View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 10:04 AM   #19
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I think cbring's original question is still unanswered. . .sortof.
We all have opinions on whether gun control laws work and I happen to believe they don't.

Cbring, gun control as it applies to laws that gun control advocates wish to burden us with, run the gamut from an outright ban on guns for the common person to registering weapons that might cause one to go nannas and kill a tree or something. Some folks want every weapon sold to be registered with the federal government. Why? Who knows. Maybe it will give them a warm fuzzy just having the knowledge.

THey want laws to make us wait for a few weeks before we can take possession of a newly purchased gun. There are those who want ALL handguns banned, not just from the store shelves, but even the thought of ownership should be cause for arrest and evaluation for lunacy.

THey want us to register the weapons we already have so that we can be on a list of suspects for every gun related crime that occurs within 50 miles of home. Given that it takes up to three days to get cleared to buy a gun now, I wonder how long it would take to search THAT database.

They want all guns collected and destroyed. Think it won't happen, it did in Great Britain.

THe latest craze is to ballistics-test every gun sold in this country so we can see "who-done-it" by comparing bullets. This has to be the stupidest thing I've heard to date. What possible good would it do to register the ballistics signature of every gun sold in America? There are already millions of guns out there that won't be documented so how long do we have to wait till all of those guns wear out and have to be replaced and all of our worries are over since we can trace bullets to the perps?

The list goes on. Basically, if you can imagine a way to curb the sales and/or use of guns, there's probably a proposal out there right now that addresses it. Some of the proposals have merit if they could ever be implemented but for the most part those are so outlandish and impossible to enact, they will never be effective. I won't say I am absolutely opposed to laws that will curb gun violence. I happen to like some of the thousands of gun control laws already on the books. They haven't had much effect, but I'm sure that if we pass some more they will work this time.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote