MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #41
speedemn
Registered Member

Very true and I agree with it all... except... what's with your friend and his 300ZX??? lol... he better be at least making money on the track or at shows with that car after putting that much money into it!

Bet its damn fast though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1

I agree with you, but I feel that dumping a lot of money into a high performance car is not a wise investment, and you will never get your money back out of it. So, this is why I choose to mod a car like the mustang, because they are cheap and easy.(and also im a ford man)
However, if you have deep pocket books, theres nothing wrong with modding a nice jap car if you do it right,

A guy I work with has a 300zx and he must have $30,000 in mods in the car. the car is sweet and very fast, however I think he took a secong mortgage on his house to do it. Not the best money management ....
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:51 PM   #42
srv1
Get down.....

Question ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tod
srv1 and speedemn, not to interupt but srv1 you mentioned your modded truck. and the "rice version" you described fits perfectly with the high school driven, brightly painted, clear markered, loud sound systemed light pickups that are getting more and more common in my area. this not only is annoying but disturbing.
Tod, my truck has only one mod to it. it has 4x4 fenders! thats all. i dont understand if your assuming my truck as the "annoying" type. it has stock speakers (2,4"), stock everything! wait, im sorry, it has a Dnyomax super turbo muffler on it, but that is all. i dont consider my truck as "modded". i dont like trucks that scrape. not my style. it is repainted to the stock factory color Cardinal Red. i dont have a pic yet, but i will show you soon. it has 14" chrome smoothies on it. they came of my friend Monte when i was in college. its not lowered either. Tod, help me out. i dont really understand where you are coming from.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:27 PM   #43
Tod
Registered Member

Default Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1

Tod, my truck has only one mod to it. it has 4x4 fenders! thats all. i dont understand if your assuming my truck as the "annoying" type. it has stock speakers (2,4"), stock everything! wait, im sorry, it has a Dnyomax super turbo muffler on it, but that is all. i dont consider my truck as "modded". i dont like trucks that scrape. not my style. it is repainted to the stock factory color Cardinal Red. i dont have a pic yet, but i will show you soon. it has 14" chrome smoothies on it. they came of my friend Monte when i was in college. its not lowered either. Tod, help me out. i dont really understand where you are coming from.
rereading my post i can understand your confusion with what i said. i mean to say that the "typical" high-school punk is driving the lowered, brightly-painted crap. not necessarily you in perticular. ok not at all you. my friends truck was the culmanation of alot of hard work and determination, as i'm sure you have. i was merely stating my distain for those that consider a "nice vehicle" to have chrome rims, bright paint schemes and fart pipes. again not you or the hundreds of thousands of people that share your passion and knowledge of engines and trucks/cars. i had no idea of the mods (or lack thereof ) that you had on your truck, i just wanted to share my encounter with the finished product of someone who worked hard at what he loved, which was a 400+ hp midsized shortbed truck.

again i apologise for not making myself clear.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #44
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Yes they Can be a fast Car Like in some of the mags BUT IT will take a big wallet to do it I mean a 2.0 to get 300HP out of yes it will be faster then most Other Cars out there BUT a 5.0 to get 500 Is MUCH MUCH EZer to do Less money to do so also.
Next they dont pick A fast 4cly most of the time a Honda Come on My brother has a Conquest/Starion same car they made then from 83-89 Well he is workin going on it and Well for the same he is spending about 2000 on it and It will be a MUCH faster car than it is now. He is not a rice and in fact most ricer poeple Dont like the Conquest. Why is that the car is a high 15's stock About the same speed as most Other Ricer cars BUT is much less to modify than many 4cly cars And it can be FAST. I think it might be partly to do with the Very Low Reving motor 5800 is Pushing it deep tone it has for a 4cly car, and the fact that it is Rear wheel drive might be part too. For $2,000 should be a good For a Low 13 in the 1/4.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #45
speedemn
Registered Member

I disagree. The 4-cyl engine I was suggesting to the Toyota truck buddy to swap in. Here's some specs:

2.0L inline-4 (iron block)
225 HP - 255 HP stock (depending on the year you get)
Cast iron block

Want 300 HP? Takes 10 seconds and your index finger and thumb and $0. That sure costs less than making a 5.0 500HP which you said wsa $2000. :-) (okay maybe more than 10 sec if you want to do it carefully. haha)

The secret is that it is a turbo engine right off the factory production line. Top of the line intercooler, engine internals, etc. That is what it was meant to do. We have a guy in our club in Southern California that actually swapped that engine into his 1993 Toyota Camry. He just got it on the road last week and we're waiting on numbers. He's the first in North America to do the swap. I'm hoping to be #2.

I think I mentioned this before. In Japan, rally Supra TTs swap THEIR twin turbo engine out for this engine because it is that easy to turn the boost up AND it is lighter and able to achieve the same power or pretty close to the TT engine. You could say that turning up boost on a turbo is like increasing the displacement which is effectively what is happening there, but bottomline is still that you paid for a 2.0L engine and modded it to 300+ HP with no cost.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang Runner
Yes they Can be a fast Car Like in some of the mags BUT IT will take a big wallet to do it I mean a 2.0 to get 300HP out of yes it will be faster then most Other Cars out there BUT a 5.0 to get 500 Is MUCH MUCH EZer to do Less money to do so also.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #46
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I have ne clue what you are talking about I never ment to talk to you about any thing Just about Ricer poeple. I did not read any thing about what ever you are talking about I will read it up right now.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Old 01-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #47
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I dont Know Crap about the Toy 2.0....... get a D50 With a 2.6 and get a turbo on it and then you will have fun. I have never hears about this 2.0 motor with over 225HP what did it come in???
Old 01-27-2002, 02:51 PM   #48
speedemn
Registered Member

It is a Toyota engine. Why would I bother with a D50 when I'd probably spend more to get it mounted than the parts itself?

Do a search on the web... 3S-GTE is the engine code. Its been around for over 10 years. Latest edition with ST205 intercooler I think, is 255HP at stock boost. I will be researching more on it when I am closer to actually doing the swap. Those are the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) engine numbers. The US version of the engine is slightly weaker. Happy hunting.

Quote:
I dont Know Crap about the Toy 2.0....... get a D50 With a 2.6 and get a turbo on it and then you will have fun. I have never hears about this 2.0 motor with over 225HP what did it come in???
Old 01-27-2002, 02:53 PM   #49
speedemn
Registered Member

Your discussion had 2 parts. :-)

As far as ricers go, it is an attitude and NOT reserved to imports by any means. There might just be more ricers modding imports (Honda specifically) than any other import or domestic. But like I said earlier, please do not group all import tuners in the same breath as Honda (ugh) drivers. I think we all came to that conclusion a long time ago. You're just a little late.

Quote:
I have ne clue what you are talking about I never ment to talk to you about any thing Just about Ricer poeple. I did not read any thing about what ever you are talking about I will read it up right now.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:28 PM   #50
Stang Runner
Registered Member

To turbo a D50 Is VERY EZ 600 will get you the parts froma Junk Yard. New EX Intake Turbo and TB and a ecc But any how.

SO what car does it Come in this Toy motor????????
Old 01-27-2002, 05:35 PM   #51
speedemn
Registered Member

Quote:
To turbo a D50 Is VERY EZ 600 will get you the parts froma Junk Yard. New EX Intake Turbo and TB and a ecc But any how.
Sure, whatever floats your boat buddy.

Quote:
SO what car does it Come in this Toy motor???????? [/B]
Like I said, do some research like everyone else on the net who wants to learn. It comes in the Celica All-Trac and the MR2. The engines come in RWD and AWD forms... not sure if any FWD ones were made in Japan.

Peace.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #52
Mach 1
Registered Member

your telling me I can go buy a toyota here in the USA that has a 225 HP turbocharged 4 banger, and that I can crank up the factory boost very easily and get 300 HP?

Interesting, but I thought I would have heard of this. Are you sure your not having a "rice dream" or something?
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #53
speedemn
Registered Member

Dude there is no reason for trying to start a flame war here. I have been totally civil and so have all the responders here. Do the research and leave the **** to hit the ceiling elsewhere.

I have seen the older years of this car around, here. But it is a Japanese car and Japanese engine. I know something that sounds that good is a little far fetched for a "farm dream" but research, research, research; I've given you all the basic info. I need to. But if you are that curious about it you can get the info. as easily as I can. I'm not going to do your homework for you. But if your sole intent is to try to be a dick, then you are on your own.

I think if the domestic market did some R&D on turbos, they could have some good engines built, once they get the reliability thing worked out. The 5.0 and up V8s are very refined engines after many years of tooling. I would definetly rank it up top with the best engines in the world. But times change, technology changes.

Good luck. I think I've said all I need to say here.

Quote:
your telling me I can go buy a toyota here in the USA that has a 225 HP turbocharged 4 banger, and that I can crank up the factory boost very easily and get 300 HP?

Interesting, but I thought I would have heard of this. Are you sure your not having a "rice dream" or something?
Old 01-27-2002, 06:04 PM   #54
Stang Runner
Registered Member

speedemn Just dont say any thing about this 2.0 that make 225+ stock........ I have Never heard about one..... O about the D50 I know a Guy with a turbo one and he did it for $$300 gets mid 13's on it so Just stut UP.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:06 PM   #55
Mach 1
Registered Member

Just asking a question..no reason to get your panties in a wad.

I guess you took exception to the "rice dream" comment....lol..it was funny, but dont take it personally, no offence intended.
RHC member #142
Old 01-27-2002, 06:14 PM   #56
speedemn
Registered Member

There's a right and wrong way to ask a question... seeing as this is a public forum and you do not know me.

As far as the comment I don't really care since I sure as hell ain't one of them, however I am the one that is in this discussion and you did direct the comment to me.

Hope I was able to answer your question. I hope to do more research on the topic when I get the swap done. We have a guy in Southern Cali that did the swap on his 1993 Toyota Camry. Just got it on the road last week... first engine of its kind to make it here.

There is a guy in Colorado that actually imports these engines. Who he sells them to I'm not sure since I am not aware of any other cars that have swapped this engine in.

I assume that there are more actual Celicas and MR2s in the US that do have this engine in them, than in Canada... newer models too.

Quote:
Just asking a question..no reason to get your panties in a wad.

I guess you took exception to the "rice dream" comment....lol..it was funny, but dont take it personally, no offence intended.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:16 PM   #57
Mach 1
Registered Member

Why cant you answer the question? Can I go and buy a Toy with a 225 HP 2.0 liter or can I not?

Its not a terribly difficult question for a Toyota expert such as youeself...or at least it shouldnt be.
RHC member #142
Old 01-27-2002, 06:21 PM   #58
speedemn
Registered Member

If you read a little slower so you understand, I said earlier that I have found an importer of the engine in Colorado. I never said I wanted the car, hence I never looked for the car. But if you really want to look for one you could probably find one as well as I could.

... And no it is not difficult for anyone to find any car. I don't see why a Toyota expert would be the only one to be able to find a Toyota. Is that how limited Ford experts are in their abilities?

Quote:
Why cant you answer the question? Can I go and buy a Toy with a 225 HP 2.0 liter or can I not?

Its not a terribly difficult question for a Toyota expert such as youeself...or at least it shouldnt be.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #59
jetuomi
Registered Member

listen guys, I can solve this very easily and very quickly..

there is a maximum amount of HP/litre that can be extracted..

so obviously a 7 litre will have more potential than a 5.0 than will a 2.0

http://www.hardcore50.com/news.htm
this is huge HP ford block

http://www.toyota-supra.com/toyotasupra_carstories.htm
this is a huge hp toyota 2.0

we at mustangworks.com mod mustangs
those at toyotanation mod toyota's

to each his own, now, lets get back to the real topic on Mustangworks.com, SOUPIN' up our stangs for the race season' that is comin' up SOON !!!
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:27 PM   #60
speedemn
Registered Member

Quote:
speedemn Just dont say any thing about this 2.0 that make 225+ stock........
Why not?

Quote:
I have Never heard about one..... [/B]
I'm not surprised, given your ability to form even remotely coherent sentences.

Quote:
O about the D50 I know a Guy with a turbo one and he did it for $$300 gets mid 13's on it so Just stut UP. [/B]
This is off-topic. The D50 has nothing to do with a Toyota which was the topic of discussion. I don't really want to ride on a lawnmower or weed-wacker from your maw's and paw's backyard that can do mid 13's.