MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-20-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Unhappy ? about people and CHRISTmas

I am just wondering something here. Why is everyone saying X-mas? Do people not believe in Christ, or is this a bad habbit, Or is it just eaiser to type? I'm not raggin on anyone I'm just curious about this. To ME it seems disrespectful because they are taking Chirst out of what the holiday stands for.

Please no flames or stories on how you think religion is crap. I 'm just curious if people do this out of a bad habbit, or if it is intentional because you don't believe.

Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:12 AM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I think the x is meant to resemble a cross.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Well, I don't believe in God. I do believe some dude named Jesus probably hung out a couple thousand years ago and ate a lot of fish (I have seen where he "walked on water", and there are now stones just above the waterline), but I still write out the full title out of respect anyway (don't want to insult the true Christmas Gods, aka: Hallmark). I think it's just a sign of lazyness. I wouldn't get to worked up about.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

"X" is the greek symbol for Christ, so it's not disrespectful.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM   #5
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

i've always wondered that myself. I come from a pretty religious family. So it kind of bothers me. But i can't change everybody's mind.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

yea , I beleive thatt the latin spelling of christ is something like
Xritos but i beleive in the good ol white bread spelling CHRISTMAS..the reason for the season.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Well, there are a few different reasons why "X" may be used instead of "Christ", but the day Decembr 25th was celebrated long before Christ was born (and not in honor of Christ--- it was a pagan holiday)....

Now Christmas is spelled in Greek with the letters Chi-rho-iota-sigma-tau-omicron-upsilon-gamma-epsilon-nu-nu-alpha.

*To see how it looks spelled in Greek, check out the attachment.*

Yes the "X" or "chi" is nearly identical to the "X" in English and it is the first letter of the word in the Greek equivalent to Christmas. I think, however, there is a lot of personal reasons x is used instead of Christ:
--- laziness
--- abbreviation of Christ (whatever the motive)
--- purpose in taking away the "religious" aspect of Christmas (crossing out or x-ing out Christ)
--- I actually believe some people would rather call it "Santamas"

Anyway, the holiday is used by many Christians to celebrate the birth (or incarnation) of Christ even though it is not factual that he was born on December 25th, but is an evolution (I hesitate to use the word) of the pagan holiday for worshipping Tammuz, the son of Semiramis, wife of Nimrod and was observed in honor of his (Tammuz) birth (check your history books...). Also, it is more likely (IMO) that Jesus Christ was born in the spring and not winter...

Personally, I will continue refering to the holiday as "Christmas" and reflect on the gift of Christ... I could care less about Santa, really... (...some of you may feel the same way about Christ...)
Attached Images
File Type: gif xmas (greek).gif (2.9 KB, 28 views)
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:33 PM   #8
jj_jonathon
Trisket

to me Christmas isnt even about Christ anymore...its just a wonderful to for family when we get to give excitement and receive stuff too...i think its fun and a warming time of the year...so its just about being a holiday and a good reason to be with family...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:07 PM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

If y'all are selling that the 'X' is for Christ or the cross, I'm not buying. Not in a society that has communities petitioning against opening a YMCA because they are a "Christian Orginization. " Now I for one had almost forgoten that the acronym stands for "Young Men's Christian Associaiton" or something like that.

You are correct in pointing out that the Christmas holiday was originally a pagan celebration. Heck, even the tree was a pagain symbol. There is a reason that it comes a couple of days after the shortest day of the year, and the symbol for it is an evergreen. Don't have the time to go into it now though.

I'll look into the timing of things, and see if I can't give a better anwer as to when Jesus was actually born. Will be sometime this weekend.

Merry Christmas!

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:41 PM   #10
srv1
Get down.....

i dont believe in god myself. I use X mas because i dont believe in "christ". also it is easier to spell out and everyone knows what it means. i thought "x" was another way to say it without using the word christ.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:31 PM   #11
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

X-mas

Christmas

Greek or whatever...

Jesus Rules!

And may God Bless all of you and your loved ones, this and every year!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:25 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
I'll look into the timing of things, and see if I can't give a better anwer as to when Jesus was actually born. Will be sometime this weekend.

Merry Christmas!
My understanding is that it was sometime in June, but with the latest find of what might have been a mention of him, it's all speculative.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:21 AM   #13
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Interesting thread....

Ya, for myself, its just laziness....guess thats a bad habit I picked up a long time ago....I too, come from a VERY RELIGIOUS mother. Although I dont actively go to church, have not been in years, I believe in God, and the reason for the Season.
Another reason I have done it for years is a problem that ya'll prolly dont have......I always write 'Merry Christine'....then I have to go back and correct it!!! Thats even a worse habit! (really)

It was never meant as a disrespect, although I can see how it can be taken as one...Good points brought up here, and intersting too....

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I never really liked the whole X mas thing I always thought it was just pure lazyness which i really hate. I am from a pretty religous family myself and my mom hated it.

I didn't know that it was greek or anything like that. I don't think most people know that. I think people do it just cuz it is convienant for them. I myself find it disrespect full.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:34 PM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Its pathetic how all the non-believers suddenly convert in times of crisis or unavoidable doom.

If you have lived your whole life denying the love of God why stop when the end is near.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:57 PM   #16
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless In Texas
Interesting thread....

Ya, for myself, its just laziness....guess thats a bad habit I picked up a long time ago
I agree ... when i do it, it's not out of any disrespect. Although i guess in reality it is disrespectful. During the season you have to write Christmas a gajillion times and xmas is just a shortcut. When i was working in electronics everybody always wrote xformer for transformer because you had to write of type it a hundred times a day and by the end of the day it saved you a alot of typing.
No disrespect or hidden meaning here, just pure unadulterated laziness.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:29 PM   #17
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

If I ever do it it's because I am feeling lazy. It's not out of disrespect. I wake up Christmas morning every year and wish Jesus a happy B-Day <~~ lazyness
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #18
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I am a Christian, which doesn't mean that I attend such-and-so church or am part of the so-and-such denomination. Being a Christian means that I believe in and have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, the son of the Living God.

That being said, I really don't care how you write Christmas. I know what it means to me. Sure, I put up a tree, decorate it, sing silly carols about Santa and other hoopla...that has become part of my traditions. I spend tons of money which I really can't afford to spend to buy presents for my family. I check out the holliday sales. I guess that means I buy into the materialism of modern Christmas. However, that doesn't detract from the meaning behind it for me. So what if Christ wasn't born on December 25th? So what if he didn't have a decorated tree. So what if he didn't wrap up some presents in boxes and mail them to his uncle, aunt, grandma, and grandpa the week before Christmas. It's enough that he was born. THAT's what I celebrate. That along with his life and his sacrifice.

If you don't belive in God or Jesus Christ, that's your choice. That's one thing that sets America apart from many countries, because no-one (hopefully) is going to come and throw you in jail because of it. But I know why I celebrate. I know why I look to the sky on Christmas Eve night and say a prayer of thanks. Thankyou God, and God bless.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 08:42 PM   #19
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking :)

Nathan~~~
That was very well said!

I dont know if I mentioned, my boss of the last 19 years (him and his wife own my shop, and both cut hair), is a Baptist Evangelist. He is one of the 4 sons of Freddie Gage, out of Grapevine, TX.(Dallas area) who is a very well known Evangelist for many, many years, throughout the country....

The are good Christian people, and I have learned ALOT from them!! I was only 18 when I started working for them, and his wife (10 years older than me) has been my mentor and MY own Saviour and role model and the really only Postitive female influence in my life...although I dont feel I can honestly say that I am a Christian, I thank God all the time for them and the influence they had on my life. Christmas is always special to me when it comes to them. I respect them, and appreciate all they have done for me over the years.

I'm w/ you, I just got back from Spending money I dont have, and of corse we get into all the tree and the Santa Stuff, and the presents....but if we didn't, then we would all not be stressed out now...and whats this time of year w/out a little stress??

Unrelated: My ulcer has not acted up yet this year......the ADVANTAGE of divorce!!! no more MUTHERINLAW!! hehe......

anyways....Nathan, I just wanted to tell you that You are alot wiser than your years, and I think its cool..... Have a Wonderful Holiday!!!!
TNT

BTW: Ijust caught myself while sending an email, writing Xmas...its done so easily...funny, since this thread, I caught myself and changed it...

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:41 PM   #20
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Thankyou, TNT. That means alot to me.

Merry Christmas.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: