MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

Default Is it worth rebuilding

I traded my red t-top for a white t-top and it needs some work.. on the body, interior ect. What i want to know is if a t-top is worth the time and money since its a t-top?
1988 mustang gt t-top svo alum. Heads, comp cam rockers, e303 cam, Mass air, BBK cold air induction, BBK throttle body, gt-40 intake 1 inch spacer, Alum. drive shaft, world class 5 speed, 3.55 gear rear end, drag front springs.
PowerSlideGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Re: Is it worth rebuilding

Shit...I don't think there were very many '88 T-top made.
Anyhow, I like t-tops, although they all leak at some point or another. My '82GT is a t-top.
Keep it
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Depends on how much money it would take to make the car whole and worthy of respect - as well as what the car is worth to you. Being almost 24 years old, it will only hold a minimal resale value if it needs a lot of work but once restored correctly it could return your investment when you're ready to sell it.

1988 Mustang T-tops are getting pretty rare so it is probably worth keeping, but body work done right is expensive (so are new interiors) so you have to weigh your options as to your personal finances and what you want to do with the car. If you intend to hang onto it for awhile, restoration is a must. It will only appreciate in value as it hits 25 years old...if it's restored. Just don't try a half-arse, on-the-cheap resto as that will kill the 'Stangs value for sure. Do it right or just let it go as is and enjoy the car while you can.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Check this out...
When I bought my 89GT a couple of months ago, I was estatic. Then after a week or so of snooping around under the hood I noticed that there was a whole PILE of stuff that needed to be fixed. I started rethinking it and wished I had spent more time searching.
But, now I'm more determined than ever. By God this is my Mustang... and I don't care what anyone else paid, what there's is worth, because this heap has grown on me and I've spent 2 months everyday working on it and too much money! It will someday be the baddest Mustang in North Alabama. Just not today...
If you have an attitude like mine, it's not about how much it's worth- or how much it's gonna cost... It's worth it to me. It's my 10 year project that 'I' will complete by myself so that I can look at it and look at what 'I' did.
If you don't see it that way, sell it to someone who does and buy a newer car. You'll be much happier when it doesn't break down every month!

PS: For instance, I have a horrible blue/purple paint job so I have to get it painted, oxygen sensors welded into the homemade h-pipe, a once nice fiberglass hood that some idiot cut the brace out of, peeling Chrome cobra r knock-offs, ugly euro tail lights (sell ya cheap!), 10 small dings/dents, cracked futuristic style valence, no radio, cut wiring harness to that radio, no sway bar, dang 90/10's on the front I hate, some moron tried to install speakers in the hatch by cutting up the interior panels, and believe me I could go on!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The T-top cars are signficantly more rare than the 93+ Cobra's. Though they only made about 2000 T-top cars in 1987, they didn't come close to selling out. The 800 remaining cars were re-badged as 1988 models.

So there were only about 800 1988 T-tops ever offered for sale. If it's savable, the return on investment could be substantial... but then again, it'll probably be another 10-20 yrs before the 1987-1993 fox body cars command any type of premium for being a classic.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

Don't ever buy a car thinking its a good investment unless its an old '57 vette sitting in a barn, type of situation. You don't fix them up to make money on them, unless you're in that business(they get the cars real cheap). The T-top cars lost alot of popularity when it became common knowledge that they leak. What it comes down to is how much it will take and what its worth to you. Expect to lose money when you sell it, realize that and just enjoy it while you have it.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

Thanks guys, The car has been threw a little hell, for example its had atleast two people try to put a system in it so the inner wire harness is all messed up, thats why right now it wont start, the inner dash wire harness is messed up. I want to keep the car because i love the fox bodies, and no one else i know (besides my sister who has a 87 red gt t-top) has one of these. T-tops leak, but they make seals for that... and judging from hoodstypes stang, i have a few steps ahead of him. This is the car i want to rebuild and drive for as long as i can, just wasnt sure if it was worth my troubles, i have realized it is though. The body needs some work on the top of the cab... new body moldings and such.. but thats alright, since i do paint and body i will get to do it for cost and labor.
1988 mustang gt t-top svo alum. Heads, comp cam rockers, e303 cam, Mass air, BBK cold air induction, BBK throttle body, gt-40 intake 1 inch spacer, Alum. drive shaft, world class 5 speed, 3.55 gear rear end, drag front springs.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Capri306

Don't ever sell a car you love. No amount of money is worth it, and once it's gone, it's gone.

/sentimentalism OFF

Oh, and when I say 'love' I mean it as in you have a lot of memories with it, or it really is a worth a lot to you personally. Remember the dude that tried to marry his Mustang in Florida? Yeah, not like that.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Yeah, if you're a couple of steps ahead of me and enjoy getting dirty and blowing all of your money on an old worthless car... you should do well!!! I'm considering buying a junker and making the best car out of the two. It is nearly impossible to find a cheap foxbody in any condition here in Alabama, they are just too popular. Remember Jeff Foxworthy's 10 days of Christmas..."And some parts to a Mustang GT!"

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

lol yea thats one of the reasons i like that song... i like to build mustangs.. i know there money pits but damn are they fun.