MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Wink Why ask "Why me?"

I'm kind of upset and I think this will help if it doesn't make me sound like a dork and bring everyone down...

My dad bought me an '83 GLX conv. when I was 16 (1995). It was a piece and a v6 so he got it painted and the body fixed. I have never been so proud since. I worked for a year to buy a 5.0 for it like my older friend had (A brand new 1993 lx coupe).
Ahhh, so stop here if you want- cos this is where it begins...

So dad felt bad cause everything went wrong with the car and I had to spend all of my money on it that I had saved for a motor. He gets a promotion and buys me the car of my dreams... an '86 GT conv triple white for $5,000. That car is still under user's rides by the way (I miss u baby!).

To make a long story short, she needed a lot of work after the abuse I gave her for 4 1/2 years. We couldn't afford anymore and I parted ways with a car that had $10k sunk in it for $2,900. That was about year 2000.

You see, my dad meant a lot to me because he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when he was 9 yrs old. His mom was in a wheel chair with it and died when he was 18- his dad passed when he was only 2. He grew up in poverty in the middle of Alabama. He went to school and pulled himself out of poverty and got a job with the Army.

4 weeks ago my dad went into another surgery, he has had many. This was to fix one of his 9 or so artificial joints- a hip replacement from 1973 that was only supposed to last 10 years. I left the hospital one day 3 weeks ago and bought my first Mustang GT on my own. I told him that when he got better I could drive it over and show it to him. As you've probably figured out by now, that day never came and never will.

I guess even though this a messed up place to say it- Be strong... guys the soul of man can overcome anything the body cannot. So next time you have a headache, or don't feel good... take my word for it- pretend it's not there. Nothing can ruine your day if you don't let it. And one other thing, swallow your pride and go give your dad a hug if you've still got one, there will come a day. So uh anyway, I'm back after 5 or so years!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Why ask "Why me?"

I dont think it is out of place at all. Good to have you back and I am sorry for your loss.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Re: Why ask "Why me?"

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing the father you were close to is very tough and not something you just 'get over'. However, you seem to have had a great dad who loved you and opened the world of Mustangs for you, starting at age 16. Not all dad's will do that. As you already know full well, you were fortunate to have him.

Your dad will always live in your memory and the man you are will always be at least a partial reflection of him. Be strong and know that what you are experiencing with your loss will come to almost all of us, sooner or later. It's a part of life. That doesn't maske it one bit easier to deal with but it does put your loss into some kind of context, for whatever that is worth.

Oh....welcome back to Mustang Works.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

That'll bring things into perspective. I think I'll go call my dad right now. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

(changed) Thanks 4barrel

...the epitome of Murphy's Law

Last edited by HoodStrype; 09-09-2005 at 08:32 AM..
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

I'm extremly sorry if you misunderstood me. I didn't mean any of that in sarcasim. I called my dad and talked for quiet a while. I recently moved three hours from home and I don't get to spend time with my dad the way I used to. I have no problem with your post. Once again, I hate to hear about your loss.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

My Dad bought me my first Mustang also, and gave it to me on my 16th Birthday in 1986. It was a 64 1/2, in fact the 20th Stang ever built. Long story short, she didn't have a title, so she sat for fear of sinking money into a project that I might never get to drive. (Just sold her 3 years ago, and saw her driving down the road last month!!! I was extatic!!)
Soooo, ended up with a (cough) Shivvy Pickup, diesel engine yanked, 400 small block dropped in. Spent MANY hours figuring out why it wouldn't run, but he got it. See my Dad has been a mechanic for my whole life. Taught me everything I needed to know, and then some.
Traded that Truck in on a 1980 Cobra when we moved to Florida. Dad got that one working too. Being around diesels his whole life, the turbo was NOT a problem for him.
Moved back to Ohio in 1989, and Dad was there for me once again. Co-signed a loan to buy my 1984 GT.
I got married in 1990, and my Dad was my best man in my wedding. And starting a family, all the toys had to go. (THAT car, I miss!!!) My wife and I ran into some financial trouble as most young couples do, we were only 20 when we got married.
In 2002, I found this Stang in Chattanooga Tennessee that I just HAD to have. Hadn't had any toys since 1990, so you guessed it. Dad loaned me the 4K to but the car you see in my sig. I've added several thousand dollars to it since then, but without his help, I could have never done it. See, with Dad's help, I started building my current car when I was 16. Now that I'm 35, I've learned enough about cars that I'm able to build this flying machine. I only hope I learned enough about being as good a father to my children, as he has been to me.
I'm fortunate enough to still have him with me, and NOT A DAY goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars for that.

Sorry to get long winded, but I had to explain so you would understand.

I am TRULY sorry for your loss.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
grey88gt
Registered Member

Sry for the lose of your DAD HoodStrype. WOW! Great posts here. I grew up around Ford, my dad worked for a local dealer thats now no longer there. I used to go there after school and help him. He to helped me get my 1st car. It got hit and I put the engine in a 74 F100 . He still has the 66 F100 that I learned how to drive in, (240 cid 3speed on the tree LOL), now has a 351w and auto trans. My dad had TB when he was young. The Shriners hospitals removed it when was 7 and he had to learn how to walk all over again. He now has desgenertive joint disease. I live about 400 ft from my parents and help them alot. Hes getting where he cant get around real good. He has spoieled my kidds LOL but he,s a great dad and grandpa. Itll be tough on me and my son when he has to leave. Again sry for your loss, hang in there and believe in what your father showed you in life, and had it down to your children, and do for them as he would have done for you.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: