MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: What's up with this? (selling car)

Thanks for the approval, guys. It's much appreciated. I knew the car wasn't rare when I started fixing it up, but you still have to do right by these mustangs regardless.

I actually have an older gentleman that saw my car in the mustang and ford print ad, and he seems interested. I emailed a bunch of pics but I guess he's taking his time.

If I don't end up selling it this summer, I'm probably going to end up keeping it and start doing that performance build on the 289 that I made a topic about a while ago. Lately I've been thinking of doing the rebuild to the specs of Shelby's 289 that he used in the GT350s and maybe swapping the C4 out for a T5. This would kinda hurt, though, seeing as how the C4 has about 1,000 miles on it since I had it rebuilt. I'm kicking myself for not doing the swap before I rebuilt that thing, but I just couldn't mess with originality. Even if I go through with the swap, I'd keep the C4 on display in the garage or something.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Well, the guy never got back to me after I emailed him the pictures of the car. I've still got a month left for the ads to run, but I'm already at peace with the fact that this car isn't going anywhere.

P.S. Anyone know of a machine shop like Powerheads that's a bit closer to the California central valley? Around Sacramento, perhaps? I live about 40 minutes south of there in Stockton, and as far as I know all we have here is Mustangs Plus. I'm just a bit hesitant to ship my original heads, I'd feel better delivering them personally.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #23
Dark Knight
Registered Member

What do you plan on having done? Might try http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/index.html and see if they know of someone.
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #24
Vamp89
Registered Member

I looked at your ad and it says your asking 15,000 no o.b.o, anyways I'd keep it I can't see putting 20,000 in a stang and just getting rid of it. I'd get rid of my wife and kids first.

Vamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #25
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

http://www.powerheads.com/sb289.html

This is something I want done to my original 289 heads. I've considered buying aluminum heads, but decided against it. I don't really want to spend $1,000+ for the heads, and then ship them out again for another $1,000 in machine work. If I was building a dedicated racer, things would be different, but I'm just trying to build a healthy engine for cruising and such.

Back on topic...if I can find somewhere reputable to do this work within a couple hours of here, that would be great.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #26
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

It looks like Sacramento Mustang has their own shop, but I'm not sure if it's just for installing the parts they sell or if they do machine work as well. I'm still waiting for a response from them. It'd be pretty sweet if all I had to do was drive up to Sac for my machine work.

It truly does suck living in a town where every shop around seems to only do fart-can and CAI installations.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #27
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoveiagt
It looks like Sacramento Mustang has their own shop, but I'm not sure if it's just for installing the parts they sell or if they do machine work as well. I'm still waiting for a response from them. It'd be pretty sweet if all I had to do was drive up to Sac for my machine work.

It truly does suck living in a town where every shop around seems to only do fart-can and CAI installations.
Wondering why you don't want aftermarket Al. heads? It won't cost any more to install those than reworked stock heads and it should be a + rather than a - as to the value of the car. You won't get as much performance improvement with reworked OEM heads as you will with unaltered TFTW, AFR, Edelbrock RPM, or other quality aftermarket Al heads. You can always paint them blue if you want factory appearance.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #28
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoveiagt
Just a little side note. Does anyone else think it's a bad thing that the more common Mustangs don't command a price that would justify a restoration? The situation is already pretty bad, about 95% of the early coupes and even 'verts that I see are in horrible shape. I guess this is why.
It's like they say in the stock market. The market doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks. It's all supply and demand. As these old Mustangs age and deteriorate, it will be harder and harder to find a good one. Right now, there are still lots of early Stang coupes that have more or less solid bodies and not too much rust. These can be restored with out too much extensive structural repair. $20,000 or so might fix one up fairly well if the owner does some of the labor. Just as in your case a person can buy one for less than it cost to build it. I woulndn't plan on making a profit unless I was in the business of buying and selling classic Mustangs. The dealer always buys at wholesale and sells at retail. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #29
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

^All I was saying here is that maybe the reason I see basketcases everywhere around here is because they don't command a price high enough to make it worth restoring for most people.

Also, I've never bought aftermarket heads before, but they don't come pre-port & polished or anything, do they? Wouldn't I still have to have at least SOME machine work done to get the full benefits?

P.S. You seem to have quoted the wrong post, Rev. You want the one above the one you first picked, about how I've already considered alum. heads.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: