MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default 2 day project ='s a year

We started a thread like this over at another board. WHo else's day or two day small projects turn into something much longer. We came to the conclusion that everything takes at least three times as long and costs twice as much when you finally get finished. Does this stuff happen to you guys to???

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Hell yes it does!!! Between the little parts that you run to the store to get, the parts that you discover need replacing half way through the project, and all the other miscellaneous murphy's law things that happen, it takes longer and costs more for me every time.

For example, this weekend I plan on replacing the top end of my motor. Heads, intake, injectors, TB/EGR, cam, FPR, etc. I figure it will take me the entire weekend (including Monday because I have that day off) if I take my time and make sure it's done correctly.

Therefore it will probably ACTUALLY be finished in about two weeks. After I get it running, then work all the kinks and tuning issues. You'll probably be seeing a thread in the Windsor Forum about something or another.

Dave
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 05:40 AM   #3
PKRWUD

That's one of the things that sucks about what I do for a living. I know perfectly well that a customers total anticipated expenses for installing that engine they bought are going to be $500 short, plus my labor, yet when I bid the job, I'm "way too expensive". Until they have actually spent more than I bid, and it's still not running. Then they want me to come and fix what ever they screwed up for next to nothing because "they did the hard part". Yeah right. I won't even discuss an engine swap for less than $1000, plus $500 cushion money for the parts they "didn't think about". That's for a friend. It's also non-negotiable. Once I start a job, time is money, and I'm not going to get hung out because of someone elses poor planning. I always refund the change from the cushion money, but it's rarely more than $100. What I really love, and don't get often enough, is a customer who knows what's up because they've been there, and who just turns it over to me. I had a customer a few years ago that was a Radiologist. He was rich enough that he could use $100 bills as toilet paper, if he wanted to. Anyway, he became a doctor in 1974, and with his first sizable paycheck, he went out and bought a brand new Datsun 260Z. he had been living like a beggar for 8 years or more while going through medical school, and to suddenly be able to go buy such an extravagant item made him feel great. His wife wasn't impressed. None the less, year after year, he refused to get rid of it. He had only put 10,000 miles on it by the time it was officially retired 15 years later. She hated it, but he had to keep it, so they compromised and parked it at the top of their long, windy driveway on their hilltop estate. It pretty much became a planter. Anyway, the doc and I knew each other because I was working in x-ray at the time, and he had seen the work I did on my nitrous injected 403. He even commented that it was the first engine he had ever seen that was clean enough to eat off of, and coming from him, that was a big compliment! he told me about his Datsun, and that he had decided that while his wife was away visiting relatives for a few weeks, he wanted to get it back on the road again. Actually, he wanted it to be better than new, and wanted it detailed like my Buick was (at the time). I told him that he would be looking at thousands of dollars, and that it would be much cheaper to buy one already fixed up, but he said that wouldn't do, because that wouldn't be the first car he ever bought. He cut me a check for $5k the first day, and said to just let him know when ever I needed more. He ended up spending $14k on that car, mechanically. I didn't do the paint, he paid someone else for that. I made a fair bit of change, but more importantly, he got what he wanted. When I drove it to the hospital to return to him, he was standing in the parking lot waiting. he was near tears by the time we were finished, and he couldn't stop thanking me.

That was a great job. I made good money, and was able to do the work that I knew needed to be done, without worrying about explaining to the customer how side draft carbs that are rebuilt are not smog legal in California, and that only new carbs will get him his tags (actually I rebuilt his and got it smogged, saving him $2k just on carbs, but you get the idea).

I'm good at estimating costs and time when it comes to other people, but I still screw myself all the time. That 400 in my garage was originally going to be finished last summer!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 06:44 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I've got a friend with a 86 Z-28. We pulled the 305 and replaced it with a 350. The swap was suppost to take about a week or two. So far it's be 6 months and he's still not don.e

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:13 AM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

You know, it's funny...I can swap a motor in two days, drop, work on, and reinstall a tranny in about 5 hours, and my first intake swap just took an afternoon. But it's always the little things that should only take about 5 minutes that always end up taking hours.

Case in point:

Back when I dropped in my new motor, I reused the factory headers as I didn't yet have the funds to purchase some shorties. Anyway, I realized that one of the header to H-pipe flange bolts was slightly bent. No big deal, I'd had the H-pipe off before and it bolted back up fine.

Wrong.

I got the motor in (after fighting to get the tranny lined up) and we started hooking everything back up. By this point, my tranny had leaked a decent little amount of tranny fluid on the floor under the car, and we had spread that kitty litter crap around to soak it up. I get under the car and start to bolt up the H-pipe. I continued to try and bolt up the H-pipe; I continued to try to bolt up the H-pipe, and I continue to try to bolt up the H-pipe. I got the driver's side just fine, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the passenger side flanges to line up in the tight space. I used pry bars, hammers, giant screw drivers, everything. After about two hours of grunting and rolling around in tranny fluid and kitty litter, I said screw it, it'll have to get done later.

I proceded to button up the rest of the motor and was getting ready to fire it up when my friend said, "why don't you give that H-pipe one last try before you turn it over." I'm like, I spent two ******* hours on my back trying that crap...it's 12:00 am...oh what the heck, one last try.

I got under the car, took a long screw driver, positioned the flange on the flange bolts and tap....clink....holy crap....it's on. I tried for hours...and all it took was one freaking tap to get the thing on. I proceded to impact that SOB together before I gave it a royal cussing.

It's always the little things...fittings...flanges...starter motors...

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote