View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Well, there are a few different reasons why "X" may be used instead of "Christ", but the day Decembr 25th was celebrated long before Christ was born (and not in honor of Christ--- it was a pagan holiday)....

Now Christmas is spelled in Greek with the letters Chi-rho-iota-sigma-tau-omicron-upsilon-gamma-epsilon-nu-nu-alpha.

*To see how it looks spelled in Greek, check out the attachment.*

Yes the "X" or "chi" is nearly identical to the "X" in English and it is the first letter of the word in the Greek equivalent to Christmas. I think, however, there is a lot of personal reasons x is used instead of Christ:
--- laziness
--- abbreviation of Christ (whatever the motive)
--- purpose in taking away the "religious" aspect of Christmas (crossing out or x-ing out Christ)
--- I actually believe some people would rather call it "Santamas"

Anyway, the holiday is used by many Christians to celebrate the birth (or incarnation) of Christ even though it is not factual that he was born on December 25th, but is an evolution (I hesitate to use the word) of the pagan holiday for worshipping Tammuz, the son of Semiramis, wife of Nimrod and was observed in honor of his (Tammuz) birth (check your history books...). Also, it is more likely (IMO) that Jesus Christ was born in the spring and not winter...

Personally, I will continue refering to the holiday as "Christmas" and reflect on the gift of Christ... I could care less about Santa, really... (...some of you may feel the same way about Christ...)
Attached Images
File Type: gif xmas (greek).gif (2.9 KB, 28 views)
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote