MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-24-2001, 12:00 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Talking Made the decision....Going with the Lentech!!

I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to answer my tranny call. I appreciate the opinions. I spoke with Len, the owner of Lentech today and we discussed my personal needs as far as driveability and part-time racing. He suggested I get the Street Terminator Plus which can handle 700HP. He also advised me to stay away from a trans brake as "It won't really help your 60ft times, and you'll be driving it much more on the street than on the strip" He said a 9.5 in. torque convertor would be great and explained to me that the overdrive will have a lock-out feature (like most electronically controlled cars.) The tranny includes some nice things like a billet 1 piece chrome input shaft and comes with a limited warranty....which is something Dynamic never mentioned. Len also explained to me that the AOD is a far superior tranny and is more durable than a C4 or C6, which surprised me. My main reason for choice here is the fact that I want to be able to cruise once in a while on the highway and not have to bring gas with me. But seriously, if I went with the C4 from Dynamic I think I'd get pissed that I couldn't go anywhere without spending 30 bucks on gas. I hope I'm making the right decision as this tranny (along with everything else) ain't cheap!! Any thoughts??

------------------
Almost done

93 GT, Undecided btw Lentech AOD & Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System..etc
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I forget the user name but there is one of the top trophy stock guys that's running 11's with a Lentech AOD and has had zero problems with it. I think it's a good choice.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:26 PM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

The user name is: jeff chambers, he's also a moderator of another forum
Old 05-24-2001, 02:52 PM   #4
Jeff Chambers

The Lentech folks are absolutely fantastic to work with. You won't be sorry with your decision. I talk with Len about once a week just to keep him up-to-date on how our racing is going.

I can't say enough good things about the Lentech AOD. Its been the best investment we've ever made in parts for our Mustang. The car is running quicker, faster, more consistent and more reliably than it ever did with the T5. Of course, for racing I've got both the transbrake and lock-up converter options with mine. The lock-up is like a little 50 shot of N2O after I shift to driver. You can feel the car pull down and then start building MPH as you drive it out the back door. The transbrake is awesome for reaction times. I've been gettin numerous .450 lights (pro tree) during competition that just leaves the stick guys at the line.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions whatsoever about the Lentech.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.611 Seconds / 116.7 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 02:58 PM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I think I will be doing the same thing when the time comes.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

First of all thanks for the comments. As you know, building a hot rod takes a lot of time, effort, and bucks. It's nice to know that I can go somewhere and look for some advice and get some than is trustworthy. I called Lentech but Len was gone and I spoke to Chris. He had nothing but good things to say about you, so that's really cool. I'd like your opinion as to what type of AOD I get from Len. About last September I bought a 93 GT (minus motor and tranny)from New Hampshire. The car is gorgeous and has only 60K on it (w/a 8pt cage, full drag suspension, and a shute). The guy needed money and had to let go of the car. It was doing 9's at 148 mph before they took everything out. The motor I will be getting back in less than a month is a blueprinted and balanced 1969 351W stroked to 393 with a Scat crank, SRP forged pistons, Eagle rods, etc and a main girdle w/ windage tray. Heads are Edelbrock (emissions legal) Performer, with matching 5.8 Fuel Injection from Edelbrock also. I've made an honest attempt at getting this car on the street by going EFI with a "mild" hydraulic flat tappet Comp. X-treme Energy cam, BBK shorties w/H-pipe, Smog pump, etc. Almost every part has a carb # on it. That's my decision for staying away from Dynamic and a C4. I want to go for nice rides on the highway AND fly down the strip. So far, it seems as if Len and Chris are saying that a Street Terminator with a Strip Terminator valve body (minus trans brake) would be the way to go. What do you think? How much could I expect to spend on this, between 2-3K?? I also assume that since you have a trans brake, you probably have a smaller c.i. motor maybe like a 302, 306, or 347 stroker...right? Would you pay the big$$ again if needed?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff chambers:
The Lentech folks are absolutely fantastic to work with. You won't be sorry with your decision. I talk with Len about once a week just to keep him up-to-date on how our racing is going.

I can't say enough good things about the Lentech AOD. Its been the best investment we've ever made in parts for our Mustang. The car is running quicker, faster, more consistent and more reliably than it ever did with the T5. Of course, for racing I've got both the transbrake and lock-up converter options with mine. The lock-up is like a little 50 shot of N2O after I shift to driver. You can feel the car pull down and then start building MPH as you drive it out the back door. The transbrake is awesome for reaction times. I've been gettin numerous .450 lights (pro tree) during competition that just leaves the stick guys at the line.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions whatsoever about the Lentech.

Old 05-25-2001, 06:23 AM   #7
Jeff Chambers

It is a serious $$$ investment, but I'd do it all over again if needed. The initial cost isn't quite so hard to swallow when you figure you're getting a transmission that is more stout and reliable than the C4. Lentech has outlaw cars like Tim Forbes running mid-8's on Lentech AOD's that go an entire racing season without the need for tear-down or rebuild...no breakage. They've got a 1-year 'no questions' guarantee on the tranny and three years on the valve body. Every tranny leaving their shop is fully dyno'd before its shipped. I cut my first filter apart (remote filter) and there was absolutely NOTHING in it, so they do a thorough job in prepping the components & casing before its assembled.

I got the transbrake for consistency and advantage at the tree since my car is pretty much a trailer queen. I've also got a full manual valve body. Overdrive is still functional, but I can lock it out electronically. I also control converter lock-up electronically.

Explain to Len & Chris how you intend to use the car and they'll help you make the right decision on building the tranny with the parts that suit your use. I also sent them my TQ and HP curves to help them set me up with the right converter. Even though my tranny is setup as a race tranny, it runs super cool and would be perfectly streetable.

You've made the right decision IMHO. They'll steer you in the right direction with some of the other decisions you've got to make about the tranny.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team
Old 05-25-2001, 01:07 PM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks Jeff. You've made my decision MUCH easier. I'm really psyched now that I have the proper info. and am really glad that I didn't go for the C4. One more question...if you don't mind (I know I'm being a pain) but what do you mean by you control convertor lock-up manually?
Old 05-25-2001, 03:33 PM   #9
Jeff Chambers

Just like with the OD, lock-up is controlled electronically. After I shift to 3rd (D), I reach down to my console and flip a toggle switch that locks up the converter. As soon as I flip the switch, you feel the car kick, the motor pull down a little, and then the car just starts building MPH. Eventually, I'm going to have the lock-up on a timed relay so that it automatically brings on lock-up when I shift to 3rd, but right now I'm flicking the switch the old fashioned way. Its really slick. I can be right beside one of the stick cars when I shift to 3rd (and they've shifted to 4th). As soon as I lock up the converter, I drive right away from them.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
Chambers Racing Team
Old 05-25-2001, 07:30 PM   #10
redsn95vert
Registered Member

hey guys, I'm having major problems with my AODE, do you know if Lentech does anything with the AODE's. I'm on my 2nd tranny as it is and I'm looking at a C4, but from what I'm hearing from you guys I should talk to them. Anyone have a number or their website?
Thanks,
B.J.

------------------
95 GT convertable, 3.73 gears, bbk off road h-pipe, march underdrive pullies, Saleen wires, custom made cold air induction,
Cobra intake w/ 65mm tb
GT40 heads, flowtech headers
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 08:04 PM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

You gain MPH when you lock it up? This sounds crazy. Lock-up is not for performance, as you lose all your torque multiplication. Have you tried not locking it up? Im guessing your times would be better.

You say you can feel it "pulling your motor down", and that is not a good thing when drag racing.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 12:43 AM   #12
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. But I ran into a little problem and can't get the Lenech AOD. At the very last second I spoke with my engine builder and he reminded me my motor has alrady been balanced with a C4 flywheel (13 1/4 length) and my budget is running thin to the point where I don't want to change flywheel and eat over 300$ to spend over 3K on a tranny. I really appreciate the help but I've spent too much to waste more now. I'll have to wait for next time :-)
Old 05-26-2001, 08:53 AM   #13
jchambers

As far as the lock-up goes, at that point in the track the torque muliplication is minimal, at best. By locking it up, you remove all slip from the converter and slip is HP that's not making it to the wheels, but is being lost as friction in the converter. I haven't tried not locking up, but I'll give it a shot sometime. The trick is to lock it up in third when your engine RPM very nearly matches the output RPM so that you essentially go to direct drive through the transmission. I know the guys playing with AODEs in competition are locking it up in each gear to minimize the slip losses altogether.

Stang_ROTY. Sorry to hear you're not going the Lentech route. Have you checked with anyone to see if the C4 flexplate could be modified to accept the AOD? I'm not sure on the differences, so I'm not sure if it could be done. I know my flexplate is a 161-tooth with the 50in-oz balance for the 302. There might be a flexplate out there that wouldn't upset your engine balancing. I'm assuming you went with a 157-tooth flexplate for a small C4 bell housing. I know a Street Bandit racer (one of the top racers at that) that is making the change from a C4 to the Lentech AOD so it can be done. He might be neutral balanced though, I can't say for sure.

Redsn95vert. Check out their website at www.lentechautomatics.com or give them a call at (613)838-5390. I know that Len has been talking about the AODE market, but I'm not sure what they're making at this time.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.611 Seconds/116.7 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Old 05-26-2001, 10:34 AM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

Cool. I guess if your making big power, the torque multiplication isnt helping you so much, and lock up is the way to go.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Old 05-26-2001, 11:11 AM   #15
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks Jeff. I wish there was something I could do but if I was to do it, than I'd be another month waiting for the motor. I've been planning for so long and been through so many delays already (newest one being that the bearing were from a '76 351W). I learned my lesson. Good luck this season.

Quote:
Originally posted by jchambers:

Stang_ROTY. Sorry to hear you're not going the Lentech route. Have you checked with anyone to see if the C4 flexplate could be modified to accept the AOD? I'm not sure on the differences, so I'm not sure if it could be done. I know my flexplate is a 161-tooth with the 50in-oz balance for the 302. There might be a flexplate out there that wouldn't upset your engine balancing. I'm assuming you went with a 157-tooth flexplate for a small C4 bell housing. I know a Street Bandit racer (one of the top racers at that) that is making the change from a C4 to the Lentech AOD so it can be done. He might be neutral balanced though, I can't say for sure.

Redsn95vert. Check out their website at www.lentechautomatics.com or give them a call at (613)838-5390. I know that Len has been talking about the AODE market, but I'm not sure what they're making at this time.

Old 06-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #16
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up

To back up what Jeff is saying,not that he needs it,but Tom Payn in NMRA Pure Street killed that class in 2000 with his SN95 body style Mustang with a Lentech automatic,it got so bad that they added weight to him to try and slow him down,in my years watching and racing most of the time the auto guys get the weight break but Payn was killing them in 2000.

Seen Tim Forbes made the switch to a Lentech and he has been running mid 9's in Street bandit all of last year with a 392 Victor headed monster and was killing them on the tree.
You can't go wrong with a Lentech in my opinion,to me it is a secret slowly being revealed.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #17
rbatson

Question Hmmm

This has me wondering.. I had a PI 3000 lockup convertor and the car didn't run too well. PI said it was the tune of the car, I was wanting a lentech vb anyhow so I called them and they told me my problem was the lockup convertor. I send the PI unit back for the 1 time free re-cal(to nonlockup) and got the lentech vb. Now, I'm completely happy with the set up, lentech is great!! But why would he suggest a nonlockup if it would have been ok with a lockup? It definitely burns more gas now.

I must be missing something..
Old 06-14-2002, 12:44 AM   #18
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Holy, old can of worms! This thread started in May of last year!
Old 06-14-2002, 03:59 AM   #19
Mach 1
Registered Member

Yeah, who dug this out of the archives, and why? Lets step into the present, shall we?

Rbatson - I also talked to Lentech on the phone, and the guy told me I should be able to drive my car for a couple weeks with the TV cable disconnected and not do any damage, and that he has cars come in all the time with the TB bushing cracked, or whatever, and he just hooks it back up and they drive away into the sunset happily ever after.

That couldnt be farther from the truth. Your AOD will burn up immediately when driving with the TV cable disconnected. After this bit of advice, I lost some faith in Lentech. Maybe I just had the "dumb guy" on the phone that day or something?

Theres a lot of people running good times with Lentechs, so they must be doing something right, however I believe they are overpriced. I would buy their valve body, but not sure of the whole tranny.
RHC member #142
Old 06-14-2002, 04:04 PM   #20
IBStanged87
Registered Member

I think you made a great decision.

87 Mustang LX hatchback
11.332 ET 119.04 MPH 1.587 60'
302 with Anderson Typhoon Intake,
Accufab 75mm Race TB, Anderson B-31 Custom Grind cam,
TF Twist Wedge Head's, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers, 80MM Mass Air,
Anderson 4" Power Pipe,175 hp NOS dry, 4.10 gears, Lentech AOD and converter, SSM bars,
70/30 Koni struts, 50/50 rear shocks, 1 1/2" Lowered Moroso springs. Weld draglites 15x3.5 frt 15x8 rear, 255lph intank w/ NOS booster pump
IBStanged87 is offline   Reply With Quote