Thread: My Avatar
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 09:52 AM   #18
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Avatars

Mustangbelle306:

Let me get this straight.

You posted an avatar of a big-breasted woman in a red, low-cut, sexy racers outfit next to your name on an internet messageboard. A board that's populated by 90% (young) men and you're really surprised - and annoyed - that a few of them either believed the photo was you or pretended to think it was and made some suggestive remarks about it?

I've seen some borderline offensive stuff as avatars that we've let pass but a photo of a 'hot babe' as an avatar for a female MW member just invites suggestive remarks from easily excitable guys. Is this news to you? C'mon!

We monitor the forums pretty well and don't allow offensive material to stay up but when you post that kind of photo on a site that has hundreds of visitors every day that have no clue who 'Mustangbelle306' really is, you have to expect some leering feedback from a few misguided people. It's still the internet.

I trust you're able to deal with those that really offended you and the moderators, Dan or myself are able to follow up for you if and when necessary, as you know.

I would advise you and anyone else to whom it may concern that you think about what you place up on the site as an avatar and remember that many of the newbies and visitors won't know anything about you and so that avatar becomes 'you' for some of them.