MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
PKRWUD

Unhappy Don Vesco Died

A gentleman named Don Vesco died this week, and when I read this in the newspaper, I paused and took a deep breath. Why? Let me explain.

About 13 years ago, I was a member of Joe Teresi's team that was determined to recapture the worlds record for the Worlds Fastest Motorcycle. We felt that record should be held by an American made bike, and put together a Harley powered streamliner which we took to the salt flats in Utah. Unfortunately, our attempt was cut short due to rain, and it would be another year later before we actually did it.

Anyway, the record we were after was set on a Kawasaki by a gentleman named Don Vesco. Don set 18 motorcycle and six automobile records during a career that started when he was only 16.

In 1970, he was the first person to ride a motorcycle at more than 250 mph. Five years later he broke the 300 mph barrier on his Silver Bird Yamaha, powered by twin Yamaha TZ750 engines. In 1978, he increased the record to 318 mph on a Kawasaki turbo, where it stood until we beat the record 12 years later.

He was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1999.

In 1986, Don broke his neck in an accident in which his car went 30 feet in the air. He lost an eye when he was hit by a rock while watching a sprint car race in 1996.

He did most of his tests on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, where he was instrumental in the "Save the Salt" effort.

He died last Monday, December 16, of prostate cancer at the age of 63. It just goes to show you that even the wildest of the wild are susceptible to things like cancer, which encourages me to live life to the fullest, every single day.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:55 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Sounds like he had a nice and eventful life. I'm sorry for any loss you feel with this tragedy. It's a real eye opener to see people you never thought would die because of the things they have gotten away, die of something like cancer. Makes you think, and realize how lucky some of us are.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 10:13 AM   #3
H.T's83
Registered Member

While I never met him, Don Vesco was a name familiar in my childhood home. It saddens me to hear this news. He influenced a great many people in the motorcycle world, and his presence will be sadly missed.

"HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!"
H.T's83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

My heart goes out to him and his family. He sounds like one hell of a guy.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Don Vesco and a life lived well

While we are all vulnerable to death at any age from myriad causes; car accidents to cancer to slipping on a wet floor, we all do need to realize, as Chris does, that we only get one chance here and most of us waste a large part of it on trivial things that don't amount to a hill of beans. We miss a lot of good things in life because of often unreasonable fears and timidness, worrying about the 'what if's' and what other people might think.

We argue, bicker and complain too much and rejoice too little. We sometimes overlook the beautiful to dwell on the sordid and then say that there is no beauty anymore, nothing good, nothing sacred, nothing worthwhile or worth keeping. Not true, of course. We find our treasures in our own way; another person we can love that will love us back, without qualifications or reservations. A child born of love that we can always be proud of. A job well done that cannot be claimed by others or called less than it is, as was the case with Don Vesco and his speed records. These are the real things in life and worth going after with all we have, putting the fears and 'what if's' aside and trusting our own instincts. Apparently, Mr. Vesco was the type of man who did this, and for that, I admire him.

To be totally honest, I never heard of Don Vesco before (I'm not into motorcycles in the slightest) but he sounds like the type of guy who took life by the horns and tried to wrestle it to the ground. A good guy, no doubt. He will be mourned and missed, I'm sure, and I regret his death from cancer as I regret the death of any man or woman that gets less than the bibical three score and ten years, especially when the death is from that terrible disease which we all hate and hope will someday be curable.

Thanks to Chris for the reminder that life is short and thanks to Don Vesco for showing us that it's worth living well.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
PKRWUD

That was beautiful, Jim. Thank you.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #7
Janeofalltrades

Default Thank you both!

Thanks gentlemen. Well done. Life is good! Thanks for the reminder, especially at this time of year when most people equate their worth by the number of cards and presents they receive and give.

I would say that reading this thread was one of my best presents yet!

~Jenn~
Old 12-22-2002, 05:09 PM   #8
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Thank you both!

Quote:
Originally posted by Janeofalltrades
I would say that reading this thread was one of my best presents yet!

~Jenn~
I totally agree Jenn !
The sun is shining outside my house right now ... my family is dry and well fed ... i'm going to go outside and take some deep breaths and promise myself that i will be at least a tiny bit more like Don Vesco and the rest of the pioneers of this world

Things I like to ponder

About taking chances:
"You can't steal second and keep your foot on first."

Whinning about what lifes delt you:
"There's no good or bad life Wyatt, there's just life."

A metaphor for wasting the talents God gave you:
"Are you gonna pull them pistols or just whistle Dixie?"

Merry Christmas to all you guys !
Rod
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 05:25 PM   #9
Janeofalltrades

Default And thank you Rod

Thanks Rod,

I went to work this morning, then came home at around 1pm. It was still a bit cloudy...But once you said Sun! I looked out and Tah-dah!......BEAUTIFUL.. A little cold..But, thanks! Now I'm off to wash the cars and enjoy the greatest gifts from God! Sunshine and life!

~Jenn~