MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2001, 04:28 AM   #1
5.fast.0
Registered Member

Talking what r cool tricks i can do to my 88lx

im 16 and i just got a 88 lx 5.0 and i realy want to ake it look good. i was wondering if there are little things that i can get for it. like a shift nob or white cobra gauges?
5.fast.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:59 AM   #2
fordmanck
Registered Member

Just a lil advice. Don't worry about looks until you get some stuff to make it quicker. Remove the air silencer if you haven't yet, get a K&N filter, and some pullies. If you want a different shifter handle, get a PRO 5.0 shifter and get a different knob for it then. Just my 2¢.

------------------

94GT Mac Headers, BBK Off-road H-pipe, ASP Pulleys, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 4.10 Gear, Weld in subs, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NOS 150 shot. Best ET 12.34 @ 110.
fordmanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
Jaydee
Registered Member

Get your hands on a catalog from any of the major Mustang parts suppliers (Mustangs Unlimited, California Mustang etc.) - odds are very good that you will find the types of items you are looking for - there are lots of them to choose from. And for what its worth, have fun with the car but respect it,drive smart and learn how to handle it - A 5.0 stang can be a lot of car for a new driver to handle and you can get over your head faster than you think - Enjoy!
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 10:50 AM   #4
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Deffinately! Be careful! Those cars have more than you expect, i'm talking from $2000.00 worth of body damage expierence. And i recomend starting with performance mods also. Making your car look fast should happen after it starts to be fast. People with stock as rock cars that spend all of their $ making them look like race cars are called ricers. Not to say that a new knob and gauge faces aren't cool, just think about buying a new knob with your new SHIFTER, or new white 140 mph gauges when you put the GEARS in. Ya Know? Have fun with your new stang and WELCOME TO MUSTANGWORKS! BTW, I'm only 19, so it's not like some old fart is just trying to give you a hard time or something. Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 11:46 AM   #5
smithbling
Registered Member

Get some blackouts for the headlights.
Get some CHROME pipes (always get people's attention).
Tint the windows
Get some wheels
Lower it

etc, etc, etc...........

------------------
C ME FLY

88 coupe
14.75 @ 98 mph
Traction Limited

smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 12:56 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Looks like you are from CA, so I'm guessing your car has the Mass Airflow equipped EEC-IV computer system in it. With the CA '88, you should be able to pull a mid 14 second pass with the 5spd in bone stock form.

You've already got more than enough power since this is probably your first car. I'd stay away from adding power until you get aquainted with your car a little better, regardless of what the speed freaks say! They won't be happy until they have you in the 10's!

Get an aftermarket shifter, I like the Steeda Tri Ax from what I've heard and how they are priced. A carbon fiber shift knob ususally looks pretty good too. Not only with the shifter help with the appearance and shift speed, but it'll also protect your transmission. It could definately save you some big money down the line.

Does it have the stock 10 hole wheels? If so, you may want to get a new set, some different wheels can add a lot to the way your car looks.

The white face gauges are very nice looking units, but make sure you research them, use the search function in Windsor Power to find out which brands are the best, and which ones you want to steer clear of.

After or while you are doing something like the above, focus on maintenence. The 5.0 can last a long time. Mine has 141k still pulling hard, and that's no record. To get longevity out of them, you should take care of them. Perform a tune up, change the oil, time the motor, make sure everything is in good working order. Have everything checked out and fix whatever's wrong with it.

I'd stay away from adding hoods, spoilers, and other aggressive bodywork, like they guys have said, all show no go isn't so good. I don't care what anyone might say about you becoming a ricer? You're car is already in the 14's, adding a lot of stuff to it may not be right, but it's not going to make you a ricer. My interpretation of ricer is a 16 sec car with 900 stickers that aren't actually having anything to do with the vehicle and thousands of dollars of mods and can be beat by an average everyday Joe in his econobox.

There is everything under the sun made for the Fox body 5.0's. If you want it, they make it, and some one on this board will know where to find it, most likely how much it costs, and who to get it from.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 04:04 PM   #7
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

gears,K&N, shifter and exhuats should hold you off for a while

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 10:06 AM   #8
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

I have to defend my self here. In no way is Marbles a 10 sec. bruiser. And in no way am i telling you to go out and blow thousands of dollars on heads and super chargers. I am merely stating that there are a lot of tghings that can make your car look better while actually making it drive and handle batter also. Plus some things are almost considdered a must do, like a shifter wich is relatively inexpensive while being a great mod. And UNIT5302 was right, a STEEDA shifter is a great piece. But to respond to him, i consider a ricer to be someone who is infatuated with the APPEARENCE or LOOK of performance and spends $ on that stuff rather than on things to make their car acctually be faster. It doesn't matter to me what they drive, rice is more of a display and personalitty thing in my book.

5.FAST.0- Enjoy the stang, it is a greaty car. I recomend getting some litterature oin it like Al Kirschembaum's book THE 5.0 mustang guide and performance hand book. Light Em Up!!

BTW: Some things that will make the car look better that i'd do are things like replace ripped up weather stripping or fix broken ash tray doors. Things to clean up the appearence a little.

[This message has been edited by NoSlow5.0 (edited 01-06-2001).]
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote