MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Question What Political Party are you?

Hey, I've been reading a lot of political threads on this forum and learning more and more about political parties in my AP government class and I was wondering what party everyone belongs to.

It seems that the majority of people here are Republicans - and hate Democrats. I believe I'm a Republican also, like my parents (can't vote until July).
Have fun with this guys!

Later,

Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I am neither. Quite frankly, the party system is a joke. All it does is create a bipartisan atmosphere more centered on competition between the two parties than actually representing the people.

At least it's predictable for how legislators are going to align based on what party they are sponsored by. Since politicians are horrible liars, cheats, and theives, you wouldn't be able to figure out what they would do if they weren't running under the guise of a party.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Political party time!

I'm a conservative Republican. Surprise!

The two-party system is alive and well in America and the premise that they are both the same is easily disproven by simply looking at the difference between President Bush and former President Clinton. If you can't see the difference, you shouldn't bother to vote next time.

We get the government and the politicians we want.

If we allow 'our' party to nominate and back people who do not represent our views then we are just as responsible for the 'bad' politicians that generates as the party hacks that offer us these losers.

On the other hand, if we choose to stand back, sneer and claim that the 'system' is corrupted, we lose any chance to have the slightest effect on who gets elected and what laws are passed. If you want to fight, get in the game and don't just throw up your hands and complain.

I'm politically active but I don't back Republicans that don't reflect (at least) a majority of my views but I also understand that no politician will agree with me 100% , all the time.

I love partianship!

I want my State Representative, Congressman, Senator and President to fight the other side for my (our party) point of view. If he/she is going to go along with the other side all the time, why bother? There is a lot of difference between the Republican and Democrat parties and they can never agree on some important issues but they can- and do - compromise.
I believe they should, when possible, but in the end, I want my man/woman in Congress or wherever to fight for party principles.

That's why I strongly support President Bush. He's a staunch Republican but he compromises when he can. I don't agree with everything he's compromised on, but overall, he does a great job and is an excellent leader for the times we live in.

Did I mention that I was a Republican?
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:51 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Well most of us southerners get stuck being called Democrats.
I lean toward's the Republican side. Thank God Al BORE didn't win or we would be kissing bin Laden's rear end.

Sorry, I usually don't bring up politics or religion, it's always an argument, but Slick Willy and Bore really let this country go to h***** so if I had my way I would move to Spain & let all the Super-Powers have it out.

Call me a traitor or whatever.
I served 12 years in the military and all I got was lost buddies & bill's from VA for my effort's, so I will just say America is becoming the world's police-why?

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:55 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Republican.

God only know how Gore would have handled Sept. 11.

Go Dubya

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:02 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hey josh just a little change of subject, how much would it cost for me to get a ,ole miss state flag, i have the old ga. flag, & would like to get the,ole miss flag before all the crybaby's make them change it too, e-mail me or pm - my e-mail -crazyhorsegt@msn.com thank's,cya marty -the last rebel.

R H C- member # 1
Old 02-09-2002, 11:19 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Jim, I'm shocked! I always figured you as having a Nader sticker mounted crookedly on the rear bumper of your Mustang.

I'm not allowed to vote, and am currently not registered. I still voice my opinions, and participate in anything I think is in my (sometimes our) best interest. I also encourage others to vote, if we agree on issues.

I was raised in a strong Republican household, and was the only kid on my block with Nixon/Agnew stickers on his Schwinn (I still believe Nixon was one of the better Presidents in my lifetime). I was brought up to believe that Republicans were Men, and Democrats were whiny little pussies.

As I got older, I discovered that, at least for me, it wasn't that cut and dry. There are many issues that I believe in that are more supported by one party or the other.
I firmly believe that the Govt. has little or no business in what you and I do privately, and support the Republican attitude of "less Govt control". What I do find odd is that it always seems to be the Democrats that push for rights and "freedoms", yet they are the ones who want to increase spending, and add more and more publicly supported programs that result in increased taxes, and take my guns away. Sounds like more Govt. to me.

The Republicans aren't completely innocent in this area either.
If they want less Govt., then why do they support the death penalty, yet are against personal decisions like abortion rights and drug laws? What happened to making your own decisions? Drug laws are a good tool to use for my example: I firmly believe that each person of adult age should be able to do to themselves whatever they please, in the privacy of their own home, and the laws regarding such things are mixed up with no rhyme or reason. I'm not advising that anyone should smoke pot, for example, but not one single person has ever died from a pot overdose, yet it's illegal. Meanwhile, alcohol kills tens of thousands every year, and is legal. When some one gets stoned, they want to stay at home and veg. When someone gets drunk, they want to go out and do something stupid. Stoners rarely fight. Drunks make up the vast majority of people arrested for fighting. Accidents involving stoners are less than 1 percent of what they are for drunks, yet again, pot is illegal, and alcohol isn't. I have seen the facts and weighed the issues, and there is no logical reason for this paradox. I think that is one of the things that really bothers me about the Republican party; that they tell me they want to be less involved in my life, yet want to regulate everything I do, even in the privacy of my home.

That all being said, I would have moved to Mexico if Gore had been elected. Democrats scare me. It's kinda like letting a 13 year old drive the school bus. Not a good idea for everyone concerned.

Okay, that's it for now.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Marty, I PM'ed you.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:01 AM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Smile

Thanks Josh. Hey, I know a guy who has every kind of Ford V-8 you might ever need -289, 302, 351W, 351 Cleveland, even a 429 with the C-6 to go with it.

Let me know because he says he's going to scrap them. The 429 needs an oil pump, but is fine otherwise. It's a 4v engine. I would like to get the 351W but oh well.

Oh yeah, Democrat's...aawww, never mind.
PKRWUD - I'll e-mail you Sunday. Got a question for ya.

Gotta go to bed , later .

R H C- member # 1
Old 02-10-2002, 02:02 AM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I hope nobody interpreted me as thinking we can sit back and just blame the system.

I vote for whoever I think will do the best job in the office. If that means voting for a democrat (rarely), or a republican, or a third party, so be it.

The main point I was trying to make is about all this bickering back and forth that does nobody good.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:12 AM   #11
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I'm a Republican all the way.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:23 PM   #12
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I register as a democrat, but really, I try to go for the better guy! I did vote for gore, but believe that Bush handled 9-11 better than Gore could ever have.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:10 PM   #13
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am a republican when it comes down to wich one you are it is really easy to decide.

Republicans- Less government, and encourages people to be independent.

Democrats- more and more government, They want people to be dependant upon the government for any and everything wich is responible for the large number of people that abuse the system and choose not to be a productive member of society.

The next big challenge America will face is keeping Hillary Clinton out of the Oval office to pick up were her husband left off. She is worse than a democrat I think she leans more towards being a marksist or a communist than anything else.

I could go on and on on this subject but ill keep it short.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Republican baby! Ol' George does me proud!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:50 PM   #15
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile I love the smell of politics in the morning!

Nice to see so many sensible people - and Republicans - around here. No place like home.

Marty:

America is THE superpower. Russia is on it's arse, China can't feed it's people and has a limited nuclear capability and other countries are dangerous but no superpower. We're it.

We're the world's policeman because we're the target of most of the bad guys - it's in our own best interest to protect ourselves - and we're also the only country that has the military might and the money to kick foreign butt halfway around the world and do it in weeks (i.e. Afghanistan and the Taliban).
Clinton wasted the military on 'peacekeeping' missions that just got American soldiers killed; Bush uses the military where and when it's needed, then we get out and let the locals take over. We keep an eye on them (Afganistan) but we don't occupy the country for long.

For all it's faults, you won't do any better than America, Marty, and you're no traitor. Disappointed maybe, but no traitor. Get that idea out of your mind. We all disagree with our government on various issues, but we have that right (First Amendment). That's what makes our country great - freedom.

Chris:

On the surface, you sound like a Libertarian; they advocate personal responsibility - and personal freedom (they want all drugs legalized) as well as smaller government but I've studied the party philisophy and debated with a few Libertarians on the internet (not on this website) and they generally seem to have a utopian view of society and government that clashes with reality, in my opinion.

I can't support them but you would a good prospect for the Libertarians, especially since the Libertarian Party Presidential candidate (Harry Browne) only received about 400,000 votes (.04%) in the 2000 election. I understand that you can't vote, but they need everyone they can get.

I have to disagree regarding legalizing drugs and the damage that would do to a population already ravaged by the negative effects of alcohol. I don't see drugs as the benign substances you do and the concept of solitary stoners, quietly getting high in the privacy of their own homes with no negative effects on the general population is a bit, well, utopian.

That scenario may be true of the people you know, but a legalization of drugs nationwide would see a lot more stoned drivers (who are just as dangerous as drunks - just not as obvious without a test) and other problems we don't need in this country would also grow.
While some would control drug use others would become addicts with all the attendent grief that causes to family and friends trying to help them while they sink into - and die from - drugs.

With all the harm alcohol use has wrought in this country since it's inception, why would we, as intelligent people, wish to unleash yet another addictive and potentially debiliating drug into the mainstream and make it easy and legal to obtain?
I know many use drugs now - illegally - but drugs - and alcohol - do nothing good for anyone, other than detatch one from reality, and we can hardly deal with the problems alcohol has brought us; from dead men, women and children caused by drunken drivers to babies murdered by drunken boyfriends and husbands to robberies and assaults committed by those who were drunk. I cannnot see why we need more and even stronger and addictive intoxicants on the legal market.

That stated, I note that every poll I've ever seen has shown the majority of adult Americans firmly and decisively against legalization of drugs.
I doubt that will change anytime soon and so I see no chance of drugs becoming legal in our lifetime, making the argument moot. Still, worth commenting on.

I agree with Unit about the partisan political bickering being unproductive. It's mostly posing and/or trying to bash the other party or person but - that's politics.
Usually, a Democrat will have one idea that he proposes (i.e. raising taxes) and the Republican will oppose that idea and the fight begins.
Or - vice-versa.
Just as we see on this very forum, pure logic and a focus on facts soon gives way to name-calling and often the questioning of motives and finally, character, all of which accomplish nothing at all.

I believe President Bush has truly tried to set a new tone in Washington and has been somewhat successful. You never hear him or his senior staff attack another politician's character over a disagreement. At least not in public.

Bush has been successful partly because he tries to compromise with the Democrats but never loses his conservative focus. He is trying to do the best for the country (knowing that he won't please everyone) and his high (85%) approval ratings - even five months past the attack on America on September 11th) - show that the President is seen as honest, capable and on the right track. Meanwhile, the Democrats, seeking some issue to exploit in the fall elections, are obstructing the President's proposals in Congress and climbing all over the Enron mess to find something they can blame Bush for. Won't happen.

Sure, Enron gave money to the Bush campaign, but they gave money to practically every politician in the country at one time or another and the Bush Administration did nothing for Enron. No scandal. No 'issue' for the Democrats to yell about.
Enron was a business scandal, not a political one. Guilt by association doesn't work. Just because Enron sent Bush some campaign funds along the way doesn't mean that it was a quid pro quo. It wasn't and thats obvious.

So, yes, I'm a Republican but I do vote for the man and the issues. I don't support the Bush Mexican immigration policy (now dormant after 9/11) or the 'faith-based' initative (nice idea - not workable) and his tax cuts were good, but too small to help the economy .
Still, I cashed my tax rebate check just like everyone else.
The Bush/Kennedy education bill was like adding more deck chairs while the Titanic sinks. Looks nice - accomplishes little.

Well, I said I don't agree with everything the President does.

I predict big Republican gains in the House and Senate this November. Bush is on a roll and the Democrats can only complain about it but are fresh out of ideas and have weak, unpopular leadership. More government intervention doesn't play well right now. 'PC' has taken a big hit, too, thank goodness.

We're a far cry from the constitutional republic we stated out with in 1776, but with George Bush as President, at least we've restored some sanity to the White House and our foreign and domestic policies.

I'm proud to be a Republican and proud of my country and our President.

Flags wave in the breeze as Mr. 5.0 steps down from the podium as the crowd rises to it's feet and erupts in frenzied, sustained applause. Then he wakes up.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #16
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I agree with everything MR. 5.0 said.

There will always be arguing between politicians, that's how it works. Our country's politics are based on compromise basically which is why the third parties don't get elected - but still are important.
Also, the candidates who are extreme won't get elected either because they must show that they are moderate yet still retain conservative or liberal qualities.

Bush seems to be a very good President so far, despite all the early ridicule because he wasn't the best at speeches in public.

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Republican here.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 08:03 PM   #18
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Angry

O.K. Mr. 5.0, I guess you got me.

Only about 4 people on this site know this, but here it is:

I have Gulf War Syndrome.
All I get from VA is a bill for $50.00 every time I go there.
They don't want to talk to me about anything, except i smoke. No not that stuff , but,they dont want to talk or help me with anything else. Yes, I'm p.o.'ed at that - especially when I hear; "Oh, let's take care of our vet's, Oh let's remember our vet's!

I have been to 6 funeral's - so far - of my brother's-in-arms in Iraq. YES - I'm a disappointed American.

Sorry for the vent.

I signed the paper's but should I have to pay money 11 year's later? At least the Republicans know we need a stong military, I agree.
Sorry, I served my country but feel now as though I was a freaking lab rat. Geez!

I apologize, but I just don't feel like a big flag waver anymore.

Mr. 5.0 I'm not flaming you - don't take it that way - but the way I feel is...you remember CCR, the song, Fortunate Son? That's me.

R H C- member # 1

Last edited by Crazy Horse GT; 02-10-2002 at 08:53 PM..
Old 02-11-2002, 12:33 AM   #19
SilverPoet
Registered Member

I would say independent but that always gets a bad rap. Frankly I think that the system we have now doesn't represent the people the way it should. I vote for who I like. It doesn't matter if they are democrat, republican or otherwise.

Don't take it the wrong way, but I didn't particularly like any of our choices for President. ::shrug:: But I thought that whole election was a sham, and I'd personally like to see something done about things rather than shoving it under a rug in light of current events going on now. The whole thing was too fishy for me, and I think the electoral college is BS being that we have the technology we do now. If it's going to be the majority, then it should be the REAL majority, IMNSHO.

On a different note I was impressed with how Bush handled things after Sept. 11. Mostly the events immediately after. Proved to me that he can handle things even if I don't personally like him.

Well what can we say...at least our country will have a history book that has a Clinton between two Bush's. Fitting no?
SilverPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 01:07 AM   #20
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

SilverPoet,
I'm no governmental genius, but there is a HUGE reason that we have an electoral college.... it keeps states like New York and California from running the entire decision making process for our country. Why would a Presidential candidate give a crap about any issue in Kansas as long as he had good ties with New York? our founding fathers understood this dilemma and is a reason why the Senate is comprised of equal representation by state and the House is represented by population. Not a perfect solution, but it works...

Also, you'll only see this dilemma in EXTREMELY close elections, I think this was like maybe the second time that the popular vote was different than the electoral college.

Also, if I remember correctly, The numbers came out to like 50.1% for Gore, 49.9% for Bush. (Sounding like a democrat here Considering that the number of lost votes, miscounted votes, and just plain freaked out votes could have easily made up the count in the popular vote total.... I don't think ANYONE will really ever know the true count. It was just too close considering a country of around 285 million folks....

Just one other thing, I remember seeing a map of the US divided on how the states voted.... It looked like a sea of states for Bush and a few populous states for Gore.... sort of makes me thankful for that TERRIBLE electoral college...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: