View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 08:55 AM   #17
this is not cbring
Registered Member

i consider myself anti-partisan. however, i tend to vote democrat and will not even consider voting republican until they begin to support unions. gun control is not the highest of priorities when it comes to political issues. i don't forsee letting a gun control stance affect my vote in the near future.

however, this is where i see a problem. i don't know what it takes to register a gun or get a concealed weapon permit, so these might all be a failure in the system (if that is the case, then the system needs to be relooked anyway):

i know a guy that had a concealed weapon permit. he received this permit despite a driving under the influence charge, a couple of DUI's bumped down to wreckless driving. he also has had a handful of assault, battery, and domestic violence charges. he also had a known drug addiction and was fired from multiple jobs for failing drug charges. nonetheless, he was granted a concealed weapon permit. he got pissed off and shot up a party.

i have another friend with a very similar history and a permit. he only shot himself.

a kid (i say kid cause he is a couple years younger than me, may be 21) down the road from my parents has had several drug possession charges before he turned 18. he still uses and sells. he also had an assault & battery dropped. he has a permit and is quick to pull a gun on someone, i've seen it happen to neighborhood kids. there isn't a night that goes by where i don't worry about him getting high, then robbing and killing my mom.

i don't care what any constitution says, people like this shouldn't have a "right" to carry a gun.