MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-27-2001, 12:51 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Post puttin heads on tomorrow, any advice?

im gettin my heads back this evening and i'll be putting them on tomorrow starting in the morning, just seein if anyone has any advice for me about doin it, i already know everything about getting the rockers torqued properly,and the intake install stuff with the RTV and all, also i'll be using 30wt oil on the upper head bolts but what am i supposed to use on the lower ones? thread sealer maybe, whats it called? anything else i should do/look out for? thanks guys, i'll post my results of the ported heads and intake after my street testing tomorrow night

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rockers,intake or ported heads
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 12:59 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol

oh yah, since everything is out of the way i think im gonna remove all my smog crap, is it alot more work than just taking off the pump and plugging the holes in the heads and h-pipe, what about any vacuum lines that go to it?
Old 04-27-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Use RTV Black on everything including the lower head bolts. The blue stuff is bunk IMO.

Remember to go through the torquing pattern over and over until each bolt is still torqued when you get back around to it. Do that for the heads, intake, and everything.

I went ahead and used the cork gaskets at the front and back of the intake and sealed them down with Permatex Indian Head gasket sealer, then put a good bead of RTV in each corner.

When you put the RTV around the coolant ports be sure to take your finger and smooth the stuff out so it doesn't glob into the intake ports. I just used a nice thin, even layer.

Use the RTV black on the valve cover gaskets too. A nice thin layer will be plenty and the gaskets will come off a lot easier should they have to be removed again.

On the smog stuff, get rid of the pump and everything attached to it. Plug any left over vacuum lines and you'll be set. Yes, it's as easy as that.

Good luck Drew, and bring that sucker by my work when you get it done. There's a nice stretch of road near there that we can go play on

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 04-27-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
Skankin
Registered Member

Run a tap & die over everything... then you don't even need the oil (if it drips around the gasket, you could get screwed).

I had to use teflon tape on the lower studs to get them to seal.

The form-a-gasket thread sealant with teflon (it's white) is good stuff. Their aircraft grade sealant (brown) never seems to set right for me.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 11:40 AM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Hey man. I hear you got her going already. Congrats!
So, how's she run?

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 04-28-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
withamc
Registered Member

Well? How's it going?
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 09:46 PM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Yeah! How's it run? Updates! We need updates!

------------------

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 04-28-2001, 10:59 PM   #8
fiveohpatrol

it ran strong earlier in the day but tonight i came across a big problem, no oil pressure, read my new post about it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: