MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-23-2003, 09:53 AM   #1
triumphbc
Registered Member

Default Worth buying?

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=10

I have a '83 Ford LTD and love it. Unfortunately, it is going the way of the dinosaur and I am looking at late 80's Mustangs to replace my beauty with some more muscle. Does anyone have any opinions on this car (or others like it)? Things to watch out for, desirable features? I am trying to do my homework so I can work towards a street/autocross dominator. I definately don't have much money to spend, so the price is right on this one.
What do you think?
triumphbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Sounds like a pretty good deal, but doesn't really tell much, and never go by a picture. Anyone can paint a car, if it looks good is another story, how are tires, ehaust, any bondo, rust, hell the other side of the car can be missing. Best bet is to go take a look at her, but sounds nice.

-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
aford50lx
Registered Member

I agree with mach1 NEVER go by a picture, go check her out drive her and if you have any body with automotive knowledge that can come with you that would be a plus,although i bought my 92 lx for 4000,it had 86,000 miles on her before i swapped the 5.0 with the FRPP- A-351, SEEMS LIKE A NICE RIDE THOUGH!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
triumphbc
Registered Member

I totally agree with you guys. I am fairly mechanical and upon closer inspection would be able to tell if it was a lemon. As true Mustang fans, your input on the model/specs and performance for the price is what I am most interested in. I am looking for a good platform car which isn't going to need an engine/transmission swap (or anything else too serious) which I can build on to create the car of my dreams. Thanks for your opinions, so far it sounds like I should inquire further. If anyone can give me more background that'd be great.
triumphbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

looks like it was well cared for, but look for signs of body buckling. that will tell you what kind of abuse the car hassuffered over the years.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:45 AM   #6
Chris Wilson
Registered Member

About all you can do is go look at it. I just bought a 93 Conv for $7800 that has had a ton of work done to it. The car looks nice in the photo, but most of them do. Look for the things that have ben mentioned here.

Chris
Chris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:07 AM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by rbohm
looks like it was well cared for, but look for signs of body buckling. that will tell you what kind of abuse the car hassuffered over the years.
I cant stress that point enough. I bought mine for $4000 and didnt know jack about jack of a mustang. i didnt think anything of that little hump under the liscense plate. Now I know that it is from the previous owner dumping it at high rpms on slicks at the track and the body was torqing on it. I doesnt hold an alignment for ****. I still love it, but just look over the car with a close eye. My friend had an '87 gt 5spd and I used to run z28's into the ground with it. it ws bone stock. That year is a speed density, unless it is a cali car, they had the mass air in 88. 89' and up have mass air everywhere else. Speed densities are harder to tune when mods are added, but make great power when tuned right. For the price and just what I can see from the pic, it doesnt seem to bad of a desl, I would just go over it closely. Good luck with it and I hope it turns out to be everything it should be.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote