MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Angry They screwed up my rims!!!

So I take the black poweder coated 17x9's to Big10... Yeah they weighted the outside of the rim with regular clamp on weights. So I'm fairly sure they'll be scratched to H*ll and back when they remove them. Can I make them pay for that? I mean- Should I pursue this?

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: They screwed up my rims!!!

I am not familiar with the Big 10 name, but I would definately talk with a manager there. If they are even remotely decent, they shoulda known performance rims and how to properly balance them out.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
chino
Registered Member

did you say anything if it has an outside lip then there going to do it best bet would be to paint the weights black if you didnt say anything then it wont hold up
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i agree with chino, you should have said something to make absolute sure. Tire store guys are almost as dumb as autozone guys. You can raise hell with the manager, but I doubt it will get you very far.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

I'm sure you guys are right... no way it'll hold up. His first words:

(On the phone) "Did you specifically ask us to do that? Cause we weight the outside because cars will shake at 33 and 75 mph if we don't."

(So now he's playing "Tire Scientist". As I go off for not using stick on weights he changes the subject...) "Well you didn't specify. Well bring 'em by and I'll see what we can do."

It's a sad fact... some people are just S T U P I D !!! I wonder if blows his nose after whiping his butt with the toilet paper...
Everyone here knows how busy life is... and I don't even have children- God bless you parents!!!
Between work, holidays, family at the hospital, the weather and the coil spring/fender/nosecap changes (and family and in-laws...want want want ) ) I haven't had the time to go back- None of the mods are finished yet, but that's my fault for thinking it would be easy... hehehe

And I like the paint idea, but I feel as if I'm getting shafted ... I'll give this guy one chance, and after that I'm not even dealing with this idiot because I have a good job, I've grown up, and I really don't want to go to jail. Maybe I can just look up the company headquarters and send them some First Class Mail...

Scary. If it were just a couple of years ago and he got smart with me I'd probably have thrown one of my fists through his teeth and said forget about it.

N E Way... I guess my wife would say I need to pay more attention in church service. Lol! So thanks for the vent ! I'll try to see the humor in this!

PS: This world would be boring without Car dealerships, Autozone and Tire stores

Last edited by HoodStrype; 12-05-2005 at 04:27 PM..
Old 12-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I like how he said 33 and 75 mph exactly......i don't know the hertz frequency off the top of my head, but anyway tires usually vibrate the worst at 60-65 mph.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
racerboy88
Registered Member

most of the places that I have been to put the weights on the inside of the rim when they are dealing with nice factory or aftermarket rims. I would talk to the manager and ask him why they put the weights on the outside as opposed to the inside.
Were the weights on the outside of the rim before you brought them in? If it was they were probably just doing the same thing, in which case you should have asked them to put them on the inside.

Last edited by racerboy88; 12-11-2005 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: wheel weights
racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
84LX89GT
Mustangs

There are several types of tire balancing, putting weights on both the inside and outside is called dynamic balancing and it balances the wheel on more than one plane (keeps it from wobbling/hopping), putting weights on just the inside or in the middle of the rim (stick on weights) is called static balancing (keeps wheel from hopping). Either way balances a wheel, dynamic is preferred due to rims having slight bends in them, tires out of round, etc.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

That's interesting... 60-65 huh? I'll have to bring that up and play "I know more than you do" to them... I haven't even been back. I just now got the car off jackstands... putting in stock coil springs sux! I'll give him a happy holiday visit friday (along with everyone else). The rims were bought brand new so they were not weighted- I'll have to be a smart a$$ and tell him I do not like "dynamic" weighting

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodStrype
That's interesting... 60-65 huh? I'll have to bring that up and play "I know more than you do" to them... I haven't even been back. I just now got the car off jackstands... putting in stock coil springs sux! I'll give him a happy holiday visit friday (along with everyone else). The rims were bought brand new so they were not weighted- I'll have to be a smart a$$ and tell him I do not like "dynamic" weighting

Thanks for the info!
Dude, there is quite a bit that goes into when a wheel will vibrate. I'm not going to go dig up my old dynamic controls book, but off the top of my head, the RPM of the wheel at which you'll get vibration would be the critical frequency. If you picture an amplitude vs. frequency graph, the critical frequency is essentially the frequency at which the amplitude tries to go to infiniti. I believe that the mass of the wheel and also it's diameter would affect where this occurs. So, to say that all cars vibrate at xx mph would be wrong. Adding wheel weights to a car helps to dampen the amplitude (vibration) of the wheel and would serve to either push the critical frequency to a speed (rpm) beyond what you normally see or to help get though the critical frequency faster if it occurs at slower speeds.

Have you ever had a vibraton in a car that happens at say 70 mph, but goes away at 80? This is because the rpm of your wheels has passed through the critical frequency and no longer want to vibrate as much (the amplitude of their response is not as great). I doubt this guy knows what he's talking about and should have just put the weights inside the rim to begin with.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethj7
So, to say that all cars vibrate at xx mph would be wrong. Adding wheel weights to a car helps to dampen the amplitude (vibration) of the wheel and would serve to either push the critical frequency to a speed (rpm) beyond what you normally see or to help get though the critical frequency faster if it occurs at slower speeds...

I doubt this guy knows what he's talking about and should have just put the weights inside the rim to begin with.
Once again I am smarter going in there thanks to you, and I would have to agree whole heartedly that he should have done it right to begin with- Like Buggs would say, "What a Maroon!"

I don't think mommy gave this guy enough booby milk.