MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default you know what i hate?

seems like a lot of people take their time to sign up for this board only to post one time ...to fix their problem. this board doesnt get the traffic it deserves and when it does you get some guy that tore his motor apart and put it back together and cant get it to start ..well wah wah. anyways whatever im starting a revolution - nobody answer these people if they only have 1 post and thats their question.

i have spoken.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Default Re: you know what i hate?

I'd rather answer a question like that than the usual retards on here that ask about how to change their windshield wipers, what TPS voltage to set, or where the spout connector is located.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

yes well i meant that and those dumb questions included
Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

There used to be a standard response to those questions on some other boards. RTFM (Read The F....... Manual). I really don't like to discourage newbies too much that ask common questions though. Some of those will become experienced productive members if given the chance.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

haha i know i was probably one of them i just dont really remember ...i think i at least introduced myself first
Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Well I know I was one of them as well, but I really miss the guys that were senior to me. I know many of them still visit, but most don’t post due to the same ole questions. I would like to see a way to get their input...on anything, Somehow.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
89llx
Registered Member

I have been in the fox mustangs for about 8 years now, and i say if you want this to grow you have to help the new guy
89llx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Post Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89llx

I have been in the fox mustangs for about 8 years now, and i say if you want this to grow you have to help the new guy
I agree. However, that gets real old when you constantly get the identical questions, week after week; rear end ratio questions, exhaust questions, etc. Many folks are too lazy to do a search so they just post on all the Mustang boards and look for the 'easy' answer, that is: one they don't have to even look up because someone else answered it FOR them. That is lame and helps neither the lazy poster - or the website.

I was the Moderator of the 'tech' board (now called 'Windsor Power') for a few years. Seeing (and patiently answering) the same simple questions over and over got to be a chore. I enjoyed imparting knowledge for awhile but began to resent the obvious lazyness of some brand-new members who wanted to know everything - without doing anything...not even a relatively quick 'search'. I'm not a certified mechanic but I know a few things about 5.0 Mustangs and I think I helped a lot of people over the years I posted regularly on 'tech'. A few folks even thanked me and stayed with the site to spread information and build it up....but not many. That was discouraging.

That issue, my boredom with the subject of 5.0 mods, some real unpleasant conflicts with other posters (mostly over politics) as well as a diminishing amount of free time combined to lead me to eventually curtail my 'tech' posts and then 'resign' my (voluntary, unpaid) position as Messageboard Administrator. I don't regret doing so. I still visit this site and occasionally post here on the Lounge forum but my days as an unpaid (and often unappreciated) 5.0 'technical advisor' are long gone. I hear the job may still be available to anyone who can do it - and actually wants it. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
bmxmon
Registered Member

I started out by asking a question. Thats kinda the main advantage of an online message board, lots of people who whats going on with certain things. I know i've asked alot of questions, many of which were pretty stupid. (looking back anywho...) I've stuck around, i think its cool to hear whats going on with other peoples projects (The after paint pics are my favorite) Politics can be fun to talk about, I think i started one or two threads on it, though it can definately get out of hand.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 5 0
I agree. However, that gets real old when you constantly get the identical questions, week after week; rear end ratio questions, exhaust questions, etc. Many folks are too lazy to do a search so they just post on all the Mustang boards and look for the 'easy' answer, that is: one they don't have to even look up because someone else answered it FOR them. That is lame and helps neither the lazy poster - or the website.

I was the Moderator of the 'tech' board (now called 'Windsor Power') for a few years. Seeing (and patiently answering) the same simple questions over and over got to be a chore. I enjoyed imparting knowledge for awhile but began to resent the obvious lazyness of some brand-new members who wanted to know everything - without doing anything...not even a relatively quick 'search'. I'm not a certified mechanic but I know a few things about 5.0 Mustangs and I think I helped a lot of people over the years I posted regularly on 'tech'. A few folks even thanked me and stayed with the site to spread information and build it up....but not many. That was discouraging.

That issue, my boredom with the subject of 5.0 mods, some real unpleasant conflicts with other posters (mostly over politics) as well as a diminishing amount of free time combined to lead me to eventually curtail my 'tech' posts and then 'resign' my (voluntary, unpaid) position as Messageboard Administrator. I don't regret doing so. I still visit this site and occasionally post here on the Lounge forum but my days as an unpaid (and often unappreciated) 5.0 'technical advisor' are long gone. I hear the job may still be available to anyone who can do it - and actually wants it. Good luck.

Mixing politics and tech advice was one of the problems, Jim. Also editorial privilages for the "message board administrator", allowing outright "rewriting" of posts was another thing that bothered some of us, (for clarity and brevity of course). Don't get me wrong here. You did a yeomans job of overseeing the message boards. No one has done it since. You did seem to try to "rule with an iron hand" though. I think that's why you didn't get more "thank you" 's. I for one would like to give you credit for a lot of hard work and for the years of effort that you put forth.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 08-26-2006 at 05:37 PM..
Old 08-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
Mr 5 0

Smile Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev

Mixing politics and tech advice was one of the problems, Jim.
I didn't, Rev. I only posted on 'politics' in the tech forum when somone else went off on some ridiculous political rant. I was there too, and I recall this happening. I did not initiate political debates on the tech forum. You must know that, Rev. I would sometimes scold others for going 'off-topic' into bashing George W. Bush (or whatever) on a thread about shifters or carbs.

The Blue Oval Lounge was specifically created by Dan McClain for non-Mustang discussion, obviously, including politics - and that is where most of my political arguments took place. A few folks (not you) got extremely nasty with me (classic 'keyboard tough guy' behavior) when they couldn't sustain their side of a debate. It got tiresome and as I was (then) the website's Messageboard Administrator, if I deleted or closed an especially nasty thread, I was instantly accused of 'abusing my position' - ironically, by the same people who had just called me a bunch of names on the same thread, thus abusing their posting privileges. I finally decided to chuck my website positions (moderator, administrator) and return to 'member' status. I also decided to spend a lot less time here. That hasn't changed in the last four years. although I do check into the Blue Oval Lounge almost daily.

Quote:
Also editorial privilages for the "message board administrator", allowing outright "rewriting" of posts was another thing that bothered some of us, (for clarity and brevity of course).
I didn't really expect much thanks for my administrator work (Dan gave me lots) but my 'mechanical' advice when I was mod of the tech forum was clearly useful to many newer members (I only addressed the basics) and I did get some appreciation (again, mostly from Dan McClain) but I would never take such a position again. I've been asked, for other boards, but no thanks! Once was enough. I have my own set of 'standards' and they clearly are out of sync with most posters here and probably on other Mustang boards, as well. I've been on message boards (of all kinds) with 'loose' messageboard monitoring and they are usually a big mess; constant cursing, endless trading of vicious insults (not jokingingly, either) and lots of plain nonsense that benefits no one. They generally are like a high school class when the teacher is out of the room: chaotic. I see no point to them. I tried to make MustangWorks boards a cut above that. Dan approved - but it obviously was not what the bulk of the MW membership really wanted. So be it. It's no longer my problem. I just make an occasional post here.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here. You did a yeomans job of overseeing the message boards. No one has done it since. You did seem to try to "rule with an iron hand" though. I think that's why you didn't get more "thank you" 's. I for one would like to give you credit for a lot of hard work and for the years of effort that you put forth.
I'm not looking for approval or thanks at this late date but it's rare enough, anyway, so I'll take it. Thanks, Rev.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Whats all that writing above talking about?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangII460
Whats all that writing above talking about?
About Jim Sweeter's tenure as moderator of "Windsor Power" and his position as "Message Board Administrator". He did a service to Dan and MW, but not without some backlash.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 5 0
I didn't, Rev. I only posted on 'politics' in the tech forum when somone else went off on some ridiculous political rant. I was there too, and I recall this happening. I did not initiate political debates on the tech forum. You must know that, Rev. I would sometimes scold others for going 'off-topic' into bashing George W. Bush (or whatever) on a thread about shifters or carbs.

The Blue Oval Lounge was specifically created by Dan McClain for non-Mustang discussion, obviously, including politics - and that is where most of my political arguments took place. A few folks (not you) got extremely nasty with me (classic 'keyboard tough guy' behavior) when they couldn't sustain their side of a debate. It got tiresome and as I was (then) the website's Messageboard Administrator, if I deleted or closed an especially nasty thread, I was instantly accused of 'abusing my position' - ironically, by the same people who had just called me a bunch of names on the same thread, thus abusing their posting privileges. I finally decided to chuck my website positions (moderator, administrator) and return to 'member' status. I also decided to spend a lot less time here. That hasn't changed in the last four years. although I do check into the Blue Oval Lounge almost daily.
I think you're right, Jim. You probably were careful to post political arguments in the "Blue Oval" where they belonged. The postings in the "Windsor Power" were confined to Windsor V-8 topics for the most part. My problem was, most likely, that you wore several hats, and I just couldn't keep up with all of them from one forum to the other. My apologies for any misrepresentation. Thanks for your continuing interest in MW.

Note: Not trying to hijack thread, LOL.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 08-27-2006 at 07:31 PM..
Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

uh huh sure whatever consider this thread hijacked.
im jokin but look what i did start ^ ^ which is better than nothing (i have come to this site for the past few weeks and hit the 'new posts' button to come up with no results)
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't really expect much thanks for my administrator work (Dan gave me lots) but my 'mechanical' advice when I was mod of the tech forum was clearly useful to many newer members (I only addressed the basics) and I did get some appreciation (again, mostly from Dan McClain) but I would never take such a position again. I've been asked, for other boards, but no thanks! Once was enough. I have my own set of 'standards' and they clearly are out of sync with most posters here and probably on other Mustang boards, as well. I've been on message boards (of all kinds) with 'loose' messageboard monitoring and they are usually a big mess; constant cursing, endless trading of vicious insults (not jokingingly, either) and lots of plain nonsense that benefits no one. They generally are like a high school class when the teacher is out of the room: chaotic. I see no point to them. I tried to make MustangWorks boards a cut above that. Dan approved - but it obviously was not what the bulk of the MW membership really wanted. So be it. It's no longer my problem. I just make an occasional post here.
I work as a Mod on a very large forum and I can relate to that... Perhaps the main difference is the mods on that forum are under another account, so unless posters have been around for a significant time, they don't know who is and who isn't a moderator.

As far as discussing politics on message boards, I think I'm pretty burnt out on discussing things with folks who don't really keep up with the situations and live by talking points handed out by PACs.

So, I've learned to stay out of partisan pissing matches... and stick to specific issues, especially as they relate to the economy... ie tax policy, energy policy, the future of social security, and regulatory policy.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #17
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Ok, getting back to the thread.

I really hate it when people post long arse answers, with inserted, pasted other long arse answers about some other topic the thread isn't about, understand?

...and , arguing politics is like winning in the ........O nevermind.

*DISCLAIMER*

Not to be takin seriously.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

LOL

Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
Rev
Registered Member

"What people hate" can be almost anything, can't it? Putting in "quotes" so as to be clear on what one is referring to seems reasonable to me as well.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
Mr 5 0

Smile Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfanfrombirth

I work as a Mod on a very large forum and I can relate to that... Perhaps the main difference is the mods on that forum are under another account, so unless posters have been around for a significant time, they don't know who is and who isn't a moderator.

As far as discussing politics on message boards, I think I'm pretty burnt out on discussing things with folks who don't really keep up with the situations and live by talking points handed out by PACs.

So, I've learned to stay out of partisan pissing matches... and stick to specific issues, especially as they relate to the economy... ie tax policy, energy policy, the future of social security, and regulatory policy.
Good idea.

If I had it to do over (and ran my own site), I would have all Moderators be 'invisible' as to their online identity and work under a generic name, such as 'Moderator'. I would also make a firm rule that mods could not post on the 'open discussion' forums. That might sound over-restrictive, but I found that trying to balance my moderator/administrator duties - which, inevitably, included closing threads that broke posting rules - and maintaining political positions (online) that were often 'controversial' (translation: some people didn't like my opinions or how I stated them - without apology) was very difficult. I was constantly accused of either 'abusing' my status or scolded by those who opposed my views by being told that "As a moderator", I should (or shouldn't) do this or that. That's why I gave up the positions (in frustration) and also became somewhat distant from the forums here. Burnout factor kicked in. I notice that the MW site survived my leaving the staff.

Now, I usually post elsewhere and still have occasional online political/cultural arguments but I no longer have to be concerned with being accused of 'abusing' any website 'management positions' (unpaid, at that) because I have to close a thread that has gone way over the line. I've also learned - the hard way - to avoid 'religious' arguments as they can quickly get nasty and of course, can never have a resolution as all 'religion' is based on faith of some sort.

The best argument is always stating the facts but even then, the facts will be challenged and political biases and long-held suspicions will still cloud some minds. Iin the final analysis, whether it's politics or religion, I've found (long ago) that people will believe what they want to believe, facts or no facts. So be it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: