MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
pawn65
Registered Member

Default time to start the hate letters to ford

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Would Mustang Sally drive a station wagon? Maybe she'll get the chance.

The next generation of the Ford Mustang could include some previously unthinkable variants including a four-door sedan and a station wagon, according to a report in the magazine AutoWeek.

"To a Mustang purist, this is blasphemy," said Bob Gritzinger, AutoWeek's senior editor for news.

Mustang has become a strong brand name, perhaps even stronger than Ford's famous Blue Oval, the magazine story says.

You can measure that by price. Introduced for the 2005 model year, the current version of the Mustang still sells for close to full sticker price, according to Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com Website.

AutoWeek attributes its story to a "prominent automotive industry consultant familiar with the Ford plan."

"It's a case of reaching out to the men or women who keenly identify with the Mustang, but for various reasons - whether it be family, recreational or other - need a more versatile car than a coupe," the source is quoted as saying.

The planned 4-door Mustang may be foreshadowed by a Lincoln sedan to be shown at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show.

The 4-door Lincoln uses much of the current Mustang's engineering, according to the magazine. The Lincoln car will have independent rear suspension originally developed for the Mustang but scrapped as too expensive.

The current Mustang has a solid rear axle. But Ford plans for the next-generation Mustang to have a sophisticated independent rear suspension.

The next-generation Mustang is due to come 2011, according to AutoWeek. It could come out as early as 2009, however, Gritzinger said in an interview.

That would allow the Mustang to compete more effectively against the new Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger coupes, expected to arrive in late 2008 as 2009 models.

"It's going to be muscle car heaven in 2008," said Gritzinger.

The story, including illustrations of what the Mustang sedan might look like, is in the Dec. 18 issue of AutoWeek and on-line at AutoWeek.com.

Ford executives were not immediately available for comment on the report.

Other performance coupes have successfully spun off four-door variants despite fans' protests.

Most recently, the Dodge division of DaimlerChrysler reintroduced the Charger name on a four-door sedan in 2005. Despite grumbling from fans of the original 1960s and '70s muscle car, the Charger sedan has sold well.

The next generation of General Motors' Chevrolet Impala sedan will share its engineering and some design cues with the new Chevrolet Camaro, various industry news media have reported. That would allow the Impala to benefit from the "family relationship" without actually taking the Camaro name.

In this case, the two-door coupe and convertible Mustang would continue to be produced, according to the report.

Brad Bowling, a Mustang expert who has written several books on the car including the Standard Catalog of Mustang, told CNNMoney.com he was not particularly bothered by the idea.

"For years people have occasionally made their own custom Mustang wagons and that sort of thing," he said.

Bowling himself recently parted with one of his Mustangs, a 2001 model, because he needed something with more room, he said. He bought a Hemi-powered Dodge Magnum wagon.

He recognized that not everyone would share his attitude toward the idea of four-door Mustangs.

"There are going to be two really strong-minded schools of thought on this," Bowling said.

In the past, attempts to fundamentally alter the Mustang, an iconic American performance car, have been blocked because of outrage by Mustang owners.

In the 1980s, a plan to bring out a front-wheel-drive Mustang met with so much resistance that the company instead introduced the car as the Ford Probe while keeping the Mustang rear-wheel-drive
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
digital3.3

Default Re: time to start the hate letters to ford

i've heard of ford talking about this before, i don't think it would actually go through. mind you there are a surplus of idiots out there these days.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

OMFG! The day they make a Mustang sedan or wagon or a front wheel drive Mustang is the day you see me on the news running over these m****r-f****r's necks with these damn abominations.

You want a sedan or something more "practical"? Buy a different car. Ford makes plenty of various kinds of cars, and if you can't find one there, go elsewhere.

As far as I know, there's exactly ONE Mustang wagon, and it's a concept. Make that a hideous concept. Only a complete douchebag would slice a mustang up and make a wagon out of it. OMG, wagon! I can't get this out of my head now. Aren't wagons pretty much obsolete these days, anyway? Were they ever popular, even in the slightest. I mean, WTF?

Next thing you know, they'll be making Mustang vans and suvs so they can please EVERYbody. Gee, a 4 wheel drive would be nice. Why not install a nice 8" lift kit while you're at it, so you can appeal to all the 20 year olds with "size issues"?

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
1989GT
Registered Member

I think ford is on the right path...I don't think they should use the mustang name. But a four door sporty car with a v8 and rear wheel drive would be pretty cool. Or a wagon with an 03 cobra drivetrain. Now that might be one wagon that I'd drive.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/14/...ons/index.html
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...65/cara_submit

My brother sent me an email with these links, laughing of course. (He has a camaro) I came here to see if anybody has posted anything, see it has already gotten up.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down Re: time to start the hate letters to ford

This is worse than the ill-fated Mustang II! A foolish idea that, if enacted, will effectively destroy the Mustang marque. I suspect that Ford management is getting really desperate and is now willing to throw away the Mustang name and image for a relative handful of hoped-for sales of grocery-getter cars. Sales that likely won't ever occur. I truly hope Ford will reconsider this idiotic concept.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
BLOCKER
Registered Member

if you think about it this could spell a whole new company... I know I am going to get slammed for saying this but the ford umbrella is could include Mercury, Lincoln, Astin Martin, Landrover, and MUSTANG.... I know we all love the idea of rear wheel drive V8 powered 2 door coupe or convertable, but imagine how easy it would be easy to sell the same rearwheel drive V8 that can be easliy modifed, and still look cool.. well, kind of cool, with out having to settle for a chrysler product. As much as I hate to say it, money talks and bull**it walks... if Ford can turn a profit selling a 4 door Mustang wagon to middle aged guys who are unable to afford a toy, or able to convince the wife to cram the 2 kids into the back of the 2 door convertable... why not turn the profit? any hoo, let the slams begin!
-2008 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200
-2008 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
-1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertable
BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKER

if you think about it this could spell a whole new company... I know I am going to get slammed for saying this but the ford umbrella is could include Mercury, Lincoln, Astin Martin, Landrover, and MUSTANG.... I know we all love the idea of rear wheel drive V8 powered 2 door coupe or convertable, but imagine how easy it would be easy to sell the same rearwheel drive V8 that can be easliy modifed, and still look cool.. well, kind of cool, with out having to settle for a chrysler product. As much as I hate to say it, money talks and bull**it walks... if Ford can turn a profit selling a 4 door Mustang wagon to middle aged guys who are unable to afford a toy, or able to convince the wife to cram the 2 kids into the back of the 2 door convertable... why not turn the profit? any hoo, let the slams begin!
O.K. You're either a Ford PR employee or, more likely, simply miss the point. I'm guessing the latter. Besides, a Ford employee would know full well that the Ford 'umbrella' already includes the cars you listed in your post. Especially the MUSTANG (as you put it).

The point is that the 42-year-old Mustang name means something - which is why the ill-fated Mustang II was bitterly opposed by Mustang fans back in the mid-70's. It diluted and misused the Mustang name by pasting it on what was basically an econo-car, meant to respond to the then-gas shortage with a 4 cylinder 'Mustang'. Even the V-8 model was dowplayed and hardly a fast machine. That was then. Fast-forward to 'now'.

Once you start calling tepid, grocery-getter vehicles by names that infer power and style you are basically prostituting the hard-earned panache inherent in the Mustang name. GM did this with some of it's vehicles in the 80's and by doing so, killed off perfectly good marques, such as the Olds Cutlass and, eventuaslly, the entire Oldsmobile line. Nice job, GM. Of course, they were pretty crappy cars, anyway, and that didn't help. Slapping 'performance' names on warmed-over loads doesn't fool many buyers (or savvy auto magazine testers) for long. If Ford takes that road, they will likely fail and bury the built-in sales allure of the Mustang to a point where it cannot be resurrected. That would be a shame because money would 'talking' alright...and Ford would likely be losing it, not making it.

Middle-aged guys who want 'performance' in a car also want luxury and 'prestige'. They are not into being uncomfortable. That's why the BMW was such a hit in the '90's. It was 'different' (foreign), powerful, responsive and - relatively - expensive. Now, even Cadillacs have suspensions that allow you some road feel and engines that actually have some pick-up. Most of the FWD/AWD Japanese luxury cars (Accura, Avalon, Infiniti, Lexus) have very refined engines (often at or close to 300 HP) with more-than respectable 0-60 and quarter-mile times...most with automatic transmissions, leather interiors, climate control, a killer stereo and a navi system included. Expensive, yes, but a lot of car and with all the power most middle-aged moms and dads can handle.

Some over-40 guy looking for a 'toy' usually wants luxury and power. He doesn't want his kid's car. That's why the Mercury Marauder - a Ford experiment - didn't sell. It had 'muscle' - but not enough panache. It was also expensive for what you got...a Mercury. A Mercury doesn't impress the neighbors. A Lexus does. A Lexus that makes the owner/driver feel like a rich guy with a sophisticatied machine at his fingertips sells. A warmed-over Mustang clone does not.

However, even if a four-door 'Mustang' SUV could be manufactured, I doubt it would appeal to a very wide audience. Mustang fans would hate it on principal and those middle-aged folks it was supposed to sell to would rather have a sophisticated foreign AWD machine to play with. Preferably one with a 'prestige' nameplate, not the marque of his kids car.

I could be wrong but I don't see this idea of a near-desperate Ford bastardizing the Mustang name to grab a few hoped-for sales as doing anything but failing.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

If this plan is indeed under consideration by Ford, then they must have a short memory. Don't they remember the response to the Mustang II and the uproar when they planned to introduce the FWD Mustang (Probe)? If they do want a sporty 4 door sedan and/or station wagon why not name it a "Crown Victoria" or some other classic name that implies performance and luxury. Not Mustang

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Quote:

O.K. You're either a Ford PR employee or, more likely, simply miss the point. I'm guessing the latter.

Response:

Your right, I am not a Ford PR employee,(they would probably pay better though) however I have not missed the point

Quote:

Besides, a Ford employee would know full well that the Ford 'umbrella' already includes the cars you listed in your post. Especially the MUSTANG (as you put it).

Response:

I am well aware Mercury, Lincoln, Astin Martin, Landrover are all independant companies owned by ford, however the Mustang name is still preceded with the FORD company name, thus mustang is not its own company.... hence why I said "Mercury, Lincoln, Astin Martin, Landrover, and MUSTANG"

I agree to sell a four door mustang or stationwagon mustang would be a bastardization of the famed mustang name. I guess the point I was trying to make was:

Allthough I love my Fords, I wouldn't put it past them to do anything to make a profit.

After all we are talking about a company that had the technology to put 4 wheel disc brakes on an 86 mustang SVO but couldn't even offer it as an option for the 87 GT, why do you ask, they sacraficed performance to save a couple bucks per unit.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKER

I agree to sell a four door mustang or stationwagon mustang would be a bastardization of the famed mustang name. I guess the point I was trying to make was:

Allthough I love my Fords, I wouldn't put it past them to do anything to make a profit.

After all we are talking about a company that had the technology to put 4 wheel disc brakes on an 86 mustang SVO but couldn't even offer it as an option for the 87 GT, why do you ask, they sacraficed performance to save a couple bucks per unit.
If, as I understand it, you are stating that you expect Ford to cynically bastardize the Mustang name in order to sell a few more cars, than we basically agree. I thought you favored the plan. It's a very bad idea so, they'll quite likely do it. That's why executives get paid the big bucks. Any wonder Ford stock is worth about the same as a used Kleenex® tissue these days?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Thats about right, It is too bad you can't hear sarcasim in type written form.(thats how i was typing it in my first post).. I have never favored a fourdoor, frontwheel drive, or even a 4 cylinder mustang (except the SVO of course)

Instead of calling it a Crown Victoria (the name reminds me of drunks and puke) how about Galaxy 500?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #13
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

May I ask why Crown Vics remind you of drunks and puke?

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 AM   #14
bmxmon
Registered Member

Ya know, if ford does look back to the mustang II, that might not be good for us, as if memory serves me the 74 mustang was a huge hit. In all honesty most mustangs are not real muscle machines. Most mustangs I see driving around are v6 automatic chicks cars. I dont think any of the domestic manufacturers can really compete with the upper class foreign car makers, Ford Chevy Dodge just doesnt have the presitge that BMW, Mercedes ect. has. (the bling bling!!) I think if anything Ford/Chevy/Dodge should stick to what they do well; cheap cars and trucks.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Company denies reports it is considering making Mustang variants.
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
POSTED: 5:35 p.m. EST, December 15, 2006

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Company released a statement today calling reports that the company would make four-door variants of its Mustang sports car "not true."

"The Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car," the statement says.

The term "2+2" refers to a car, like the Mustang, with small back seats.

The current issue of the auto enthusiast magazine AutoWeek includes a report that Ford was considering making four-door variants of the next-generation Mustang, possibly including a wagon.

"We are standing by our sources for that story," said Bob Gritzinger of Autoweek, acknowledging that the company might have changed its mind.

Ford's statement does not mean that the company would never manufacture a vehicle using the fundamental engineering or even some design cues from a future Mustang, Ford Brand Communications Manager Alan Hall said.

But the Mustang name will only be attached to the classic Mustang-style car, Hall said.

"You have to appreciate that we treat the Mustang as one of our crown jewels," said Ford marketing spokesman Jim Cain, "and you don't wear them to every party."

Ford will unveil a concept car called "The Interceptor" at the Detroit Auto Show in January. That car will be based on the Mustang's rear-wheel-drive architecture but it will not be a Mustang, the company emphasized in its announcement.

There are currently no production plans for that vehicle, the company said.
Dont worry, it aint happening.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
richs347
Registered Member

As long as they just use the platform, and not the name, I don't care. Just keep the Mustang the Mustang. A 2dr AWD V8 would be nice, but I don't want to see a station wagon or SUV called the Mustang. It can't be hard to come up with a different name. However, could you imagine the increase in buyers for an AWD version that resonded to mods like the current Mustang? - and was strong enough to be beaten on. Maybe a Cobra with a AWD option. As much as I enjoy having zippy traction and loads of fun with the rwd, the AWD does kick butt. Then I could I ditch my WRX as my winter vehicle. Exotic cars like the Lambo and Porsche have realized great gains in both handling and traction with the AWD. ....and I hate to mention it, but some of the AWD rice burners with a bit of tweeking are great off the line. ...ok rambling a little off topic with the station wagon Mustang..

I love my Mustang and technology needs to keep up with new production vehicles, but please not at the expense of ruining the car.

www.mustangpartstech.com

Last edited by richs347; 12-21-2006 at 12:02 AM..
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #17
Mr 5 0

Thumbs up Re: time to start the hate letters to ford

If the counter-statement from Ford that claims the Mustang will remain a "two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car" is true, then I'm good with that.

Of course, to be competitive, Ford has to try variants of SUV's, AWD sedans and so on. However, as long as these future vehicles are not marketed under the Mustang marque, who really cares?

That, generally, in any given model year, less than half of the Mustangs sold are V-8's is true, and has been for a long time. So what? The 'real' Mustanger knows what a Mustang is. Even the corporate spokesman seems to understand this when he used the phrase "performance car" to describe the Mustang. While the V-6 models are passable and tolerated by hardcore Mustang fans as necessry to keep the 'brand' marketable (and the Mustang affordable) most diehard 'Stangers want a V-8.

For perspective: in 1955, the then relatively 'new' Chevrolet Corvette came with the choice of a 6 cylinder or 195 HP V-8 engine for the first time. Chevrolet wisely produced only 700 '55 'Vettes. 693 had the V-8 engine. They knew their market. You might buy a '55 T-Bird for it's 'style' but you bought a Corvette for speed. Mustang owners may not be quite that hard-core, granted, but the 'real' Mustang aficionado (us) knows that a V-8, RWD Mustang is the 'real thing. Heck, even Ford corporate press hacks seem to know that.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Ford PR is obviously trying to run a coverup of their horriific, yet all too common, mistake about marketing the Mustang name. It seems as though Ford nearly finds a way to wipe the Mustang off the face of the map every 10-15 years or so.

Anyway, if Ford wants to compete against the Dodge Magnum in the ultra niche high powered wagon segment, why not take their Fairlane concept, beef it up and revive the name "Thunderbolt"? I don't think there are a lot of Ford enthusiasts that hold the Thunderbolt name nearly as dear as they do Mustang.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default relax...relax!!

Calm down everyone....calm down.
This link should help us all sleep better at nights now.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/ford-4...-not-true.html
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #20
Mr 5 0

Exclamation Re: time to start the hate letters to ford

I think we got it the first time the statement from Ford denying any 4-door or SUV 'Mustangs' were in the works was issued. That was nearly two weeks ago.

Using the Mustang platform for non-Mustang vehicles is a far cry from making a 4-door econo-car and calling it a 'Mustang'. I agree with the ModdedMustang website editorial - that this whole '4-door Mustang' nonsense may have been a 'trial balloon' from Ford (that was 'popped', fast) or else just someone's complete lack of understanding regarding something they heard or read that they decided to put on the web without any verification, which often happens. Hey, it's just the internet. Let's not take this stuff too seriously.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: