MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
skz4u
Registered Member

Default Huge Car Selling Scam!!!!!!!!!!

Hello fellow Mustangers. I wanted to make all of you aware of a car selling scam that might effect you if you are selling your vehicle on the internet. I am selling a 1996 Mustang GT and posted it on the internet on various sites including this one. I received an E-mail from a guy named “John Adams” who said that he works for a company that purchases cars for people. He had a client that was interested in my car, who went through STONEAGE.Com. I was asking $9000 for my car, but his client gave him a check for $16,000 to cover the cost of the car and shipping charges. He said that he would send me a check for the $16,000 and to western Union him the remaining balance. When he received the remaining balance that he would arrange pick up and delivery of the vehicle. Sounds too good to be true huh? Well it is!! I called the issuing bank located in WA, and they told me that the check is fraudulent, to contact my local F.B.I. The F.B.I. said that this has been a big scam for a while now and they are just starting to crack down on it. I didn’t know that this scam was so big, they said that some people have lost their cars and had a negative balance in their accounts after cashing these checks. You get the money in 2 days, spend it, and then in 2 weeks the check bounces after the guy got your car and some money in his pocket. Now you owe the bank what ever the check was for. Well I now have a fake cashiers check for $16,000 and I still have my car. I saved all of his E-mails for the F.B.I. and here is a link about internet car scams. http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm
I hope that this may help some of you who decide to sell their car on the internet and what to watch out for. Like the old saying goes “If it sounds too good to be true, it is!” Good luck and be careful out there.
skz4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know,this is the first i hear of that.I hope they pay for what they're doing,and i'm glad you still have your car.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
skz4u
Registered Member

Thanks bro, the FBI says that this has been happening for a while now in the states and some people lost their cars and the money. I just happened to be one of the lucky ones. If there's anyone out there going through something like this drop me a line and I'll tell you what to look for and who to contact. take care all!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

This has been going on for some time. The scammers are now hitting the motorcycle sellers, especially Harley's.

A certified check can take up to several weeks to actually clear, no matter what the bank tells you.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
burn rubber
Registered Member

I am selling My 26' Checkmate Boat on EBAY for 17,000 hoping to get 21,000. any way check out this email I got from this guy. Glad I turned it down. seemed strange to me

Hello,
I will like to buy this car for $21,000.00,
I am intrested to buy this car and i will like it to be ship to Holland in Europe.

To make the payment more faster and easier, i am especting the sum of $96,500.00 from a company
in US. i will ask them to send you the amount($96,500.00) But as soon as the cheque clear you will send the remaining money to my account in europe.

Also i will like to let you know that i have my own shipper that will come over to your address and pick it up as soon as the cheque clear.

If this is ok with you, kindly email me back on .......................

Also email me the name and the address to appear on the cheque and your telephone numbers, please dont email me p.o.box address, because the cheque will be send my fedex courier services and fedex does not deliver to p.o boxes.
Till i read from you.

Williams.
Steeda timing adjuster,Steeda underdrive pullies, ,steeda tri-ax 3650 shifter,24#fms injecters,bbk 70mm throttlebody,80mm maf,bassanni x pipe, Borla Side Exit exhaust, fms 4.10's, moser 31 spline axles, custom diablo chip.Steeda caster camber plates,g-trac bar,cobra r ground effects and hood,cobra r springs,ported upper intake.Comp cams #102600,fms jet hot coated shorty headers,mod max cam gears. msd 7020 Stacker 8
burn rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
skz4u
Registered Member

Damn Dude, that story sounds awfully too familiar to me. God you got lucky. I was told a very simliar story to that one. Good thing you passed it up. I am still in conversations with the FBI over this crap and it happened last week. I glad that people are starting to be aware of these scams now. and Just for your information, these scams are originating out of Nigeria and South Africa, but the people are saying or pretending to be from Europe. If anyone ever receives a check by Fed_Ex couriour from Nigeria or S. Africa turn it in. I Actually called the issuing bank from the check and the money was there to cover the check, making me think this deal was good. Well it turned out the the account and money were good, but the check number was never issued. They are stolen checks from U.S. citizen accounts. The unfortunate thing is that the Nigerian and S.African Governments do not support the U.S. so they won't help the FBI track down these people, and we loose our money. Take care bro and thanks for writting, hopfully we can help some other people out too.