MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
dinomite
The Dude

Post ugh, more anti-racing press

just saw "deadline discovery", and one of the pieces was on street racing. they had a deputy DA from LA, where it is illegal to WATCH a stree race apparently. one thing she said (in addition to saying that we need to prosecute the hell out of everyone) was that street racing would be lessened if we had more legal race tracks. i think that is a really good point, at least near metro areas, i have to drive 2 hours to get to the track.

the other thing i thought was funny was one of the videos of the races they had was a 99+ v6 racing a saturn.

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinomite:
the other thing i thought was funny was one of the videos of the races they had was a 99+ v6 racing a saturn.

I just wanted to say one of my best buds has a 95 saturn w/ a 2001 saturn OHC engine in it and it will run BALLS TO THE WALL
I have benn like 120 in it multiple times and it has a lot of pick up I have seen him wax quite a few 10 billion horse ricers(billion he he) so dont knock it till ya try it have a nice day

------------------
My First Stang
No Substitute For Cubic Inches!

BURN EM UP
gcdrumboy@yahoo.com

5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 10:08 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Oh jeez, all this time I've been ignoring Saturns. Now I have to watch out for them? First I was suprised be a Nissan and now it's gonna be a fast Saturn?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:02 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

A Saturn can probably do 120 because they're aerodynamic, not because they have power and are quick. Top speed is no indication as to how quick a car is. I put fart piped Saturns in the class of ricer.

As for L.A., the ricer craze probably started there. This, to me, means that the smog makes them retarded or something. They SHOULD crack down on those people.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg:

As for L.A., the ricer craze probably started there. This, to me, means that the smog makes them retarded or something. They SHOULD crack down on those people.
That's hilarious Jimberg, i think you're right!
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:32 PM   #6
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Well I have heard that some of those saturns are quick little buggers...faster than me for sure. I think those new V6 mustangs are plenty fast to get into trouble. I drove one with a 5 speed and it hauled pretty good. I raced my friend the other day in his 95 S10 and beat him although nobody would have known that we were racing except that he spun a little bit.

------------------
Rob meister
87 Lincoln Continental
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 12:09 AM   #7
oldman
Registered Member

My wife bought a 2001 Saturn for her 40+ mile commute and I really like the mileage (36-37). Although it has a decent little engine and my yongest son can attest, it will do 97 mph (in a 70 mph zone), it ain't no hotrod. I did smoke a Nissan 200sx once trying to get to a turning lane ahead of us. Junior ricer did do a fly-by after I made the lane change.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:46 AM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Ya, um, I guess I'll be watching out for Saturns now....

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 05:34 AM   #9
Vector
Registered Member

Why does everyone ***** about fly-bys? If I'm in the mustang, driving on the highway, and there are people going slower than I want to go, then I'll punch it all the way to the floor and fly-by everyone so that I can be up ahead. I'm not interested in a race, I just want to get past these cars. If I fly-by another mustang or a Z-28 I'm not challenging him to a race or entertaining delusions of kicking his *** , I just passed him because he was going too slow!

Do I have to slow down next to every car and see if he wants to race for his right to be ahead of my car? I think not.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:22 AM   #10
Capri306

Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:42 AM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

A fly by occurs when the loser basically gets his butt handed to him off the line but they feel it is necessary to demonstrate that they can drive past the speed limit. It's quite comical actually.

I had this happen to me the other day when I was driving up MN 65. This idiot in a Grand Am kept trying to race me at each stop light. I just accelerated briskly enough to always defeat him ( About 1/3 throttle) . After about the 4th time losing, he pulls up right next to me. I hate having people on the side of me so I sped up. He sped up. I slowed down, he slowed down. It was annoying. So I gun it up to about 100 to get some distance. He tries to keep up but I wasted him, of course. He catches up and is in the right lane, I'm in left. We're approaching traffic. I speed up to pass the guy in the right lane faster since I don't like to sit in someone's blind spot anymore than I like them to sit in mine. The Grand Am guy starts speeding up, too, but I'm wondering where he intends to go being right next to me. I give it a lot more gas to clear my lane and give the Grand Am room to pass. The fool then accelerates and passes the car on the right shoulder. Did that moron think I would be impressed by his willingness to do something so stupid? I just slammed on my brakes at the next left turn lane and turned around. I didn't wany anything more to do with this fool.

That's basically the fly by mentality. I do tend to drive faster than traffic, but that's usually just long enough to give myself some breathing room. I really can't stand people who drive in packs when they don't have to just for the sake of not exceeding the speed limit. I REALLY hate being in stop and go traffic just because some idiots at the front want to ride in packs.

Man, I could write a book on this.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 08-14-2001).]
Old 08-14-2001, 12:57 PM   #12
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

A fly-by by definition...

Punk 18-year old in a Civic with a K&N and fart-can sees a Mustang a little farther ahead. Knowing his measly Civic stands no chance, he downshifts to second and continues to floor the accelorator for about 20 seconds until he hits his power-band (actually I'm not sure a Civic has a power-band) and then shifts to third. By this time (about 30 seconds later) he's doing 55-65 MPH and passes the Mustang which is still doing 45 MPH. The ricer just "won" a race against a Mustang!!!

Rice, it's whats for dinner!!!

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:47 PM   #13
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

man those civics are beasts...i saww one the other day blue w/nice rust accents on the fenders,fart pipe tied buy wut looked like a coat hanger...he must have downshifted like u said but this guuy must have had a type r sticker and when he did it the scheer power comin out just blew it off......after that he removed the type r sticker cuase it is way to much power(even for a proffesional racer like himself)

JAMES

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
RAGE_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 05:46 PM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

Remember, those professional civic drivers always double clutch.

The terser definition of a fly-by in my book would be when the loser of a race doesn't know they lost and continue to race. It's not just a simple, "Oh, I passed a Mustang".

------------------