MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2001, 12:19 PM   #1
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Question Ways to stop Tailgating????

I was just wondering what everyone does to
stop some one from riding up on them when
they are driving down the road. Not some one
reving up on you to get you to race. Just
you basic pos person who is such a hurry the
stick to you like glue. I am starting to
feel like I have a bumper sticker that say
please ride my a**.
Last night some pos in a early 90's ranger
came flying up on me. I was travelling
behind another car(who was doing about 47 in
a 45). I kept slowing down, and he just kept
creeping farther up on me to where I could
see his wiper blades. Finally after about
doing this 3 times, I shifted down in to 3rd
and floored it and went around the guy in
front of me to get this guy off of me. Then
he goes and turns a mile up on a side
street. I guess he was in a hurry to get
home. But, anyway, How do you deal with
a**es like this. I am tired of dealing with
it.

------------------
94 Mustang Cobra: off-road h-pipe, 3:73 gears, motersports underdrive pulleys, MAC cold air induction, MAC 1 1/2 inch lowering springs, K&N Air filter, Maximum Motersports caster/camber plates. steeda tri-ax shifter, Motorsports King Cobra Clutch with Steeda Cable Linkage.(its a gripper!)
94 Thunderbird SC: only mod is a K&N air filter. But she runs very well and hard.
WHITECOBRAGIRL94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:23 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do is to give yourself more cushion between you and the car in front of you in case it stops or slows down suddenly.
Every once in a while I lose it and slam on my brakes and flip people off, but nothing good has ever come of it...
I had some retard the other day pass me on the shoulder of the freeway with half his car riding in the dirt. I wanted to chase him down and kill him, but you just have to figure that an idiot like that will eventually seal his own fate with driving like that...
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:42 PM   #3
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

I usually leave at least a car length and a
half between me and car in front. What made
me so mad this time is I was not the reason
he could not go faster, and I was like don't
take it out on me idiot, so when I finally
passed the guy in front he could ride that
ones butt.
I use to slam on the breaks sometimes, but I
really don't want to know how bad their
reaction time sucks and they hit me.
Sometimes want one those fantasy cars that
shoot out oil slicks or nails or a bomb to
get them away and save everyone else from
dealing with them.
Old 03-15-2001, 01:08 PM   #4
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Cool

This has more to do with sitting at a red light than actually moving...

Ya know those big *** trucks that have bright bright bright headlights? Well, when they shine those things in my face, I turn my side mirors to hit them in the face with their own lights! BWAHAHAHAAA That keeps em away for awhile.

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:16 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I turn my headlights on and off real quick. It makes it look like my brakes are comeing on. I do this twice if they still don't back off a brake check them. What do I care if they hit me, I need a new car anyway.

Once I was really pissed and this S-10 was tailgating me. I was in my brothers GT. So I get on the brakes and slowed down to about 25 or 30. When he went to go around me I slamed it into second and floored it. Then I slowed back down to 25. Every time he tried to go around me I do the same thing

he he hee

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 175,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:45 PM   #6
Try Me
Registered Member

If you're moving, someone here on MustangWorks came up with a pretty good solution.

- Slow down, very slowly, adjust your rear view mirror so you can see the person behind you and stare at them as if you were a freaked out maniac with look of death. It works for me L.O.L!

- You can wait t'ill you come to red light, put on hazards, get out of your car, walk up to the offender and ask him if it's necessary to follow so close. This often leads to fist fights. It works for me too L.O.L!

Altough i prefer option 1.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:50 PM   #7
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

LOL, some *** hole pulled situation number 2 on me (because he almost hit me and I flicked him off) and when he gets to my drivers window I'm sitting there with a sawed-off hockey stick in my hands and a wierd *** look on my face!!! LOL He thought I was NUTS!!!

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:58 PM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

There is only one method I tried that works..

I had my shifter taken apart because I was switching to the B&M and hadn't finished. You could look down and see the road an all.

Anyways this ****** in a truck starts tailing me on the freeway and I get a good idea. There sits my ash tray full of pennies and an open hole to the road. So I start dropping pennies through the shifter hole and they are flying up behind my car bouncin off his. He probably thought my car was falling apart or road peices were flying up or something.

He sure backed his *** off! And I tried it again later. Same results

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, 2 1/4" exhaust, and 4.10's.
332RWHP@5500
351RWTQ@3750
Runs on 87 Octane!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 02:11 PM   #9
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Yah.. hard to ignore...

When im doing the speed limit and ppl taigate me i just drop down a couple of gears.. 3800rpm .. long tubes.. 4" exh.. it gets attention.

If they try to pass.. well good luck to them ; ]

Phil
Jerico Performance
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 03:33 PM   #10
Mustanguy

Cool

Quote:
There sits my ash tray full of pennies and an open hole to the road. So I start dropping pennies through the shifter hole and they are flying up behind my car bouncin off his. He probably thought my car was falling apart or road peices were flying up or something
*LMAO* thats funny!

