View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev

Mixing politics and tech advice was one of the problems, Jim.
I didn't, Rev. I only posted on 'politics' in the tech forum when somone else went off on some ridiculous political rant. I was there too, and I recall this happening. I did not initiate political debates on the tech forum. You must know that, Rev. I would sometimes scold others for going 'off-topic' into bashing George W. Bush (or whatever) on a thread about shifters or carbs.

The Blue Oval Lounge was specifically created by Dan McClain for non-Mustang discussion, obviously, including politics - and that is where most of my political arguments took place. A few folks (not you) got extremely nasty with me (classic 'keyboard tough guy' behavior) when they couldn't sustain their side of a debate. It got tiresome and as I was (then) the website's Messageboard Administrator, if I deleted or closed an especially nasty thread, I was instantly accused of 'abusing my position' - ironically, by the same people who had just called me a bunch of names on the same thread, thus abusing their posting privileges. I finally decided to chuck my website positions (moderator, administrator) and return to 'member' status. I also decided to spend a lot less time here. That hasn't changed in the last four years. although I do check into the Blue Oval Lounge almost daily.

Quote:
Also editorial privilages for the "message board administrator", allowing outright "rewriting" of posts was another thing that bothered some of us, (for clarity and brevity of course).
I didn't really expect much thanks for my administrator work (Dan gave me lots) but my 'mechanical' advice when I was mod of the tech forum was clearly useful to many newer members (I only addressed the basics) and I did get some appreciation (again, mostly from Dan McClain) but I would never take such a position again. I've been asked, for other boards, but no thanks! Once was enough. I have my own set of 'standards' and they clearly are out of sync with most posters here and probably on other Mustang boards, as well. I've been on message boards (of all kinds) with 'loose' messageboard monitoring and they are usually a big mess; constant cursing, endless trading of vicious insults (not jokingingly, either) and lots of plain nonsense that benefits no one. They generally are like a high school class when the teacher is out of the room: chaotic. I see no point to them. I tried to make MustangWorks boards a cut above that. Dan approved - but it obviously was not what the bulk of the MW membership really wanted. So be it. It's no longer my problem. I just make an occasional post here.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here. You did a yeomans job of overseeing the message boards. No one has done it since. You did seem to try to "rule with an iron hand" though. I think that's why you didn't get more "thank you" 's. I for one would like to give you credit for a lot of hard work and for the years of effort that you put forth.
I'm not looking for approval or thanks at this late date but it's rare enough, anyway, so I'll take it. Thanks, Rev.