MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2001, 08:59 AM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool Who Loves Their Convertibles

Well it's been a little over two years now since we bought our 96GT convertible and I can't get enough of it. Yah, it's heavy and coupled with a first gen. 4.6 it's a dog but I love it. It's never been vandalized and the top is still in great shape. Detailing the interior is a breeze when the top is down (as well as loading groceries) and there's nothing better than cruising down the highway with the Mach 460 pumped up.
We'll get it fast someday but until then we can still enjoy the ride. We have plans for it but for now it just sports a Borla side exhaust, FMS pulleys, Pro-M 87mm MAF, and a K&N with silencer removed (it's a start).
Is anyone else still in love with their ragtop? Sorry... seems like kind of a pointless topic but it's summer now and I see a lot of them around.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 09:34 AM   #2
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I can't get enough of mine. I drive with the top down as much as I can. Nothing like going down the shore with a friend and some girls in the back with the top down. And just think, next summer I will be getting my Waverunners

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
DaTank
Registered Member

Well, I've got to say I bought mine in May of 92 (6,000 miles), and I still look forward to driving it.
I can't see ever getting rid of it. It has 126,000 miles on it, and still going strong.

Yes, it's heavey, but there is nothing like putting the top down and just cruizing around.
Brad

------------------
1991 Mustang GT Conv.
Removed silencer, K&N air filter, Cobra manifold, 65mm TB,
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 180 thermo., Mac headers,
High flow H-pipe, Force II W/2 chamber Flowmaster,
Hurst Shifter, 3.55 gears, subframes

DaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:02 AM   #4
1BadMoFo5.0

I love mine to death. As long as it is not pouring down rain my top is down. I only put it up once a week to wash it. Plus we I cruise with the girls everyone can see me better.

------------------
Bia Bia!!! 89' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang and a 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. If you want to know the rest, buy the rights.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 07-03-2001, 01:51 PM   #5
redsn95vert
Registered Member

I'll rock mine till the wheels fall off. Nothing is better than doing 120 with the top down....

------------------
95 GT convertable, 3.73 gears, bbk off road h-pipe, march underdrive pullies, Saleen wires, custom made cold air induction,
Cobra intake w/ 65mm tb
GT40 heads, flowtech headers
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 02:02 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

I love mine. That's why I invested so much money in it. Late night drives on a balmy night with clear skies are the best.

SmokeyDP, shouldn't you have a chick up front with you, or is your friend just really tall?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 05:19 PM   #7
crewzin
Registered Member

Cool

Me and 347mom love ours till death do us part! We've had three all together, they keep getting faster though. Drop em if ya got em. The top that is!
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:08 PM   #8
blue-thunder
Registered Member

Put it to you this way, if it aint raining, the top is down! Its the perfect car for driving around in sunny so cal.
blue-thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 08:26 PM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

This is exactly my point. There's nothing better than cruising a country road at night with the stars above and the glow of the dashlights on your face. If I had a garage i'd have the f*cker dropped constantly

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 07-03-2001, 09:58 PM   #10
rbatson

Thumbs up

Can't see being without atleast one. March in fla/top down and 'tangerine' blarring from the stereo... paradise

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 07-03-2001, 10:33 PM   #11
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Wink

NOW, did you really think you could make this post, and me not get in on it!!!!! Buying Topless was the best thing I ever did. Never had a vertte before. The top is NEVER up(unless i'm parked at work, and it's raining). It's been rained in more than its fair share. I do try to keep it up at work so the sun doesn't bake it any more than it is. I always show her w/ the top down. I've drove her home once from a show from Galveston with the top down, it was raining pretty hard. Did you know that if your going 95 in the rain you dont get wet??? I wash her every week w/ the top down. Too much trouble to put it up. I work around it.
Also like you said Stefan, sure makes unloading groceries, dogs, kids etc..easier!!! Nothing like being in the wind!!!!!! Unless you live it, you wont understand!!!!(am I right????)

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:39 PM   #12
SANDSGT
Registered Member

TOPLESS... definately the way to go!

This is my 3rd rag top Stang and I just love them. Did go wrong when making first Stang purchase and got a 25th Anniv GT coupe '89, it was sweet but it didn't take long for the wanting of a rag top to set in. A year later I traded the '89 in on my first rag top '91GT, then to a '93GT, and most recently my '99GT Limited Edition Convertible Anniversary Model.

Three rag tops out of four ain't to bad!

The night-time drives under the stars are best. Of course I always thought it would be cool to be out cruising topless during a light snowfall. But, haven't tried it yet... think people would have me committed?

------------------
35th Anniversary
Limited Edition
Black on Black
5-speed
SANDSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 03:43 AM   #13
ed1371
Registered Member

it is close to impossible to get my son in his car seat without having the top down cause of my cage..I like to call it "drop in loading" (like the advantix cameras)

I love the vert to death but hate how heavy she is!
-ed
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 07:06 AM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

Yes, the drop in loading is definitely a plus. I put our son, 2, in the front, and our daughter, 1, in the back.

As far as rain goes, isn't it cool how you can drive in the rain and barely get wet as long as you don't stop?

What's uncool is that I left the top down once overnight and it poured. My driver side door speaker rusted because of it.

Old 07-04-2001, 09:29 AM   #15
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

There's some commrcial out now (can't remember for what) that says something like..
"Sometimes you just need to the let the wind brush your hair..."

Stats as of yesterday from May of 99:

-Zero rain in car from having top down
-Zero snow in car from having top down
-Zero tree sap
-One Guinness Book of World Records sized birdsh*t on the headrest (took it two years to happen)
Who ever said it was too hot in Kansas to own a convertible... was probably right... but it hasn't stopped me yet!

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 07-04-2001, 09:34 AM   #16
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Thumbs down

I forgot to mention...yesterday I was in a hurry going to work. Left the top down. A bird 'Christened' my passenger seat!!! THat was DEFINETELY a first. Yuk!

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:44 PM   #17
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Cool

Love both of mine.

Nothing beats going to the beach with the top down.

Actually, nothing beats going anywhere with the top down

------------------
1997 Black Cobra Convertible. #2788 of 3088
Mostly Stock - Vortech Anyone?
1988 5.0 LX Convertible -Work Car...Few Mods.
Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:54 PM   #18
jimberg
Registered Member

In the 12 years that I have had the convertible, never once has a bird shat on the interior. Knock on wood

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
Old 07-04-2001, 05:28 PM   #19
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question

I LOVE conv.!! But why are they so heavy?

Yeah I noticed the rain thing, I thought that was interesting. It's not fun being burned buy the sun though....
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 07:24 PM   #20
RobertD
Registered Member

I absolutely love my convertible. I take her out at least once a month and just cruise her all over the city. Just something cool about riding around with the top down...

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote