MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2001, 11:00 AM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up Texas Bound!

Well it looks like I am leaving the great white north and heading south to Texas. I love Canada, but a very good job oppertunity is calling me south. I will be returning to Canada in a year to a year and a half, which is just enough to get away from a Canadian winter .

Now that I am going there, what kind of emissions standards does Texas have? Do I have to put Cats back on ? Can I leave them off? Anyone from Texas please tell me.

I'm hoping that with parts being cheaper in the states, I'll be able to mod the $hit out of my car before coming back to Canada.

No more winter, man, this rocks!

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 12:06 PM   #2
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

First of all let me tell you, TEXAS IS GREAT!!! I've been a resident my entire life. What part are you moving too? and when? If you moving towards the Houston or Dallas area you can hit 2 Fun Ford Weekends no problem!!!

OK about the cats thing... I dont want to sound like you can just bribe anyone but enough cash will stear you clear of the emissions thing. If you're moving to the Houston area I can help you out with that problem!

Ohh, and get your drivers license changed REAL quick. State Troopers can be dicks about that.

All in all I think you will like it down here.

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 12:20 PM   #3
cleangreenmachine

I would think that if you're definitely returning to Canada in a year to a year-and-a-half, and not trying to gain Texas residency for school or anything like that, leave all of your paperwork as if you still live in Alberta.

That way, you won't have to worry about Texas emissions laws. Just make sure you have somebody from home send you the forms when it's time to renew your license and registration. You'd probably save on insurance by keeping it in Canada too, as long as the company is aware you will be driving in the US.

I've been in Cali for six months now and still have my Pennsylvania plates, license, and insurance. I'm planning to remain here, so I'll get things switched soon enough. But for now the only problem I have is I sometimes get hassled using my out-of-state ID to buy beer. The cops don't bother me, mostly because I don't give them a reason to.

Good luck with the new job and I know you'll enjoy Texas.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 02-13-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 12:46 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

What part of Texas are you moving too? If it's in the metro area or around Houston or San Antonio, there are pretty strict emissions standards.

If your further north and west, say...in the panhandle region, emissions standards pretty much don't exist. In fact, I've yet in my life seen a sniffer test. Part of that is due to the altitude and incredibly clean air...other than the dust.

Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy Texas. Great state with great people.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 12:49 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedLilPony:
First of all let me tell you, TEXAS IS GREAT!!! I've been a resident my entire life. What part are you moving too? and when? If you moving towards the Houston or Dallas area you can hit 2 Fun Ford Weekends no problem!!!

OK about the cats thing... I dont want to sound like you can just bribe anyone but enough cash will stear you clear of the emissions thing. If you're moving to the Houston area I can help you out with that problem!

Ohh, and get your drivers license changed REAL quick. State Troopers can be dicks about that.

All in all I think you will like it down here.

I'll be in Garland TX, I guess that is near (30 miles) from Dallas (?). It would be awesome to go to Fun Ford Weekends. I've got to decide about changing plates and licences and all that. I'm not sure about these things, I'll have to talk to the Human Resources department of my new company.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
My 1995 Mustang GT
Old 02-13-2001, 01:05 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Garland!
I live in Garland, Texas...
A pretty decent area actually, and yes there are emissions standards, so you might want to consider bringing your cats...

I'll be happy to give you the Big 'D' tour...
Maybe we can hook up and cruise down to Ennis for some test and tune, and of course Fun Ford weekend!!!

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Hey, you weren't supposed to be that fast!"- Turbo Eclipse Driver
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:26 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Garland!
I live in Garland, Texas...
A pretty decent area actually, and yes there are emissions standards, so you might want to consider bringing your cats...

I'll be happy to give you the Big 'D' tour...
Maybe we can hook up and cruise down to Ennis for some test and tune, and of course Fun Ford weekend!!!

Cool I would like a small tour, and someone to help get me pointed in the right direction when I get down there. I'll be in Garland next week, but will only be there for a couple of days before returning to Edmonton. I'll be in touch once I get organized.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
My 1995 Mustang GT
Old 02-13-2001, 02:41 PM   #8
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

Don't forget to come down to Houston in MAY for Fun Ford!!!

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:53 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

Sounds good 95, See you soon...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Hey, you weren't supposed to be that fast!"- Turbo Eclipse Driver
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 04:45 AM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

Just a note about your tags and license, (I haved moved around and lived in many states)technically speaking, you have 30 days to tranfer to the texas tags and license if you plan on being there for extended time period(and this is probably what your employer will tell you), but, this is one of those laws that are not "enforced", and if you are leaving in a year or two, dont bother changing your tags at all.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 05:49 AM   #11
S Howard
Registered Member

I guess my question would be how many Canadian plates do you see running around in Texas on a daily basis? I would naturally be suspicious. On the up side I imagine that you will have enormous amounts of quality test time.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote