MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 01:48 AM   #1
lyinbrian's92GT
Registered Member

Angry tranny problems

i have been noticing my tranny making noise in second gear...and i am loosing power...like the engine is serging when i step on the gas...do i need to rebuild the tranny or is it something else? also i need to get some headers...any thoughts on brands?

------------------
92GT,K&N,electricfan,underpullies,crossdrills,catb ack,shifter
lyinbrian's92GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 05:35 PM   #2
CJ's94GT
Registered Member

Do you have an auto or manual? Is it just in 2nd gear or can you get it in other gears?

If it's an auto, have you checked the fluid level? If it is a T-5, have you tried adjusting the clutch? Will it go into third? Is it making grinding, popping noises like a box of rocks?

As for headers, what do you want to do with your car? If you drag race, go with long tubes. Daily driver, I like unequal length shorties. Do you want shiny, chrome plated jobbies or can you live if you can't see your reflection in them?

I only wanted another 150 hp for my daily driver, so I went with Ford Motorsport unequal length shorty stainless headers. They are not pretty at all, but, they work just fine and will probably never need replacing.
CJ's94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 05:43 PM   #3
lyinbrian's92GT
Registered Member

Thanks for responding, i have a t5 and the sounds are just coming from 2nd gear..the other gears work fine but i have notice a reduction in power..i will try to adjust the clutch..thanks for he information
Quote:
Originally posted by CJ's94GT:
Do you have an auto or manual? Is it just in 2nd gear or can you get it in other gears?

If it's an auto, have you checked the fluid level? If it is a T-5, have you tried adjusting the clutch? Will it go into third? Is it making grinding, popping noises like a box of rocks?

As for headers, what do you want to do with your car? If you drag race, go with long tubes. Daily driver, I like unequal length shorties. Do you want shiny, chrome plated jobbies or can you live if you can't see your reflection in them?

I only wanted another 150 hp for my daily driver, so I went with Ford Motorsport unequal length shorty stainless headers. They are not pretty at all, but, they work just fine and will probably never need replacing.
lyinbrian's92GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 11:41 PM   #4
CJ's94GT
Registered Member

Sounds like it is toast. The main problem with the T-5 is that once you blow them, the case is usually junk. I'd definately start hitting the classifieds for a spare. You also might try skipping 2nd, run first gear up to 4000 then going directly to third.

If at all possible, I'd stop driving it right now. If 2nd gear is busted up, you got debris in the bottom of the trans and if a chunk gets somewhere it shouldn't, it can be real bad news.

You been powershifting or doing a lot of burnouts in this thing? If all you done is what's in your sig, that car shouldn't have shelled the tranny out.
CJ's94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 06:05 PM   #5
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

I doubt it's the clutch....you would have problems in all gears if it were.
Check the classifieds...i just saw 2 different 3550's for $1350...and $1100
My guess is it's toast.
Synchro's and gears probably worn...usually not worth rebuilding. Gonna cost about $800 when it's all said and done.
Brand-new t-5 from D&D is $799

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote