MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: Which is your favorite auto parts store?
Poll Options
Which is your favorite auto parts store?

Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Which is your favorite general auto parts store?

Recently, I've had to go to these frequently for some reason and the Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts in my area has really been pissing me off. When I go to an auto parts store looking for nuts and bolts, I expect them to have a good selection. I don't even screw with Discount Auto. Everytime I go there, it seems like no one's running the store, I could steal some oil and they'd never know. I have NEVER had ANY bad experience with PepBoys where I live. IF the other auto parts places don't have what I need, I know I can count on PepBoys. THe personnel there are friendly and knowledgeable and there are always enough people around to help out a customer. THe other places I go you always have to wait for at 5-10 minutes couse eveybody (which is about 3 people) is helping other customers. Sucks. Many of these guys can only read what's on the computer.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine and it was almost opposite. He has had nothing but bad experience with PepBoys (couldn't be in Augusta though, maybe South Carolina). He likes Advanced Auto Parts.

NAPA is pretty good IMO, also. THey are an old-school parts place that seems to have very knowledgeable staff there. MOst of the time it just depends on who works there. FOr me though in my experience in Augusta, GA, it seems like AA, AZ, and Discount, are just superficial parts places. THey jsut subscribe to what is popular. PepBOys and NAPA to me are the real parts places.

YOu may have totally diff experiences......
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
digital3.3

we got a really cool place here in the lower mainland in BC called Mopac they are usually a great place to deal with.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
PKRWUD

NAPA, hands down.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Napa, you get what you pay for.

O wait, somthing to add to that.

Even though you may buy a brand name part from Autozome or Abvanced Auto or where ever, your not getting the best part from that name brand.

Example: Dealerships get the best of a particular run of the part. A Motorcraft plug will be better if bought from the Ford dealer. Other venders sell the "B" run of the parts etc. etc.

I have a friend that is a major supplier of parts in my area. And he broke this wonderful news to me.

Last edited by mustangII460; 07-12-2002 at 12:02 AM..
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:00 AM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I used to go to Napa alot, but the one around here doesnt have much in stock, so you have to order everything, so now I go to Discount Auto Parts, they tend to have everything.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

For just general stuff (oil, filters, plugs, etc.) , I'll go to AutoZone because it's close to my house. For specific '66 Mustang parts I'll go to John's Mustang here in Houston. For suspension parts, I like Mustang Plus in CA. For performance parts, I just mail order them from Summit. I think that about covers my purchases.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Parts stores

I prefer NAPA - but for routine items that have a brand name, Pep Boys and Auto Zone are usually a bit cheaper. Depends on the item you want.

I buy my Mobil oil, Motorcraft filters and Autolite plugs at Wal-Mart, my plug wires and some other parts at Pep Boys and the real parts at NAPA.

I also use Mustangs Unlimited for certain Mustang-specific parts.

Shop where they have what you need and at the best price. That may be NAPA, Pep Boys or some other place but I don't play favorites.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Fox Body: If you want courteous service, don't EVER EVER EVER come to the Pep Beeyatchz in Pleasantville, NJ

Actually, when I went to go pick up my paycheck today (remember I quit 2 weeks ago) I found out that the asst manager walked out, along with 1 parts guy and 2 cashiers...guess it wasn't just me!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Default 70 and a scanner?

I think they want folks with a 70 IQ and a scanner in many of these places.

I get a kick out of the facial expressions when I say it's for a '66 Mustang with a 289 block, 302 crank, TFTW heads, Edelbrock Performer, 625 Road Demon, 9.5/1 compression, Tri-Y headers, etc, etc.

Please just sell me the plugs that I asked for to begin with.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 09:26 PM   #10
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

I prefer Oreilly. I went to Autozone one time to get a headlight for a car I used to drive (79 Fairmont), this kid was working the counter and he asked me what I needed. I told him I needed the low beam light for a 79 Fairmont. He gets on his computer, looks it up and brings me a big round headlight. I told him he had the wrong head light. He told me that this was what his computer called for. I pointed out the window to the car and said "do you see that car? That's my Fairmont." He said "no that's a Thunderbird".
I have found that most people who work at Autozone are idiots.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by nickj8685
I prefer Oreilly.
Hell yeah, orally is great, but I can't say I prefer it. Just depends on who you're with.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:37 PM   #12
82 GT
Import Slayer

I don't know if most people ever heard of this chain store but I like A&A auto parts. I think it's only in the Pa. area.

Foxbody, when did you get back? Good to hear from you again!!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:25 PM   #13
1BAD302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by digital3.3
we got a really cool place here in the lower mainland in BC called Mopac they are usually a great place to deal with.

Mopac is great, way better than Lordco and their prices are always better. Plus they do installs on site. I find that the Lordco guys are always a bit slow...."do you guys carry 3.73's for a 95 5.0?" and you get "huh!?, what are those, let me look in my special book"

Rice Haters club member #29

Stereo - 2/1000watt 12" MTX subs; Kenwood 1000watt amp; Pioneer 4/ 50watt deck
1BAD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 09:33 AM   #14
polara7777
Registered Member

My choices here a re pretty slim. Autozone, Napa, Advanced, and a couple small stores. I prefer Advanced because the people there are great and they carry a decent line of Hi-Po parts in stock. And in most cases can get what they don't have overnighted. Napa is alright but as someone said they have to order EVERYTHING!. 'Yeah I need a set of champions for a 67 Dodge but with a 18 heat index.' 'Sure! We can have them here in 2 days!' Screw that. We also have a decent Hi-Po shop in town. He has to order most everything but can get anything you ever wanted for anything.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:30 PM   #15
digital3.3

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD302

Mopac is great, way better than Lordco and their prices are always better. Plus they do installs on site. I find that the Lordco guys are always a bit slow...."do you guys carry 3.73's for a 95 5.0?" and you get "huh!?, what are those, let me look in my special book"
i found on a couple time that i've dealt with them that they have no idea what there saying or have no idea what your talking about. them mopac guys usually can help all hi-po ideas take form, they know what you need and what other things will usually work best with it. the guys that lordco said i'd never get a carb for my 3.3 i-6, so i went to mopac and they showed me three or four carbs i could use. go figure.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:54 PM   #16
project2OOOGT
Registered Member

Panhandle Performance.............. always get great service and excellent advice
http://www.panhandleperformance.com/
bassani X
underdrive pullies
hpm subframes
kirban short shifter
mac cai
mac cat back
17x9 cobra r's
315/35/17 nitto dr in the back
255/45/17 kuhmo ecsta's in the front
3.90 gear

auto logic chip is next
project2OOOGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:52 PM   #17
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Default :) Ha! Seems like PepBoys and "other" is winning...

Mustangbelle306, I'll make sure never to go to the the "Pep Beeyatchz" in Pleasantville, NJ.

82GT, how ya been?! I've been back here for about a 1.5 weeks so far. ...Miss my buddies here...

As far as the parts stores, I think much of the quality has to do with the service quality and parts quantity. Between AZ and AAP, both quality and quantity seem to fluctuate, whereas it has only gotten better with the PepBoyses (<---plural of PepBoys--just in case you were wondering ) in my area. HA! and one of th AAPs that my friend goes to, this woman behind the counter likes to argue with him on what part he needs. He always makes it a point to rub it in her face when he proves her WRONG without a shadow of a doubt... quite entertaining it is....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 07:50 AM   #18
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I go to Kragen Auto parts here. It's also called checkers and Shuck's in other places. Friendly ppl, and they have all kinds of lifetime warranty parts. Good prices too.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #19
Mach 1
Registered Member

I used to think NAPA carried a slightly superior line of parts than most discount chain stores.

I went to buy some O2 sensors one day, went to NAPA and they handed me this cheap looking piece of junk with a very short harness connector wire and wanted $75.00 for one of them.

I said "no thanks", proceeded to "Autozone" where I got the same "bosch" 02 sensors that Ford uses from the factory for $40.00 a piece.

Havent been back to Napa for parts since.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:18 PM   #20
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Cool

You mean Summit isn't a 'general purpose auto store'?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: