MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: Would you sell your car on a payment plan to a stranger
Poll Options
Would you sell your car on a payment plan to a stranger

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
scootro
Registered Member

Default WTF: Is it with people wanting to buy mustangs

Ok I’ve got a 2000 ford mustang gt for sale for $9,500 with 63k miles. I thought this was a very reasonable
price for my mustang, but I’m getting eight emails a day and I have my car featured in the local classifieds in my hometown and getting twenty phone calls a week with people asking me if I’m willing to TAKE PAYMENTS!!!! WTF… I’m not a car dealer and don’t own a repossession towing business if they decide not to pay for it or wreck it or mainly my car just disappears after one crappy payment. I had to finance my car at a bank just like everyone else and I understand these people have no credit but I’m not a bank.. haha………..

Who the Hell personally finances there car with the private owner. Obviously somebody sells there cars this way because people have weird notions that this is a acceptable way to buy a car!!!!!

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this topic
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
Capri306

Default Re: WTF: Is it with people wanting to buy mustangs

I used to get the same crap when I was merely driving my Mustang as daily transportation. Kind of reminds me of the homeless people that would ask if they could use my cell phone. Of course I'd say "F off," but I would always be thinking, "WHAT THE F@(K IS WRONG WITH YOU, YA FREAKIN' REJECT??!!?"

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri306
I used to get the same crap when I was merely driving my Mustang as daily transportation. Kind of reminds me of the homeless people that would ask if they could use my cell phone. Of course I'd say "F off," but I would always be thinking, "WHAT THE F@(K IS WRONG WITH YOU, YA FREAKIN' REJECT??!!?"

TELL ME ABOUT IT..... its just starting to really annoy me now.....i'm getting crazy amounts of phone calls with these people and there payment crap......Even if they gave me a $1,000 dollars a month it would take them nine months for them payoff my car and no way in hell would my car leave its garage until its paid in full.....
Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

I actually sold a mustang like that. I sold it to my friend. He pays me $200 month for 1/1/2 yrs. I wouldn't normally do this, but he is a good friend and wanted a Mustang but he had bad credit. He didn't really have a cool car to drive. He drove around his bosses' work van, but now he has an ultra cool stang and I get $200 month. I would never do this with a stranger. I wouldn't even think of asking a private party to do that if I was trying to buy. I'd be afraid of the response I'd get for even asking!!
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedchevy
I actually sold a mustang like that. I sold it to my friend. He pays me $200 month for 1/1/2 yrs. I wouldn't normally do this, but he is a good friend and wanted a Mustang but he had bad credit. He didn't really have a cool car to drive. He drove around his bosses' work van, but now he has an ultra cool stang and I get $200 month. I would never do this with a stranger. I wouldn't even think of asking a private party to do that if I was trying to buy. I'd be afraid of the response I'd get for even asking!!
ya me too.......it would be different if i had a cheap car forsale and teenage kid needed it....i'd accept payments from a working kid, but not 9gggsss
Old 10-06-2005, 02:29 AM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I always hate that i'd get about 3 calls a day or more, 1/2 would say they want to come out and see it and never show up. I hate selling my cars, it's a painful process. Also with a listing in the paper, car dealerships would call me, after spending 2-3 minutes explaining the condition of the car they would say "why don't you come down and trade it in for....". I called their sales manager and explained what they were doing, but man was that aggrivating....
I've had people ask if i'd take payments and of course i say no, also i've had people ask where else i'd recommend looking for the same car (when i had a crown vic police interceptor). People suck.
Good luck on selling your stang,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:33 AM   #7
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84LX89GT
I always hate that i'd get about 3 calls a day or more, 1/2 would say they want to come out and see it and never show up. I hate selling my cars, it's a painful process. Also with a listing in the paper, car dealerships would call me, after spending 2-3 minutes explaining the condition of the car they would say "why don't you come down and trade it in for....". I called their sales manager and explained what they were doing, but man was that aggrivating....
I've had people ask if i'd take payments and of course i say no, also i've had people ask where else i'd recommend looking for the same car (when i had a crown vic police interceptor). People suck.
Good luck on selling your stang,
thanks....your like me i have 4 fords right now....2 stangs, 1 lightning, and 1 cobra(i just bought this one)
Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 AM   #8
Capri306

I think the only thing that chaps my ass worse is the guy who keeps pestering you like this: like a broken record, he keeps pointing out the bad points on the car, and it's usually something very mundane, e.g. the sideview mirror is cracked, the ashtray spring is broken, etc. Then, he'll keep saying things like, "oh you'll never sell a car like that!" To top it off he'll offer you maybe $1000 less that what you're asking based on those measly "defects." Go fly a kite, dude.

Trust me, I know how this game works. These jerks prey on people that are just desperate to sell their cars. Hell, I'm selling my Honda Accord right now, and I know it's not in perfect shape, and I adjusted the price accordingly (no pun intended). It has nearly 200k miles on it, but that's not terribly high on these vehicles, and it runs like brand far-king NEW. Anyway, my point is that if anyone tries this lowball crap with me, I'll have to backhand them. FYI, it's worth ~$2350, I'm knocking it down to $2200.

As far as the payment thing for a friend? Eh, I'm in college, so it'd be difficult to say yes to. Unless it's a friend I've had for a long while, and he's in a bind where he absolutely NEEDS a car, I'd more than likely refuse. Yes, not very Christian of me, but I'm living day to day and cannot assume that kind of "creditor" role.

1979 Mercury Capri
Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #9
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri306
I think the only thing that chaps my ass worse is the guy who keeps pestering you like this: like a broken record, he keeps pointing out the bad points on the car, and it's usually something very mundane, e.g. the sideview mirror is cracked, the ashtray spring is broken, etc. Then, he'll keep saying things like, "oh you'll never sell a car like that!" To top it off he'll offer you maybe $1000 less that what you're asking based on those measly "defects." Go fly a kite, dude.

Trust me, I know how this game works. These jerks prey on people that are just desperate to sell their cars. Hell, I'm selling my Honda Accord right now, and I know it's not in perfect shape, and I adjusted the price accordingly (no pun intended). It has nearly 200k miles on it, but that's not terribly high on these vehicles, and it runs like brand far-king NEW. Anyway, my point is that if anyone tries this lowball crap with me, I'll have to backhand them. FYI, it's worth ~$2350, I'm knocking it down to $2200.

As far as the payment thing for a friend? Eh, I'm in college, so it'd be difficult to say yes to. Unless it's a friend I've had for a long while, and he's in a bind where he absolutely NEEDS a car, I'd more than likely refuse. Yes, not very Christian of me, but I'm living day to day and cannot assume that kind of "creditor" role.
i hear ya...... my car is a perfect dam near flawless...... i hate those low baller pricks...... i told my mom if i don't sell the stang in a month.... i'm going to trade it in and her pos and buy her a brand new car out it....thats the least i can do for her.. she's help me out alot when times were tuff.....and i'm not ford poor... i bought my dream car not to long ago a 1993 cobra (vibrant red w/ black interior) so the black2000gt has got to go....i'm tired of paying the b.s insurance on it..my two older fords insurance payments damm near add up to the one payment on the 2000......

right now my collection is -
2000 mustang gt
1994 lightning
1993 cobra
1988 mustang gt with t-tops (its a work of slow progress right now)

Last edited by scootro; 10-06-2005 at 07:10 AM..
Old 10-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

No way in hell. You'd be asking to be screwed over.
I passed up about 30 sales when I was selling my Ninja last year from people trying to arrange payments. They'd get pissed when I said absolutely not. I just asked them if they thought I was out of my mind!
It's a very bad idea IMO.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

I've had an idiot show up the first time and agree to a total cost $3500 and the next day show up with "all he had" which was $2980... he's lucky he didn't get a size 12 up his a$$!!! Especially after I told people the car was sold!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodStrype
I've had an idiot show up the first time and agree to a total cost $3500 and the next day show up with "all he had" which was $2980... he's lucky he didn't get a size 12 up his a$$!!! Especially after I told people the car was sold!
yep happened to my dad once....he laughed at the guy and told him to go back to the bank.....
Old 10-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Capri306

Just had a dude today look at the car. Didn't know how to drive stick. Plus he waits to tell me when I'm there showing the car that $2200 is out of his range. I told him the price was negotiable, but he was talking about some 1994 Nissan for $1000. Give me a fug gin' break. So I told him, "yeah, Sentras, Civics, they're that cheap 'cuz that's all they're worth," which is completely honest. I dunno....seriously, would you even bother looking at a car that's over twice as much as what you anticipate spending??? Ugh, sorry I digress. There's some hope though; he's thinking of having his dad test-drive it later, and I have three messages from people wanting to see it. Hooray!!!

Also, doesn't anybody want to, or even KNOW how to drive a stick anymore? Jeebus, I HAD TO learn stick before my parents let behind the wheel EVER! Plus the ladies like a man who can row.

EDIT: I totally did NOT mean to thread-jack. My apologies. I hold myself in contempt, and will refrain from being a douchebag. That is all.

1979 Mercury Capri
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #14
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: WTF: Is it with people wanting to buy mustangs

This seems to be a fairly recent development in the private sector of automobile sales. Before reading this thread I had never heard of anyone asking to make payments on a privately-sold car. You learn something new every day.

I sold my '90 LX in May and no one who called ever asked about payments. Had they done so, I would have just laughed and told them this was a private sale and if you want to make payments, go buy from a dealer...and pay his prices. Of course, I sold my one-owner, perfectly maintained LX 5.0 on the third call, so I'm probably not a good indicator of this new phenomenon of people attempting to buy a car from a private owner and then, with a straight face, asking him to take payments in lieu of cash upfront. Yeah, that'll catch on quick.

I suspect it's just ignorance and/or dreamers who have no chance of actually buying, say, a nice, late-model (or any model) V-8 Mustang because they don't have credit and/or enough cash but they figure: "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky...after all, there's no harm in asking". It's either that, or the would-be buyers are uniformly dumb and think you're a dealer when they read your ad.

Bottom line: In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
grey88gt
Registered Member

When I found my Stang I didnt have the cash for it and didnt want to go to the bank. I was waiting on income tax return. I gave 500.00 to hold the car for a week until I got the money togather. If i didnt show up then the cash was his. I know thats risky also, but I didnt ask for monthly payments, I didnt try to talk him down on price. Hey Scootro Ill give yah 100.00 a month for your car and buy the way Ill take it sight unseen If youll deliver it to Oklahoma LMAO Just kidding Thats got to be very frustrating. Good Luck!
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #16
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey88gt
When I found my Stang I didnt have the cash for it and didnt want to go to the bank. I was waiting on income tax return. I gave 500.00 to hold the car for a week until I got the money togather. If i didnt show up then the cash was his. I know thats risky also, but I didnt ask for monthly payments, I didnt try to talk him down on price. Hey Scootro Ill give yah 100.00 a month for your car and buy the way Ill take it sight unseen If youll deliver it to Oklahoma LMAO Just kidding Thats got to be very frustrating. Good Luck!
thanks..........
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

I just thought of something...
I used to be a loan officer at my father-in-law's mortgage company. Anyway we had these flyers for people with low credit scores (not always their fault... young/divorced) so you could find an "Improve your credit score with these Tips" flyer on the internet, and hand them out to the next idiot that asks you... "Can I make payments?"

Lmao- I'd do it in a heartbeat if my friends were there to watch with a camcorder!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

One guy showed up on a Sunday with $3,000 cash for my old 5.0.... Asking price was $3,500... I told him deal, but we would have to do the transaction at the bank on Monday b/c that is where the title was...

He called back in the morning and said he didn't have the cash at the moment. Guess went out spending it Sunday nite at the titty bars or something....
#2459 of 5082

Visit my city http://diggstown.myminicity.com/

Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

If a guy is wanting to buy your car and he wants you to take payments it probably means he can't get a loan from a bank or finance company. If he can't get a loan at a bank or finance company this is the LAST guy you want to take payments from.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: