MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2001, 03:38 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Post Street Racing Memories.LONG.

While I was getting ready to cook my self some dinner, a truck load of Romen Noodle Soup packages fell from the cupboard and hit me on the head. My street racing life passed right before my eyes.

Mustangman's thread about Mustang memories made me think of the first race I ever had, and the best race I ever had. Just thought I'd share them with you all. I hope you all share some of your racing memories with us also.

My first Impromto on the street , well the first that I can remember was on the way to visit my friend the cop. I was in my 64 1/2, Diane (289) and my friend eric was in the passenger seat. It was a hot, humid, oppressive Saturday night. My car was still pretty much the way I bought it. I didnt do that engine till 2 years after this incident.

I was at a light, when a 96 GT Convertable pulled up next to me. I remember it was green. I was looking at the car when the guy reved. Eric said something about the guy wanting to race. I didnt think anything of it.

I reved back, and he reved again. Fun, I thought. The light turns green and the Convertable spins tires. My friend yells FLOOR IT MAN.

I had already begun to, and my tires started spinning. He hooked split second before I did. I let off the gas a tad till she caught, and I shot off.

I remember the Adrenaline rush as I passed the 96 GT Convertable. The sound of it was spine tingling pleasure to me, the sound of his 4.6, and my 289 winding out gave me goose bumps. I remeber I felt my car begin to nose off, so I let off the gas the slightest bit so it would shift. (My car didnt have a tach in it then.) It hit second and chirped.

I remember thinking

I remember Eric yelling "Cool, you chirped second man.". Holy Hell, I'm winning. I'm pulling away. I'm winning. Cops...Who cares. That was the first time I looked in the rear view mirror to see how bad I was beating someone. Looking at that tiny round driver side mirror to see his Front end Nose down between shifts, then rise back up.

I dont know my speed, the speedometer didnt work at the time either. I estimate it to be close to 80 MPH. I had by what looked like a car length.

Man, I had to pull over into the Old Walmart parking lot and take a breather. I was shaking so bad from the adrenaline. The guy beeped and gave me the thumbs up when he passed by at more legal speeds.

The Best race the Old Stang's ever been in was the one with the White LT-1 Z28 with orange stripes. I posted that one a few months back. The guy insulted me when I turned down his challenge because my car was so out of tune. That was one of the first races I got in after I put the worked over heads and 1:7-1 rockers on it.

She cooked that LT-1. I'm not going to retype the whole story. his Nose was a few feet from my rear bumper by the time we hit 90, and I had to let off because of a turn we were approaching.

I'll post my first race in my 2000 GT, and my best race in the 2000 GT later. I'm going to hit the sack now.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote