic basis, I believe that moderation is probably the key here but in absolute terms, the less sun or UV rays you get, the better.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I haven't tanned in a long time. I used the indoor tanning beds. The way I did it was I would tan for 20 min every other day or every 2 days and I would use a tanning lotion something made in Sweden (its supposed to be better than anything else) . I don't know the long tem effects of tanning. But I never over did it
Old 01-28-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
MustangKelly96
Registered Member

Where I tan at, they have what is called a sunless "tanning booth". I haven't tried it myself. A little to expensive for me. About $24 a session,but in the long run would probably be worth it . Here is the link to find out more info.

mystictan.com

Kelly

Last edited by MustangKelly96; 01-28-2002 at 06:04 PM..
MustangKelly96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:47 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I think the harmfulness of tanning is also related to the skin conditions that you inherit. As long as you dont burn I dont see a problem with it. Of course i grew up and have lived in san Diego about 95% of my life so i get sun all year round and getting sun burned rarely hurts for me. But i do use sunscreen but not a whole lot and i have pretty tan skin but not super dark. Just move to California and get it all year round

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well I do have a family that is COMPLETELY cancer ridden (smoking Italians ) but my mother is northen Italian and my dad is Persian, so I have to TRY to burn...I just don't know if that really makes a difference...I think if I go once a week or so and just maintain a darker shade I'll feel better, and not endanger my health as much I think I used to. Thanks for the help everyone!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:21 PM   #8
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I don't know the long term effects but I've seen some girls that look like they've been in the toster. It learns really unattractive, they look like a freaking lizzard with all drive skin and eww.... I don't go, I just use the natural sun, not even sun tan lotion but I live in Canada too so our sun ins't as strong as down in some parts of the US. I would just use it cautiously, don't over do it. =)

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:56 PM   #9
Tod
Registered Member

belle, i have a friend that tans regularly. and in Ohio where it's winter for 5 months then blistering hot the next day for 4 months (i know that only equals 9 months total but you get the idea) it's easy to recognize who's "fake baking" during the winter months and who's not. i personally like a nice tan-skinned young lady as much as the next guy heh, but when they're tan in the dead of winter and you know they haven't been in Florida recently, to me it's unattractive to know that she's that self conscious about the color of her skin. plus, they say it's not healthy to go indoor tanning, then mix in some outdoor tanning. that's more harmful than sticking with one or the other for good.

but i can't take that argument because you said you were self conscious about some scars and marks on your skin that aren't as visible with you tan. all i can say is, hon, from what i know of you, some little scars won't take away your overall appearance. you're beautiful tan or not tan. all i have to say is just be careful. i also know a lady in town that has tanned most of her adult life, and now that she's pushing 45-50 years old, well, let's just say her skin isn't exactly silky smooth. blegh.