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 03-15-2001, 03:33 PM   #11
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Jodi: I had to do the same thing with my
side mirrors when waiting in a parking lot
after a concert. The idiot was in a big F350
and his head lights(on dim) were shining
straight into my mirrors. So I did that,and
after about 5 minutes he turned them off.
Like he needed them in a parking lot full of
non-moving cars.
The penny thing is way funny!!
(sorry if this shows twice!)
Old 03-15-2001, 03:38 PM   #12
Tod
Registered Member

Angry

It's amazing how many ignoramis' are on the road. some of these people just don't have a clue.

I've also been passed offroad by an insane driver(in the frickin' MEDIAN), for what?; dude got off the next exit(same one i did)a mile down the road. it didn't help him any, i was behind him at the light ontop of the ramp. So i stopped short of him about 5 carlength's back and them did a burnout until i was within about 5 feet. needless to say, dude's eyes were the size of cantalopes. i stayed behind him for the next few miles through town just to make sure he got the message.

there's all kinds off terrible drivers out on the road, we've just gotta make sure we don't get killed by them. but sometimes it takes a dose of their own medicine to get the point across.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 03:58 PM   #13
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Hmm....i've always just carried a big stick. that or a shot gun. when I can't take anymore of it, I just hop out of the car and start waiving one or the other around like some Aborignie, and yelling my head off. It looks stupid, but would you mess with some guy flailing a stick around his head and acting like he's some sort of Neanderthal? Didn't think so.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 04:06 PM   #14
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

bigwhitecobra: Nearderthal? HUMmm? never
thought of you like that but, maybe you are
right? You can be crazy when ppl do stuff
like that to you. Of course you or dad just
chase them down. HEHE!did you ck your email?

Thanks everyone for the fun and interesting
answers.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:14 PM   #15
dinomite
The Dude

My friend who absolutely hates his car (Geo Storm) and wants a new one has a great strategy. When someone is even remotely close behind him, especially luxo cars, he will downshift 1-2 gears so that the engine almost redlines, and it slows him down a lot, but w/o brake lights. Very exciting
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 06:36 PM   #16
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I use to get all high powered when ppl got all up on my butt, but then I got into it too much and EVERYONE started pissing me off. I had to stop myself and say, "Wait a minute, this has gone too far. You have other things to worry about. Don't let the drive home (or wherever) be full of worries too!"

So know, I just take it easy, and if anyone tailgates, I just make sure there is enough stopping distance in front of me if anything happens and not even look back in my mirrors as if the idiot is not even there. I may even slow down a little. SCREW THEM! I got insurance and I am in need of a paint job.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green
that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither
behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:27 PM   #17
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Ah yes. I hate tailgaiters. I had one the other day going to work. Toyota extended cab 4x4. Needless to say he got to find out how good his reaction time is and his brakes. I have the habit of slamming on the brakes. He was maybe 3 feet if that behind me and slowly closing in. And I was already in a bad mood because, frankly, I'm not a morning person. It was pretty interesting to see the smoke poor out from under his truck when I hit the brakes and his truck go sideways a bit. He didn't do it again and I made to sure to give him the "I'm going to get out any sec and kick your *** " look when we got to stoplights. He just kinda waved and turned off.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS <---Must sell. $10,900 obo 56,000 miles
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:16 PM   #18
fastang
Registered Member

right on RedLilPony, I really hate trucks with blinding lights. Im gonna try that next time.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 10:58 PM   #19
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Try Me:
If you're moving, someone here on MustangWorks came up with a pretty good solution.

- Slow down, very slowly, adjust your rear view mirror so you can see the person behind you and stare at them as if you were a freaked out maniac with look of death. It works for me L.O.L!

- You can wait t'ill you come to red light, put on hazards, get out of your car, walk up to the offender and ask him if it's necessary to follow so close. This often leads to fist fights. It works for me too L.O.L!

Altough i prefer option 1.
Hmmmm option 2 is rather risky! Especially if the guy just got fired from the post office, went home found his best friend was doing his wife (even though about thirty minutes earlier she called him, said it was over and was leaving him for another woman), checked the mail and found out it was audit time and that blood transfusion last month was tainted!. Could get rather bloody (extreme I know but hey with like a cajillion people in the world even .00001% probablities get big )

My simple answer, just pull over to another lane if possible. obviously the other guy is in a hurry (for some reason) unless you've got a mean streak and like messing with people (note to self remeber this advice ) and let them by. Perosnally I couldn't give a rat's *** about tailgaters. especially when its a one lane road. In that case I'm the HMFIC so ride my *** if you want I'm still master of your destiny PEON
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 11:04 PM   #20
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhitecobra:
Hmm....i've always just carried a big stick. that or a shot gun. when I can't take anymore of it, I just hop out of the car and start waiving one or the other around like some Aborignie, and yelling my head off. It looks stupid, but would you mess with some guy flailing a stick around his head and acting like he's some sort of Neanderthal? Didn't think so.

Another neanderthal packing a loaded weapon looking to kill another neanderthal or a cop just itching to make an arrest. A news crew looking for a good reason to do a story on gun control, a ah, thats about it I guess
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote