MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2002, 05:19 AM   #21
PKRWUD

Jim-
I'm in agreement with most of what you said. I haven't smoked pot in many years, and I don't really drink anymore, either (maybe 6 beers in the past 12 months). I still get angry with the way the govt. is handling the "war on drugs". Criminalization is not the answer, and that's been proven. As far as seeing polls, keep in mind that several states have put it up for a vote, and the voters said to legalize it. Polls are opinions, votes become laws. Unfortunately, we are no longer free enough to make our own decisions. Even if a state votes for legalization, the federal government slaps the state in the face and firmly tells them to go stand in the corner for suggesting such a thing. What's the point of having state elections if the federal government is going to overrule what the people voted for? The only reason alcohol is still legal and pot isn't is money, IMHO.

Please remember that I am not advocating the use of drugs. What I am is sick of pouring billions of our tax dollars into a war we are losing, and can not win. If it were legalized, we (the govt.) could tax and regulate it. Pot would bring money in, rather than come out of all of our paychecks for the "war". There are other alternatives. I actually support what has worked in other countries, which is decriminalization. It's not quite legalization, but it's close. It's basically saying that if you can get stoned, and still be a responsible person, go for it. But, if you screw up, we'll arrest you. What in the world is wrong with that?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:51 AM   #22
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

"All research and succesfull drug policy shows that treatment should be increased and law enforcement decreased while abolishing mandatory minumum sentences" System of a Down.

I just thought i would put that in there. I cant remember what song that is though and i cant go check since im at school. doh!

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:01 AM   #23
Meandog-racing
Registered Member

Republican. why? 'Cause I'm an active duty Marine. 'Nuff said!
Meandog-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #24
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Politics, continued

crazy horse gt:

Marty, you have a perfect right to both disagree with me - or anyone else here - and to express your opinion. No need to apologize for anything you've posted.

I sympathize with your medical problems resulting from your military service and I agree that you - and the other Gulf War vets - have been treated poorly. I understand your frustration with the government and especially the VA.
I suggest that you give the Bush Administration a chance to do the right thing for vets. We're coming off of eight years of a military-hating administration that cut defense budgets to the bone and it takes time to increase those budgets - as Bush is doing - and for the money to actually get to the the military, including the vets. Hopefully, this will happen soon and things will improve at the VA hospitals and for Gulf War vets like yourself, suffering with Gulf War Syndrome.

Marty, I know you realize that we live in the best country in the world in terms of freedom and opportunity.
Americas faults - and we have plenty - don't come close to equating to it's positive aspects.
You may not desire to 'wave the flag anymore' - and I can understand that based on your VA experiences - but I still wave that flag for the concept of liberty and the freedom it represents, not for the federal bureaucracy , a political party or a politician.

Chris:

I agree that the War on Drugs is an abject failure and many lives have been ruined due to this misguided attempt to stop drug use, especially among the younger members of our society. The War on Drugs has to end, soon.

Decriminalization is one way to go but the nagging problem is that as drugs (unlike alcohol) can be so addictive, so quickly that just allowing pot to be legal but keeping the hard stuff illegal may not work for some people. Like making beer and wine legal but keeping spirits illegal.
Worth considering though.

As for the states not being allowed to decriminalize some drugs; as I understand it, that stems in part from the DEA and FDA and federal laws that supercede state regulations regarding controlled substances.

I think there is real ambivalence in America when it comes to drug laws. We want our freedom to ingest what we decide pleases us and going to prison for smoking a joint is clearly unfair and wrong. However, when it comes to opening the Pandora's Box of legalizing drugs in any meaningful way, a lot of us pull back, as we've seen the total devastation drug use has caused...sometimes in our own families. No, not mine, thank God, but I've seen some good, smart, decent people turn into bums in a few years directly due to drug use. I know a young lady who has stolen from her (poor) family...everything they had to live on that week, gone...so she could buy crack. She leaves a ten-year-old child alone for days, rescued only but a disabled but caring grandmother.

I could go on but you know these stories as well as I do - we've all heard them, seen them on TV. It's tragic.

This is why, when some folks say "I have a right to get high" some of us say, "Go ahead, knock yourself out" but then, we see that the stereotypical middle-class person smoking a joint after dinner in his or her own home, bothering no one, minding their own business, is mostly a myth. Drug use usually has negative consequences at some point, for some people.

So, politicians avoid the subject, not wanting to appear 'pro-drugs' and a lot of people who don't do drugs are not very interested in addressing drug laws that don't affect them directly.

The fact is that we all know that drug use can be dangerous and while I support the right of people to ingest whatever garbage they choose (I drink a lot of coffee) I'm also at a loss as to how we handle legalizing drugs - but only some drugs? How do we deal with addicts? Etc, etc. Tough questions.

I believe that all the talk about 'treatment' belies the fact that drugs are addictive and make problems for users. If they didn't, why would we need all these 'treatment' centers?

It also seems reasonable to suggest that with all the problems alcohol causes (death, injuries, robberies, etc) why do we need more 'legal' intoxicants around to spur some people to commit criminal, maybe deadly acts that they probably wouldn't commit were they not high on drugs at the time. Granted, people will get the drugs illegally, but why hand it to them? Seems illogical to me.

I have serious reservations about the ability of the government - who can't even give us a correct answer to a tax problem when we call the IRS for help - to keep any real controls on harder drugs once that old favorite, marijuana, is made totally legal and readily available at the local government (taxpayer-subsidized, no doubt) 'drug' store. Miracles can happen but I don't see this working out for the best.

I also believe that the citizen or politician that does come up with a workable answer to the 'drug problem' in America and can find a generally constitutional and reasonable way to decriminalize but still control drug use to reasonable levels will be a national hero.

Good luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:08 AM   #25
SilverPoet
Registered Member

Hammer: I guess I'm baised, I live in a VERY democatic state. Say I liked Bush (I didn't but for the sake of arguement lol) even if I vote for him, MY vote doesn't get heard. I think that sucks. I think the majority should be the true majority, point blank period. People shouldn't have to pay for living in a populous, one party minded state any more than those who live in a state with more people. It isn't really a STATE that has the say in an election, I was under the impression it was the people. Voting is supposed to have a persons opinion heard...even if only in a little way.

As for that crap of an election we will never know who was the true winner and I don't care any more. lol. I think that the democrats drug it out, I think the republicans worked some magic. It's water under the bridge. I'm more concerned with what Bush is doing now, and it isn't horrible..yet. lol

Last edited by SilverPoet; 02-12-2002 at 12:15 AM..
SilverPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:44 AM   #26
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Mr 5.0 - i sincerely apoligize, I was just in a stressed out mood last night.

I do agree America is the best, but we let so many bleeding heart's get their way. Example: Pro-lifer's will kill people at abortion clinic's. That doesn't make sense, not that I'm pro-abortion, but I'm a man so I have no say so in the matter.

Sorry big guy - don't ban me

BTW: I never wanted to post that I have gulf war syn but I guess it's too late now. It suck's but I fight it every day.

chris just admit it you wanna burn a fatty ,hehe

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03

Last edited by Crazy Horse GT; 02-12-2002 at 03:03 AM..
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:49 AM   #27
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Talking

Chris: Just admit it - you wanna burn a fatty. hehe

LOL
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:51 AM   #28
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hehe...
Yea Silver, I guess I'm a bit biased also. Between the Carter years (ugh...shiver...) and let's-close-every-miltary-base-we-can Clinton, the democratic party has left a distinct smell of rancid leadership in my nostrils.... good economy or not.

I'd be well on my way to military retirement by now if democrat sponsored "Force Reductions" hadn't hit. I'd spent every waking moment of 4 years of my life training and protecting my country in a job I actually loved. Making things work in the cockpit of a Tomcat was a natural extension of being a gearhead as a kid.
Heck, I learned everything from advanced electronic theory to radar guidance and high frequency encoded communication for years just for the chance to jump in that beast and make her perform for those lucky college boys. It was of course MY aircraft, they just flew her for a few hours each day during Desert Storm....

Then one day after over 4 years of study and work, as I was poised to re-enlist, I came to find out that "force reduction" had made my rate\job description over 150% manned. My Master Chief told me I could re-enlist as ANYTHING else except the rate I was already in.... What a waste. I was extremely disollusioned and opted to get out. What was the point?

While I have a great life now flying Cessnas for fun and driving Yellow Jacket in my off time, I can't help but miss standing on the cat-walk watching a Tomcat go to burner on the cat. I can still feel the rumble go through me as the flames reached the Jet Blast Deflector..... What a rush....

I guess my whole point is that while ol' Dubya may not be too quick on the draw, he seems to have a good heart, no hidden agenda, a GREAT cabinet of highly competant individuals, and most importantly knows the difference between right and wrong. He may not be the best President, but in my opinion he's a much better "man" for the job than ol' slick Willy or Gore could ever be...

Just my opinion...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:58 AM   #29
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Right on, Hammer! The F-14 rules, in my book.
As I said before; I had 12 years in, but got out due to Clintonism. Thank God BORE didn't win. We hate him here in TN.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Old 02-12-2002, 03:14 AM   #30
SilverPoet
Registered Member

I gotcha Hammer. Like I said, I don't agree with lots of stuff in gov't. And I don't have all the answers. And I totally see your side of the opinion and completely agree about the military standpoint.

I love aviation in general, my dad and grandfather were in the Navy, my uncle in the AF, my stepuncle had a purple heart from Korea. I also had a cousin in 'Storm. So there isn't a lack of patriotism here, that's for sure.

Hey, and if ANYONE in this world thinks that the SR (a plane we've had since Vietnam) is the most advanced plane we got...hum...they fail the intellegence test.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 AM   #31
Mr 5 0

Exclamation Politics. Part III

crazy horse:

Please stop apologizing, guy.

I'm actually flattered that you feel comfortable enough with those on this forum to post your real thoughts and convictions as well as your complaints. It's cool.

Let me respond your comment regarding pro-lifers who kill pro-choicers at abortion clinics. Obviously, that's totally indefensible regardless of motivation and those who commit such premeditated murders should be punished with life or possibly the death penalty - I don't care which.

That having been said - over one million babies are aborted - killed in the womb - every year in this country and if you accept the premise that the 'fetus' is a live person in the womb, then the knowledge that over a million of these helpless little human beings-in-the-making, with heartbeats and brainwaves and movement at only a few weeks old - then what is done at abortion clinics is outright legalized murder, often for profit and this, for obvious reasons, drives some people over the edge.

Abortion is a deeply divisive subject fraught with all kinds of moral and social implications and I would rather not try to debate it here as most people already have a position (pro or con) and won't change it no matter what argument is raised.
I simply wished to mention that your example of pro-life people killing pro-choice people was apt in a sense; if abortion is murder - how can you justify murdering an adult ? Illogical, as Mister Spock might say.

Of course, pro-abortion people often vigorously oppose the death penalty which is also a bit odd. A baby in the womb - as innocent as a human being will ever be - is O.K. to murder ('abort') but it's cruel and barbaric to execute some 35-year-old mass murderer who probably raped or tortured his victims? Makes no sense, I agree.
I also agree that PC and the liberal leftists have taken over a large part of our American culture, to our great loss. College classrooms have often become indoctrination centers for leftist political revisionism, turning out young minds full of mush for the most part, devoid of any real historical perspective and believing that America is somehow racist, evil and the cause of most of the worlds problems. Tragic.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts Marty and keep 'em coming. You're among friends here.

SilverPoet:

Thanks for your input on the thread...also appreciated.

A comment regarding the Electoral College system, established by the founding fathers and altered somewhat by the 12th Amendment.
I see it this way; if we had the direct popular vote you wish for our elections they would resemble the way they are in Europe; specifically Italy, France and Germany - just to name the worst examples.

What happens is this: You have dozens of different special interests competing for the vote - enviromentalists, anti-abortion and pro-abortion groups, racial minorities, women's groups, big business, farmers, etc. It's an endless list. These groups then form individual political parties and run candidates for President, much as the fringe parties do now (with no success). The difference is - that in order for a responsible candidate to have a chance to win in this system, he has to accomodate a majority of these groups to win a plurality of the votes cast, as is done in Europe. He/she is forced to form a coalition government with all the minor parties having a seat in his administration and competing for attention. It doesn't work well at all. In fact, it stinks.

The founding fathers knew what they were doing when they modified the original Electoral College concept following the election of 1800.

If we really wanted direct representation, why not abolish the House and Senate? Why should Alaska have two Senators, same as California, with a fraction of the population? Why? Balance and stability.

The Electoral College assures a stable federal government, not a mish-mash of competing parties all attempting to change whatever they don't like and causing endless elections due to the fact that no candidate can ever draw together enough votes to sustain a majority and coalition governments can't govern when there are 50 different competing voices attempting to get their 'issue' attended to - all at the same time.

Our system of government and elections (a representative democracy) has worked very well for over two-hundred years and the fact that we have one of the most stable governments on the planet for this long - with a diverse population and free elections - is a positive testament to the effectivness of the EC.

I look at the 2000 Presidential election as an anomaly in our long history of elections and one that only came about due to the very small percentage of votes split between the candidates.
It probably won't happen again for a very long time - if ever.
I believe Bush actually won and I wish the entire state of Florida could have been recounted to 'prove' it but I fear that no amount of recounts would have satisifed everyone.
The only 'magic' the Republicans 'worked' was that the matter of recounts went to the Supreme Court - with more liberals than conservatives on it - and they ruled that if the recounts were not complete (Gore's people wanted to count some counties and not others) then the vote counting was over and what was already counted and recounted - in selected counties - stood as the final vote. In that counting, Bush won by a tiny margin.
Later, a syndicate of liberal newspapers (including USA TODAY) got together and basically paid to have all the votes recounted...and Bush still won. This was without even counting the military ballots thrown out, probably illegally. Of course, this was buried on page 106 of most papers, because they had hoped the paid-for recount would show Gore won and they could trumpet that Bush was an 'illegimate' President. He isn't. He won fairly. Close, but a fair win.

I'm more than glad to have George W. Bush as our President, as is most of the nation (his approval rating is in the mid 80's - unbelieveably high). He's a whole lot smarter than the liberal media and his political enemies want you to believe he is and he proves it every week, although liberals will never admit it.

President Bush's actions since September 11th have demonstrated extraordinary leadership. You may not like all of his political positions or even be a Republican but anyone who judges fairly can see that the man is honest, caring and sincere with a top-notch team behind him and is doing the best he can - on many fronts - for America, not just the Republican party.

Reports of his ignorance were, indeed, greatly exaggerated.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:22 PM   #32
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Some very enlightening and refreshing discussions occuring in this thread. I've enjoyed reading it.

As for me...I am also a conservative Republican. I've got beliefs on which I build the foundation of my life and I will stand strong to uphold those beliefs. That would be what classifies me as conservative (as opposed to liberals with the "sure...that sounds like it'll be neat...what the heck" philosopy ).

I've had the great privalege to meet George W. Bush on two occassions when he was governor of Texas, and I was very impressed by his down-to-earth attitude...refreshing in politicians. I followed his career in my own state and was truly impressed by the job he did. He worked closely with both Republicans and Democrats to conduct the business of the state for the good of the state.

I've known Pete Laney (TX Speaker of the House) all my life, and I know personally that Pete, who is a Democrat, and Bush had a very successful political relationship which allowed a great deal of work to be done in a bi-partisan manner. In fact, they grew to be very close friends, and Pete still visits Bush in D.C. on occassion.

All that being said, I will likely NOT vote for Governor Rick Perry in the next election, Republican or not. From information I've received, and things I have observed, we could do a lot better for Governor in Texas. I was also disturbed by the OBVIOUS gerrymandering which Texas Republicans engaged in in the recent re-districting. I've got some real soul-serching and researching to do before the next day at the polls.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #33
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Geez Mr. 5.0, you sure know a lot about government.
Everytime I try to respond and say something that I've leanred in my government class I can't put the words to it but when I read your posts I know about everything you're talking about. Excellent job.

Woohoo! I started a long thread - that got rated!

Later,

Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #34
SilverPoet
Registered Member

Mr. 50: Hey, I never said I had ALL the answers. I do agree that just going to a direct vote is not the answer, but, I do want my say. I'm American that way. *winks*

The whole Senate and House thing is pretty simple. Give each state an equal say because they're a state, give each state an equal say based on population. For me, that doesn't factor into the Presidential position or vote or reason he gets elected. JMO.

btw: nice to meet cha.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #35
Mr 5 0

Smile Politics, Part IV

Originally posted by SilverPoet

Mr. 50: Hey, I never said I had ALL the answers.

Neither did I, just observations.

The whole Senate and House thing is pretty simple. Give each state an equal say because they're a state, give each state an equal say based on population.

That's pretty much how the Electoral College works now.
Each State is allocated a number of Electors equal to the number of its U.S. Senators (always 2) plus the number of its U.S. Representatives (which may change each decade according to the size of each State's population as determined in the Census).
The political parties (or independent candidates) in each State submit to the State's chief election official a list of individuals pledged to their candidate for president and equal in number to the State's electoral vote.

Whichever party slate wins the most popular votes in the State becomes that State's Electors-so that, in effect, whichever presidential ticket gets the most popular votes in a State wins all the Electors of that State.

On the Monday following the second Wednesday of December (as established in federal law) each State's Electors meet in their respective State capitals and cast their electoral votes-one for president and one for vice president.

Not a bad system as it avoids the problem of having fifty different candidates and no one candidate ever getting a majority.

Yes, it's a 'winner-take-all' system but that only becomes a point of contention in very close elections and that only happens about twice per century, if that.

You still have the option of writing in the name of someone - including yourself - on the Presidential ballot and we have 'fringe' parties that run presidential candidates every election so on one is really denied a voice.

Obviously, the U.S. runs on a two-party system - which is how the Founders planned it. You always have the best shot at being heard by joining a party, becoming active and working within that party to advance your political goals and promote the candidate of your choice.

nice to meet cha.

Nice to meet you, too.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:00 AM   #36
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Mr. 5.0:

I agree the poor child isn't given a choice, it's not their fault - they didn't ask to be here, that is the adult's choice.

It is sad, murdered before they ever had a chance.
I just don't see killing someone who works there as a just cause, but you're right, taking a baby's life is not right.

I guess i just don't understand today's society & the way of thinking that has overcome our country.
I guess I'm of the old day's way of thinking; I was taught to say 'yes sir' & 'yes ma'am' to people older than me.
I just think everything is going crazy right now, there is no respect for anything right anymore.

I guess that's my point; Yes, I am a conservitive Republican.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #37
Mr 5 0

Smile Thanks - and welcome

Originally posted by crazy horse gt

I guess that's my point; Yes, I am a conservative Republican.

Marty:

Welcome to the 'club' and thanks for your input, guy; I appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:16 PM   #38
PKRWUD

Jim-

I am so proud of these members for allowing such a potentially flame-ridden thread to actually be so civil! It's amazing what a difference a few years makes!

To briefly touch on the abortion debate, a friend of mine and I had a knock-down, drag-out 10 minute arguement about it the other day, and I was right; abortion is spelled with t-i-o-n.

I don't agree with the killing of babies, and I think that a woman who repeatedly uses abortion as a form of birth control should have her tubes cut. That being said, I don't think abortion should be illegal. It's a heavy topic, and I really don't want to get deeply into it, because I don't feel like either answer is right. I will say that I would be much quicker to agree with your argument if the world population wasn't exploding the way it is. Still though, that's no justification, on it's own.

As far as the drug issue, yes, it is quite complicated. There have been several who have come up with workable methods of legalization, but ever since Reefer Madness, the propaganda against "illegal" drugs has left unshakable visions in most peoples minds. I know that both extremes exist when it comes to users. I think you would be really surprised how many "users" never reach either one. I know several people who choose to get high occasionally, and lead perfect, "normal" lives. People who are well respected, and who hold high level, responsible jobs. It's been my experience that the percentage of people who I've met that drink, and have become alcoholics, is about the same as the percentage of those I've met that get high, and have become drug addicts. Maybe a little higher for alcoholics. Regardless, the laws need to change. While Jane Doe is filling her prescription for one of thousands of legal, mind altering, addictive drugs, her son gets arrested for buying a dime bag of pot. While she will go through withdrawls when she finally has to "kick" her habit, her son won't.

As I'm sure I've mentioned to you in the past, Jim, I have a personal reason why this is so disturbing to me. I can't vote because I am a convicted felon. My felony wasn't bank robbery, or rape, or murder. My felony conviction was for cultivation. I had 3 pot plants growing inside my condo. I wasn't a "dealer", and had never been accused of selling pot. I wasn't a trafficer, and had never been accused of transporting pot across state lines. In fact, I had never been accused of doing anything more than growing 3 plants inside my condo, for my personal use. Because someone else that I didn't really know knew I had 3 plants, he lied to officers when he was busted for something totally unrelated, and told them I was a "major operation" in order to get his own sentence reduced. Local law enforcement had me under surveillance for several weeks. They even spent the money to hire a thermal sensing helicopter to do night time fly-overs over my condo, reading the temp of the air leaving my attic vents, and comparing it to my neighbors. They served a search warrant at the local power company so that they could access my utillity bills, and my neighbors, for the past year. The utillity bills and the word of their informant was all they had to go on. All of their other attempts at gaining incriminating evidence failed. Still, it was enough. So, nearly ten years ago, 14 officers, wearing bullet-proof vests, and armed with fully automatic assault rifles, kicked in my front door, and spent 4 hours turning my place inside out. They were extremely disappointed to only find 3 plants, but wrote in their reports that I probably had gotten word of their raid, and had cleared out the rest. My attorney noted that their own surveillance didn't report any unusual activities, such as that, but it didn't matter. The bottom line was that they had spent a small fortune trying bust me, and I turned out to be nothing. They did what they could, to "make an example" of me, and I ended up serving a year in jail, and 5 years of formal, felony probation. Although that is behind me now, I am still a convicted felon. That means I still can not legally own or posses a firearm, and I can't vote. All because I had 3 pot plants in my home. I have been "clean" since then, and currently have no desire at all to get high, but I firmly believe the laws that got me here are wrong. Very wrong. My "crime" was a truly victimless crime, yet my punishment was harsher than punishments I've seen given to those who's crimes had victims. A few years after my conviction, California voters passed a proposition that made possession with a doctors prescription legal. The federal govt. has overrulled that law, but nonetheless, sentences for "crimes" such as mine have been reduced to little more than a ticket.

So yes, I do have a personal interest in the concept of decriminalizing drugs, and have done alot of research on the subject. I just find it amazing that some of the same people who feel that pot is so dangerous are crusing along just fine, as long as their Prozac prescription is filled. I wish there was a way to reach more people with the truth rather than the hype.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:28 AM   #39
Mr 5 0

Smile And the beat goes on

Chris:

Interesting points and your personal experience obviously will have a bearing on your POV regarding drug laws, as it would mine had I suffered the same consequences for cultivating three plants.

Chris, I readily conceded the obvious; The so-called 'War on Drugs' isn't working and that drug laws are often misused while prescription drugs are a big problem with the general population.

I cannot as readily concede that legalizing drugs is a solution, although decriminalizing some drugs might be feasible.
It's a tough problem because no good comes from ingesting mind-altering substances, be it beer, whiskey, pot, crack or glue fumes. These are potentially dangerous substances and must be handled with some caution, as witnessed by the drunk drivers who kill others every year or the crimes that crack addicts commit to get the cash for the drug they must have.

There are some things everyone believes about themselves; that they have a good sense of humor, that they are better-than-average drivers and that they can easily handle their drug of choice.

The fact that none of these are true makes my point.
For society to open the floodgates of drug use by making them legal and obtainable with no social stigmna attached is inviting bad consequences that won't be realized until it's way too late to change things.

I can go along with the lessening of criminal charges against marijuana, as has been done in various jurisdictions and I know that your state, California, has made medical use of the drug legal, but that action was overthrown by the feds and is now in hot dispute.
I cannot understand why the active ingredient the plant contains cannot be distilled into a pill, instead of setting a leaf on fire and inhaling the smoke, which seems like the hard way to obtain whatever medical benefit cannabis supplies but as I'm not a doctor, I'll let that one slide and agree that if smoking marijuana is shown to have medical benefits - as it has - than it should be legalized for that purpose.

I'm not against people using drugs in a sane, responsible manner, as millions do with alcohol, but while you mention the many people who safely enjoy recreational drug us and lead normal, productive lives (and I accept that as true) I must again mention that drugs such as marijuana can be gateway drugs for some; especially the young and those with addictive personalities and the use of these drugs can wreck havoc on families as well as take the lives of people who might not ever had tried them had they not be legal and readily available. Alcohol users generally take a few years to become truly addictive but drugs like cocaine or heroin can produce an addict in no time at all and getting off hard drugs is a lot harder than getting addicted, as we all know. These and other social ramifications make me very wary of shrugging my shoulders and saying 'Whatever' when it comes to legalizing drugs.
I've seen the damage they do to otherwise decent and productive people and they are not something to play with and treat lightly, as too many do and a lot more would if they were legal, readily available and with no social stigma.

As for the 'Reefer Madness' mentality, that's an old canard thrown out by NORML and other drug legalization groups and I'm surprised you brought it into the discussion. I doubt some 65-year-old campy anti-marijuana movie short is what's motivativng anti-drug sentiment these days, Chris.
Instead, I believe it's the trail of wrecked lives and crime drug use has left behind and the parents of children who don't wish to see their loved ones dead at 20 or turned into a human wreck or end up in prison due to drugs.
I can understand that. I'm sure you can too and while I know you had a life-changing experience due to minor drug use - and you were legally abused, no doubt - I still find that any sort of real across-the-board legaization of drugs to be a bad idea.

On abortion; I cannot and will not concede that legalized killing of living babies in the mother's womb is O.K. It isn't and no Supreme Court, politician or doctor will convince me otherwise. It's murder and all the comfortable rationalizations and justifications advocates put forth don't change that reality for me.

What I would like to see is Roe v Wade overthrown and the issue put before each state's voters to decide. Some states will vote for abortion to be legal and some won't but that will be the will of the people, not the will of nine men. This is how it was until 1973. Abortion law - pro or con - was decided by the individual states (10th amendment in action), enacted by legistators who were elected by the citizens of that state. Representative democracy in action, all nullified by one probably unconstitutional Supreme Court decision.

Don't get me started on that!

I agree that the thread has maintained a rather calm dignity while dealing with weighty issues like abortion and drug legalization. I'm pleased with that and yes, I think it does shows maturity on the part of our members who participated.

These issues can be 'safely' discussed if folks are rational, don't resort to character attacks and/or using slogans instead of engaging in actual thought before posting, as all have who've added to the thread.

I'm hoping that the discussion was enlightening for some of the folks who viewed but didn't choose to add to the thread and although I believe we've exhausted most of our personal arguments on the subjects at hand, I'm always willing to consider opinions and talk about them as time permits.

Thanks again for your meaningful contributions to these important subjects.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:12 PM   #40
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
College classrooms have often become indoctrination centers for leftist political revisionism, turning out young minds full of mush for the most part, devoid of any real historical perspective and believing that America is somehow racist, evil and the cause of most of the worlds problems. Tragic.
Great observation, Mr. 5 0. I had the unfortunate experience to be in some leftist writing course (that's not how it was described in the class catalog ) during my time at The Ohio State University. While my overall experience at OSU was great, it always bothered me that this one professor would not allow (my opinion, of course) any rational, supportable argument for another persepctive (i.e. conservative). I think the prof used the classroom as her own little cult teaching studio. It made me sick.

I think we may have too many educated idiots out there - scary.

Anyways, just wanted to comment on your keen observation.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote