View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002, 01:07 AM   #20
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

SilverPoet,
I'm no governmental genius, but there is a HUGE reason that we have an electoral college.... it keeps states like New York and California from running the entire decision making process for our country. Why would a Presidential candidate give a crap about any issue in Kansas as long as he had good ties with New York? our founding fathers understood this dilemma and is a reason why the Senate is comprised of equal representation by state and the House is represented by population. Not a perfect solution, but it works...

Also, you'll only see this dilemma in EXTREMELY close elections, I think this was like maybe the second time that the popular vote was different than the electoral college.

Also, if I remember correctly, The numbers came out to like 50.1% for Gore, 49.9% for Bush. (Sounding like a democrat here Considering that the number of lost votes, miscounted votes, and just plain freaked out votes could have easily made up the count in the popular vote total.... I don't think ANYONE will really ever know the true count. It was just too close considering a country of around 285 million folks....

Just one other thing, I remember seeing a map of the US divided on how the states voted.... It looked like a sea of states for Bush and a few populous states for Gore.... sort of makes me thankful for that TERRIBLE electoral college...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote