MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2001, 07:31 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question What if things had been different?

I remember back many years (1984, I think) to when my dad was shopping for a new car to replace our 1974 Mustang II Coupe 2.8L V-6 in Red. When he found the car he wanted to replace it with he let me come along for the ride to pick it up.

I remember thinking how long that ride seemed, he wouldn't tell me what kind of car he had chosen, I know now that it was only a few minutes into a neighboring city. We got to the lot, it was later in the evening. I got out along with my mom and my dad showed me the car he had chosen. It was a White/Red bottom 1977 Mustang II fastback with the 302 V-8 and C-4 automatic. It had 76xxx miles on it, it was pretty clean. The price on the lot was $2700. Next to it was the car I wanted him to get. It was soooo much cooler. It was an early 80's newer body style Blue Pontiac Firebird hatchback. It was more money, I think in the area of $3500, and I begged my dad to get it. I thought that Firebird was much cooler than the Mustang II.

Well, a long story short, you can imagine the outcome, although I must admit, Dad did hear me out(I was 6-7), we took possesion of the 77 Mustang and drove home. That car served us well for more than a decade and over 100xxx more miles. It became my first car, run down as it had been before I got it, it had been sitting for 3 years when I started driving it, but it still fired up and ran just as smooth as the day it rolled off the new car dealers lot. I whooped many an unsuspecting opponent with the little 139hp@3200rpm and 248lb/ft@1800rpm 2700lb Mustang. The 302 revved quickly, and the C-4 was an excellent quick shifting tranny. That little Mustang II holds a special place in our family's heart and was a far better car than that Firebird could have ever hoped to be.

My little II was replaced by an 88 LX (4banger) , but to this day I wonder, if I had gotten my wish and my dad would have bought the Firebird, would I be an F-body guy right now?

Many people call the Mustang II the red headed stepchild of the Mustang family. I've even heard the car referred to as a "crunchy turd" LOL, mostly because if it's close relation to the Pinto. I submit this, the 1979 Mercury Zepher actually has a fox based platform. Does that make the fox stangs unwanted?

Personally, I think the Mustang II's are cool little cars. They are fun to drive, they are "cute" as I've witnessed many girls say, and they can also be pretty nice looking. Check this photo out that I found on this website and downloaded for my personal collection.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 02-24-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote