MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-09-2002, 06:12 PM   #1
moponys
Registered Member

Default Talk about lame

I just got my car dyno tuned at the Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara and found out something very interesting.

My car never got the times I thought it was capable of. 14.59 was the 1/4 time I had.

When there I found out that my car's timing was retarded 14degrees instead of being advanced 14 degrees. Talk about being lame. I felt soooo stupid. It had to have been like that for at least a year.

Do you guys now think the car's capable of 13 second time slips???

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Some bolt ons
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:35 AM   #2
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Dang, you should be in the late 11's or early 12's with 410 gears.

Do you run a stick or an automatic? If you have an AOD you need to get a really good stall converter for it, and a Lentco control valve to eliminate the third gear torque converter lock up that takes a good 1/2 second off your time slips.

Let me know how it runs now. You should have 10-12 initial and a total of 32 without vacume advance. With vacume a total of no more than 42 degrees on pump gas.

Let me know how it ends up. You can email me at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com.

Good luck and cut some time off those et's. I am expecting mid 12's with my combination on my next run. I am running 3.25 gears and a C-4 with 2,000 RPM stall converter. I could pick up a half second with a 3k stall and slicks.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
Conman
Registered Member

are you sure it was 14 degrees retarded? I'm not calling BS or anything but that far retarded the car would be so gutless that anyone should have know something was wrong.

are the numbers in your sig the new numbers you just got or old ones from the timing problem?

glad you got it figured out though

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
You should have 10-12 initial and a total of 32 without vacume advance
Jim, our distributors are not vacuum advance. They are electronically controlled. The base timing is set with the spout connector out (basically just a jumper), in his case I would start at 12degrees initial and go up from there, and then when the spout connector is replaced, the computer now controls the timing. The computer has set timing tables in which it reads and then advances the timing according to the table at the current RPM.

moponys , I'm suprised that your car was even idling, let alone drivable with it retarded 14degrees. I'm suspecting maybe a bad harmonic balancer.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:06 PM   #5
moponys
Registered Member

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person...I'm just relaying what Bryon Reynolds of RACE Systems in Santa Clara told me...

The car was running but not to great. I had set the fuel pressure to 62psi to compensate for the air/fuel ratio unbalance. When I had it set to 38psi, it would bog and back fire when I revved the engine. At 62 it ran okay...I'd been running like that for so long, I was use to it and didn't know better.

The numbers in my sig are after the chip,timing and dyno tune.

Some bolt ons
Old 11-11-2002, 06:01 PM   #6
chico
Registered Member

Default Timing

Monoponys! I E-mailed Byron Re: your post..I don't believe he remberes your car but here is his answer to your retarded timing...."Quite possible. I see cars timed ATC all the time. It's a common mistake 10 deg ATC,headers glowing cherry red, lean as hell,etc,."

If Byron says so it is so...I know of no one who knows the programed cars better..
Old 11-11-2002, 06:05 PM   #7
moponys
Registered Member

Chico...tell him it's the Green Convertable he did at the Mustang Ranch this past Saturday. I'm sure he'll remember. He was saying my converter was messed up too.

Tony

Some bolt ons
Old 11-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
chico
Registered Member

Default 94GT

Monopony! Byrons last message...."Car arrived with 70 PSI of base fuel pressure,erratic idleand running poorly.

Before first pull, fuel was set to 39psi vacuum off. Built first calibration with 28deg total in chipand 12.7:1 commanded AFR. First pull netted extremely poor numbers and was aborted early due to weird retarded exhaust tone and lack of power, which made us check base timing because it could not have been at 10 deg BTDC.

Base timing was at 8degATC...18 deg retarded from 10 degBTC; 20 deg retarded from 14deg BTDC if that's where the customer thought it was.

Timing was set to 10deg BTC base.Next pull, car ran correctly.

Timing was advanced until edge of detoation and backed off 2deg BTDC in chip. Totaal advance(if I remember correctly) was 30degBTDC in chip final. This will be 2-4 deg less thanwhat non-california folks will advise; due to our fuel. 28-32 is normal, dependingon the combo.

AFR was tuned to 12.9:1 Car made something like 260ft/240 hp at the rear wheels. Not terrible considering that it's an AODE with a stall converter. All pulls were done in 3rd with the torque converter locked.

I also entirely remapped all of his AODE shift points and torque converter lockup behavior for optimum performance and drivability, both up and down shifts.

He stated something about 14s 1/4 mile times previously. I'm suprised it even did that. It must drive a hell of a lot betternow..and what ET's? Who knows; It's hard to judge with AODE cars; I don't see enough of them. I'd hope he'd be low 14,s but with a heavy car(3500-3600) and an automatic,it's going to be hard to hit 13's without a power adder.

He also has a torque converter that pulls real hard at 800rpm even though it's a 2600-2800 stall. It shouldn't...but it does. It pulls enough that the carwants to stall when going from neutral to drive, or neutral to reverse. With a cam, you need a converter that doesn't load the engine in the idle range..this one does.

Byron"
Old 11-11-2002, 07:49 PM   #9
moponys
Registered Member

I was suprised it was running too as my timing was like that for at least a year. The best 1/4 time I ever got was 14.59 at something like 96 mph and that was with my stock limited slip diff out...

Well hopefully now that I have a new true track diff and he's fixed my never ending problem, the car will at least get into the low 14s-high 13s...

I'd be happy with that.

If not, then I've wasted all my money and my wife was right all along (god I hope not ;-))....

Tony

Some bolt ons