MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2001, 01:50 AM   #1
Mustanguy

Default I'd do ANYTHING for a credit card *LOL*

*LOL* Yeah it's true, right now a credit card would sure come in handy. Never had one actually.

I promised someone they are gonna get a remote control, gas powered, R/C monster truck. Thing is, I've run outta funds to get this truck,so was sittin here thinkin how nice a credit card would be at this point.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:39 AM   #2
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Maybe next year......
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 09:28 AM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Wink

geez they send me like 5 aday in the mail i usually cut them up they can get you in trouble,fast but lee slipped one by me somehow da--it

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 10:21 AM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I got about 10 months tell I can get mine. =) You have to be 18 to get a credit card. It sucks though, I basicly just want a credit card to purchase stuff off the internet and my dad doesn't always want me to use his because of the high limit and he is afraid of fraud. But now he put his visa down to a low limit and we're using that to buy parts off the net. I just use my debit card around town though, only wish I could use that on the net.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:40 AM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

Mustanguy:

Credit cards can be a handy buying tool but they can also be dangerous to your financial solvency if not used very carefully.

It's too easy to order parts, buy things in stores or charge meals and gas to a credit card and partly think it's 'free money' while saying that you'll pay it all back. Right.

Then the bill comes in, it's three times what you can pay off now so you start making the 'Minimum Payment' (usually about $20. for every thousand you owe) and of course the interest is obscene - Mafia-style interest of around 20% - so you end up never paying the sucker off and just get into deeper debt. It's not fun anymore at that point.
Been there - done that.

I now use a debit card for all transactions that require a credit card (internet purchase, rental car, etc) and I have an American Express card for emergencies but that card doesn't allow you to make partial payments - the whole amount is due at once, so one does not charge on AMEX without knowing that you can pay the bill in three weeks.

For your situation, you might try a store credit account. They tend to be very liberal because they want you to buy there and having their card makes it easy. Of course you need to be 18 and have some income and a credit rating of some sort, in most cases. Worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, try borrowing from a friend or relative. If you don't want to go that route (or no one you know has any cash to lend) and you're really desperate, there is always the pawn shops. They pay about 10 to 20 cents on the dollar value of the item(s) you have to pawn.
Not a great deal but a last resort - if you have anything of real value to pawn and don't need big bucks. You can pay back the money and redeem the item(s) within six months in most cases. Look under 'Pawn Shops' or 'Money to Lend' in the telephone book.

Good luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 12:52 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Exclamation

Be very careful, I've racked up about 22,000.00 worth of credit card bills. I just enrolled in a credit consolidation program because suddenly I found myself over my head in bills. (2,100.00 a month in CC bills alone!!!) They are good to have, but you have to use your head!!
I sterted by getting a gas card and that built up credit. Good luck, and be careful!!!!
Old 12-22-2001, 12:58 PM   #7
dinomite
The Dude

Credit cards should simply be used for convenice (rather than carrying cash or writing checks, say) not as a loan tool as many people think they are.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 01:46 PM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs down

Credit cards are bad news, I've seen to many people get turned upside down with those things. I personly don't have any. If you don't have the cash, don't buy it. And more than a few people I know have had this happen to them....they were maybe late a day on a payment or maybe somehing else happend, and then the cc company will keep raising the interest higher and higher, then you can't get out of it. Thumbs down on CC's.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:23 PM   #9
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Yeh, you really have to know how to deal with your money. Like I am really good with my money. I save alot of my money, I just put it into the bank and save and save. Like I bought my stang (my dad and I went splits on the cost) but my friends wondered how I could afford it. But I just saved for it and managed my money. That's why debit cards are good. And if you have a big spending problem you can eve put a daily spending limit on them.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:01 PM   #10
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I luv my credit card. I don't go overboard with it. I just use it to buy car parts online. It works great in that sense. I did mess up and use it to buy my x box last week though. Oh well it is awesome.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 12:04 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

A credit card can be a powerful tool, if used properly. U want to build good credit, so you can buy a house in the future. Use it for convienance, not for a loan of large amounts.

I use mine all the time, just about everything I buy is on credit, BUT, I pay the full balance every month and incur no interest charges.

You have to have credit to get credit, so its kind of hard to get started. Do like mr 5.0 said, and get like a sears card or something. If you show them you want to buy something, they will practically give you the card. Buy some tools or a T.V. or something. Then start there with a good history, pay it off on time. Before you know it, youll have a Visa, mastercard, and be getting 10 in the mail every week.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 04:27 AM   #12
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
. I just use my debit card around town though, only wish I could use that on the net.
My debit card works on the net. It's the same thing as a visa, only a debit. Does it have a visa synbol and number on it? Mines does and works for everything.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote