MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Wink Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangII460

Ok, getting back to the thread.

I really hate it when people post long arse answers, with inserted, pasted other long arse answers about some other topic the thread isn't about, understand?

...and , arguing politics is like winning in the ........O nevermind.

*DISCLAIMER*

Not to be takin seriously.
This is an 'open' forum and the thread can be whatever the posters want it to be 'about'. If you wish to post on the incredibly important subject of things you supposedly 'hate', go ahead and do so, but stop complaining about what other people choose to post on this thread - or start your own messageboard that only has the subjects you want to discuss - and nothing else. You'll very likely get real lonely, real fast.

On any thread, the posts can often veer from one subject to another. Anyone using internet messageboards on a regular basis would understand that and not be surprised that a thread begun as what someone allegedly 'hates' morphs into a thread that is about something else, entirely. Happens all the time. No big deal.

FYI: the 'quote' feature is simply a handy site device that allows a reply to include the original statement for carity and to preclude the original poster from claiming he was 'misquoted' or didn't write what he wrote. 'Long arse answers' (as you so charmingly put it) are a good exercise for the Attention Deficit problems so many people suffer with today and they also help the reading-impaired strengthen their reading skills, as well as providing entertainment for many folks' otherwise dull and unrewarding lives. I consider mine to be, in effect, a public service of sorts.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #22
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Default Re: you know what i hate?

Hey 5.0,

re-read the bottom of my post. The part that says *DISCLAIMER*

Now , after you read that. Who's the one complaining?

Go flame someone who really takes this post serious, lighten up.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #23
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

...LOL i really liked that plane picture ...and somehow i just jacked my own thread
Old 08-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #24
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

In keeping with this thread title.

You know what I hate, when people hijack their own thread.

I have become one of those I hate.

O-heres one I love,

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangII460
In keeping with this thread title.

You know what I hate, when people hijack their own thread.

O-heres one I love,

Or attatch gigantic graphics to their posts, LOL. Don't take me too seriously either, Frank.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #26
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

[insert thread title here]

This thread has gotten so far off topic now, we should ban ourselfs from this site.

That picture is a little huge, gimmie a minute I'll fix it.

*EDIT* Made smaller.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #27
digital3.3

i like it when threads like this are hi-jacked with some funny pics, helps lighten the mood.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #28
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

<=== Boring cylinder head question guy.

Heh heh...sorry. I know what you guys are talking about, though. I like to visit and learn new stuff, but I rarely post because work on my car has mostly stopped. I have a few things planned, but likely won't get around to the good stuff until next summer, thanks to college.

I'm relatively new, and even <i>I</i> find it a little lame when I see 3 new topics about overfilling transmissions, CAIs, or what mufflers to use (no offense). The "ask one question and vanish" thing is getting old, too.

I guess I'll leave it at that before I end up pissing people off.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #29
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

you know what you need to have planned for that car - 1 word, blower.

as well as the rest of you

get blown and be happy.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #30
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

It's worked out really well... As a Mod I've been criticized for being a communist and as a fringe right winger... and of course everyone loves to complain about "free speech".

LOL!!!

If you want free speech, go to the town square... if you want to discuss something with members of a message board that is owned by someone else, and reflects on the host site in any way... don't waste your time thinking that you have the right to type what you want and not think there will be consequences with non-conformity... The "Terms of Service Agreement" does mean something whether posters want to believe it or not. Oh, and I really love the conspiracy theorists who love to make it a FCC conspiracy...

As far as being anonymous, really I couldn't imagine it any other way. Especially not in a large forum.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
Mr 5 0

Smile Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfanfrombirth

It's worked out really well... As a Mod I've been criticized for being a communist and as a fringe right winger... and of course everyone loves to complain about "free speech". LOL!!!
If you are called a 'communist' and a 'fringe right winger' (who are the non-'fringe' right-wingers, anyway?) you must be doing something right and being extremely non-partisan. That's no fun. Seriously, you would seem to have the moderator/poster dichotomy conquered and I applaud you for that. I wish I had been able to accomplish that feat, here, 'back in the day'. Ah, well, I also wish I could have a new, blown Mustang Cobra for free.

Quote:
If you want free speech, go to the town square... if you want to discuss something with members of a message board that is owned by someone else, and reflects on the host site in any way... don't waste your time thinking that you have the right to type what you want and not think there will be consequences with non-conformity... The "Terms of Service Agreement" does mean something whether posters want to believe it or not. Oh, and I really love the conspiracy theorists who love to make it a FCC conspiracy...

As far as being anonymous, really I couldn't imagine it any other way. Especially not in a large forum.
On the internet, we're all anonymous to a great degree. That's what brings out the base name-calling, 'internet tough guy' attitude instincts in some folks who, in 'real life', wouldn't even be able to look you in the eye, much less, call you names. Anonymity can breed faux 'bravery' for the otherwise timid and for those who already have an argumentative and/or belligerent nature, the 'net is just another vehicle to express their general animosity toward everything and everyone. Some do so then pretend they were 'just kidding'. I'm no longer fooled by that coy petense of jocularity that is too often used to put a fig leaf on what is really, hostility. I get it.

Free Speech is simply the well-known constitutional right to criticize the government, which we are all quite good at, I'm sure. Well, it's a constitutional right in the United States, anyway...don't try it in Iran, Cuba or many other places under the control of totaltarian 'governments'.

While we may very well all have a 'right' to our personal opinions, if we choose to post them for public display, as on an internet messageboard, such as this one, we should all expect that at least a few of the people reading our opinion may disagree with it...and 'say' so. That's always my assumption when posting almost anything. As the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan rightly said: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. He is not entitled to his own facts".

Unfortunately, too many folks like to post their opinions but resent having them challenged. That's unrealistic. I'm a political conservative so I'm quite used to having my views challenged and debated, if not condemned by so-called 'liberals' who, I've come to find out, tend to be somwhat intolerant of politically conservative opinions. I think that is rather informative for readers of messageboards who can read the posts for themselves and decide whether my arguments hold up or not and if my would-be 'opponent' has to resort to name-calling and wild accusations when he or she runs out of facts. It also strengthens my writing and debating skills, which is a nice bonus.

One thing I quickly learned: Avoid using absolutes; 'never', 'always' or, that old favorite: 'everyone knows'. As few things in life truly are absolute, someone will inevitably come back and question whether something is 'always' or 'never' this-or-that. Then they use the lawyers game of claiming that if you got that supposition wrong, WHAT ELSE are you wrong about, hmmmmm? So it goes. Semantics are a big part of internet debating.

As a (former) moderator/administrator, I was eventually called 'every name in the book' because I was well-known on the site and had strong political views that I didn't flinch from expressing, no matter the negative blowback I might receive. The site owner was in basic agreement with my views (although not on every single issue, I'm sure) and informed me that it was O.K for me to express them on his site.

However, after many rancorous long-running arguments I tired of seemingly always being on the defensive and carrying the water for 'my' side of any given issue. I would receive some supportive PM's, which I valued, but not a lot of online support, where it would have actually done some good. As I said, my position (as a moderator) was often used against me. I was repeatedly told that 'as a mod' I shouldn't be taking stands on inflammatory issues...as if these folks ran the website. Eventually, I decide to forego the honor of being on the website 'staff' and go back to being an ordinary member so that I could discuss and debate whatever I wanted to, without the baggage of being constantly accused of 'abusing my authority' by those who, in reality, couldn't hold up their end of a vigorous political/cultural debate. Now, here I am, four years later, a bit older and definitely a bit wiser about the vagaries, pitfalls and frustrations of internet messageboard moderating and debating. I still debate political issues on the internet when I have the time, which is less and less, these days, but hardly ever on this particular site or board. Strangly, the world seems to go on just the same. Imagine that!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #32
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

mr 5.0 must be a writer for a paper out there or something along those lines ...or must be the character out of V for Vendetta
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #33
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Fatoeknee, Maybe you should start a new thread with no topic. It would be alot harder to hijack, I think. Hijack proof?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #34
Rev
Registered Member

"You know what I hate" is already a pretty good "catch all" title. Just look at the variety of comments it has drawn.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #35
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I feel that I'm a pragmatic conservative... Certainly more refined, I think to my credit, than I was when I first got online in 2000.

I do a lot of political Op-eds for the local paper (though I've calmed that down in the past year or so)... and was even printed in Investor's Business Daily a couple years ago, which was pretty cool.

I think your views on "internet debate" are spot on... As a participant in those debates though, I think I did pretty well with anyone willing to go outside of the talking points. I think I mesh my background as a welder in a union shop as well as my self educated economics and financial markets background well, and can connect the dots that most folks can't fathom.

The key is to relate with those who are willing to relate, cut out the jargon/use layman terms, and effectively use analogies to explain your positions... and most important, anything you say can and will be held against you in the future... be consistent.

On our forum, the moderators have a lot of latitude to weed out anything that could be damaging to the forum or reflect poorly on the organization. So we try to keep political threads clean, maintaining direction, and free from personal attacks.

It doesn't take a liberal to see when a conservative is taking a cheap shot outside of the terms of service... personal attacks are dealt with regardless of ideological affiliation. Since the mods are anonymous (posters often know each other or have get togethers, so they're not as anonymous as most boards are where there is no physical interaction...), the posters rarely know anything about the moderator who is monitoring the forum. So those on the right complain... and those on the left complain... and you as a moderator act as a disinterested 3rd party.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #36
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48879

It is Done.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #37
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

you know what i hate? threads that become so complicated that we have multiple conversations going on at once ...i know rev, frank, and i have something going on. mr 5.0 and philly fan have their own stories, and whatever else
Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #38
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat0eknee

you know what i hate? threads that become so complicated that we have multiple conversations going on at once ...i know rev, frank, and i have something going on. mr 5.0 and philly fan have their own stories, and whatever else
You get annoyed too easily, my friend. Internet messageboard threads very often veer off into separate issues far removed from the original topic and sometimes, after awhile, dwindle down to just two people debating. Been there, done that. No one can realistically control what direction any thread will take.

You have to realize that many people are reading the thread, different thoughts are being posted and, over time, some folks may have their own ideas that they want to express - and they may have little relation to the original thread topic. It's part of what makes messageboards interesting. They tend to be very free-form.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted in some way because 'your' thread went in a direction you may not be interested in, but pouting about it won't change the reality. Besides, I see you have a new thread , now. I hope that one gives you the responses you want - but I doubt it will. Whether you (or I) like it or not, the internet and it's millions of users are doggedly eclectic in their range of interests and this thread is proof of that.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #39
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat0eknee

mr 5.0 must be a writer for a paper out there or something along those lines ...
Thanks for the compliment but I'm only an amateur writer at this point.

Quote:
or must be the character out of V for Vendetta
I didn't see that movie so I have no idea whether that's a compliment or an insult. I'll just assume it's the latter - and let it go at that.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #40
Rev
Registered Member

At least no one has called anybody any names. Even with the divergent responses, I think the members have been pretty well behaved here. I certainly can't see any abuse of anyone's ability to post. Expressing one's opinions on a thread titled "You know what I hate" seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe