MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2001, 01:53 PM   #1
MEC89
Registered Member

Cool For those who wanted to hear a long story!

As I stated ealier in an different post, I am new to the board but not late model mustangs. I have a 1989 which has some what of an interesting history and several of you have asked for me to post it, so here it goes.
The car is a 1989 LX with a 5.0. The car is a convertable, it has a white top with the body being close to a vermillion color. However Ford calls it "harvest something".. It was special ordered from the factory for a rather "well to do" lawyer in town which was friends of some family I have. Being an avid mustang enthusiast himself, he also has a rather rare '66, he ordered this car "special" with some modifications to the car. When he ordered it he did have some pre-existing plans for the car but that was it. His idea was to special order the car in '89...thinking that Ford would change the body style in '90. Well of course that did not happen, the change came later. This was strike one for the car so to say, you'll know what I mean later on in this story. He also had planned to pull a boat, a fresh water cruiser actually, from Ky to florida. He never did that so this was strike 2 against the car. And for those wondering, yes when I recieved the car it had a massive classIII chrome hitch on the back of it, man, that hitch is SOLID also. Ok well, the third strike was that the car came out of the factory wrong. He ordered it to be a white top, white body, red leather interior. It came back vermillion body, white top, and white leather with vermillion, white, and charcoal accents on the doors and dash. Each one of these strikes represents a screw up in the previous owner's planns for the car. But he held onto it for a few years. After realizing he was getting older and no longer had the enthusiasm which it takes to take care of a car which you love he decided to sell it. The car had almost five thousand miles on it and this was in 1993. He sold the car to my parents which gave it to me since a mustang was my dream car and since I had admired this particular car before. So it now rests in my possesion with just over sixteen thousand miles on the odometer. I have not learned as much about this car as I would like to. Unfortunatly the previous owner/friend died and all I had ever got out of him about the car, other than what I have already stated was that the car came from the factory with some minor acid rain damage which to his amazement was non-existant anymore since I had buffed and waxed the car so much. As far as it being factory modified???? I know it has been modified above a normal stock mustang, but what exactly has been done I do not know, I would have to tear it down just to tell anything about it, and being in grad school, I just do not have the time, so I am content with it as it is. I do know that Goodyear called me a liar when I went to get new tires which were the same tires that came on it. Appearantly this car came out of the facorty with tires that look the same as the stock tires, the VR60s, but they were of a different class of tire. These were racing tires with the rubber being made of the same compounds as a rain tire used on race tracks, this explains why they wear soo fast. Needless to say, they almost didn't find the tires I wanted, they had to come from the factory inventory. They told me however that they had to see the tire to believe it because of them being so rare, and that vetts and porcha's didn't even come with them. After explaining that this car was "special ordered" and not a typical mustang, they then understood. These tirese were expensive too!!!! Try about $300.00 dollars for one!!! And this is just for 225/VR60s.

At anyrate, this is the story, or atleast all I can remember now. I will share this since I am sure many of you are interested. I do not legally race the car, it is mostly a show car and has won many times and always catches your eye. But I have raced a few cars in my time. The cameros never stood a chance. The toughest race I ever had was between a twin turbo 300Z and I. Man!! Those things have tough 2nd and 3rd gears!!! But I won the race when I hit about 3200rpm in third. I ran 110mph through corners which a 300z should have been able to handle, but I guess not. My largest hold back with this car is the rear end gears. I am running 2:73:1, I desperatly need 3:55:1.
But that is my story, sorry for this being so long winded. But you asked for it. Take it easy peoples and I look forward to seeing you on the board!!

MEC89
p.s.
it is kinda funny. When thinking about my car and what all I can do with it I kinda take on the persona of Homer Simpson salavating over BEER.
He he! Beer- the other food group!
Further mods I have made are;
1 5/8" HTS coated MAC shorty headers
K&N air filter w/stock air silencer removed underdrive pullys
Timing advanced from 8* to 12*
hi flow polished water pump
MEC89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Neet. Any kind of history, be it small or large, adds to a cars sentimental, and sometimes monetary, value. I'd lioe to find out what Ford thought the factory modifications should be. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 02:00 AM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

That is an interesting story. I would make sure to find out more on this car. Every now and then those one of a kind cars come along right from the factory.

Wasn't the first mod motor put in a fox and given to some racer to test? I am pretty sure I read that in a magazine. Anyone else seen that?
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote