MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ***Ventura Raceway Update*** (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=31656)

PKRWUD 11-27-2002 05:06 AM

***Ventura Raceway Update***

From todays newspaper...

Raceway contract gets fair's green flag

Despite complaints about noise, board renews agreement

By John Scheibe,
November 27, 2002

The Ventura Raceway won a reprieve Tuesday as the Ventura County Fair Board unanimously agreed to renew its contract for another year.

Renewal of the contract would have been almost automatic in years past, but the raceway has come under increased scrutiny in recent months, in part because of all the noise it generates. Some say the time has come for the 25-year-old raceway to find a new home away from Ventura.

But most of those who showed up at the fairgrounds on Tuesday came there to show their support.

Former Ventura Mayor Jack Tingstrom reminded the board of the raceway's historical role in Ventura and of the important part that automobiles and car racing have played in the development of Southern California, especially since World War II.

"Car culture is as much a part of Southern California as skiing and surf-boarding," Tingstrom said. And while the Ventura Raceway might appear to some as an out-of-the-way backwater track, Tingstrom said, it has served as a training ground and springboard for some big-name racers.

Some on the board, including President Greg Carson and Vice President Ginger Gherardi, have questioned whether the 25-year-old raceway still belongs in Ventura, especially given the downtown renewal and city efforts to encourage more people to live and shop there.

City officials say they receive hundreds of calls a year from residents around the city distraught by noise from the raceway.

But raceway supporters say the noise is a small price to pay for the clean, family fun and entertainment brought by the raceway.

"It's something that everyone can enjoy," supporter Jim Crawford said, noting raceway fans gathered the signatures of more than 15,000 people as part of their campaign to keep the raceway open. Signers included racing legends Mario Andretti and Tony Stewart.

Raceway promoter Jim Naylor agreed to do everything possible to decrease the noise as part of getting the raceway's contract renewed.

Naylor told the board the raceway would continue to work hard to be a good neighbor to Ventura.

"We have a ton to do still," he said. "This is the beginning and not the end."

Copyright 2002, Ventura County Star. All Rights Reserved.

I want to thank everyone here that helped out!!! You are all invited to come to a race next year, where I guarantee you'll have a great time!

Thanks again!

Take care,
~Chris

11-27-2002 07:56 AM

2 Words

Hell Yeah !! :cool:

bigred90gt 11-27-2002 10:28 AM

That's excellent news Chris!!! Congrats on yet another year at the track! I hope for the best in the next season for you and the team.

Caymon

DAN-MAN 11-27-2002 10:38 AM

Congratulations, Chris. However I believe that those people will try harder next year to get the track removed, don't you?

Daniel.

Extremestang 11-27-2002 01:47 PM

Awesome news Chris! :D

Crazy Horse GT 11-27-2002 03:53 PM

glad to hear it chris, couldnt be there, but i wrote them, take care.;) :D :D :cool:

Kamaro Killer 11-27-2002 04:27 PM

Cool!

Looks like you'll be seeing me up there again Chris! When the season opener nears, let me know, I'll be there! Congratulations Chris!

1969Mach1 11-28-2002 01:18 AM

Congrats Chris!!
I'd love to come, but you providing a plane ticket & accommodations? :D

§am.

PKRWUD 11-28-2002 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Congrats Chris!!
I'd love to come, but you providing a plane ticket & accommodations? :D

§am.

I've got a sofa, but srv1 has dibs on it.

:)

Take care,
~Chris

Crazy Horse GT 11-28-2002 01:28 AM

wait biatch if im gonna drive my gt through your front dooor srv1 gets rhe floor j/k lol. :p :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

ultraflo 11-28-2002 02:18 AM

Congrats!!! Best of luck to you next year.

And should I make it to Cali to visit, I'll sleep in the garage next to all of your tools Chris :D ...it is a heated garage, no? LOL

PKRWUD 11-28-2002 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ultraflo
Congrats!!! Best of luck to you next year.

And should I make it to Cali to visit, I'll sleep in the garage next to all of your tools Chris :D ...it is a heated garage, no? LOL

It never get's below 55 degrees, you won't need a heater. I'll give you an extra blanket if it get's unusually cold, though. :D

Marty-
Hey, I gave him my word, you guys can box it out. I do have a loveseat sofa too, though.

Take care,
~Chris

ultraflo 11-28-2002 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PKRWUD
It never get's below 55 degrees, you won't need a heater. :D

~Chris

Doh! :D Um, I'll get cold chills being in the presence of so many tools??? ...yeah :rolleyes:

:o ...wtf? That smilie doesn't look embarrased! Looks like..... well, er, uh... I won't go there (too late). ;)

PKRWUD 11-28-2002 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ultraflo
Doh! :D Um, I'll get cold chills being in the presence of so many tools??? ...yeah
Fine, I'll leave the compressor on, so if it get's too cold, all you have to do is bleed some air off until it kicks on. That thing generates some heat.

Screw it, I'll get a space heater, but keep it away from the parts washer!

You're not allergic to cats, are you?

Take care,
~Chris

11-28-2002 11:53 AM

Sweet!

Great news Chris! I may actually get to see a race there huh?

Where will I be sleeping? I don't think Garr and Oscar are going to want to share their couch with all these visitors though... :) LOL

Jenn:D

PKRWUD 11-28-2002 12:19 PM

Re: Sweet!

Quote:

Originally posted by Janeofalltrades
Where will I be sleeping? I don't think Garr and Oscar are going to want to share their couch with all these visitors though... :) LOL

Same place you did last time, silly.

Take care,
~Chris