View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: you know what i hate?

Quote:
I didn't really expect much thanks for my administrator work (Dan gave me lots) but my 'mechanical' advice when I was mod of the tech forum was clearly useful to many newer members (I only addressed the basics) and I did get some appreciation (again, mostly from Dan McClain) but I would never take such a position again. I've been asked, for other boards, but no thanks! Once was enough. I have my own set of 'standards' and they clearly are out of sync with most posters here and probably on other Mustang boards, as well. I've been on message boards (of all kinds) with 'loose' messageboard monitoring and they are usually a big mess; constant cursing, endless trading of vicious insults (not jokingingly, either) and lots of plain nonsense that benefits no one. They generally are like a high school class when the teacher is out of the room: chaotic. I see no point to them. I tried to make MustangWorks boards a cut above that. Dan approved - but it obviously was not what the bulk of the MW membership really wanted. So be it. It's no longer my problem. I just make an occasional post here.
I work as a Mod on a very large forum and I can relate to that... Perhaps the main difference is the mods on that forum are under another account, so unless posters have been around for a significant time, they don't know who is and who isn't a moderator.

As far as discussing politics on message boards, I think I'm pretty burnt out on discussing things with folks who don't really keep up with the situations and live by talking points handed out by PACs.

So, I've learned to stay out of partisan pissing matches... and stick to specific issues, especially as they relate to the economy... ie tax policy, energy policy, the future of social security, and regulatory policy.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote