MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 01:34 AM   #1
Rogue Stang
Registered Member

Post Failed emissions test in IL

I failed IL emissions today. hers the results:

hc co co2

Standard .80 15.0 N/A
results .89 3.4 545.9

It has stock 173,000 mi short block,cold air induction, 73 mas air, pullies, 65tb, cobra intake, 17* timming, headers, stock h-pipe(of the test), 2.5 exaust and 3.73.The guy told me I should have drove the car more before. How can I lower my HC? I going to do a tuneup, o2 sensors and fuel injector or emission fuel treatment.

Rogue Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 02:34 AM   #2
84stang83zephyr

yeah, you need to get the car nice and warm before bringing it in. If the car is cold then it runs richer due to the computer reading the coolant temp sensor as cold. I've heard 10-15 minutes on the freeway is good. Also if the engine is cold the catalytic converters don't oxidize and reduce emissions because they're not warm enough to catalyze the exhaust. Another thing, when doing the fuel injection treatment, don't dump the whole bottle in because from what i've heard it'll plug some of the injectors, then you'll have other problems, i'd probably start with 1/2 a bottle at a time. Also make sure the fuel/injector treatment is all burned up before taking the test (fresh tank of fresh gas) because there's some nasty stuff in those that'll cause you to fail. Another major thing is set your timing back to the stock 10*. You may not even have to spend money to replace things because just having the timing advanced like that can cause you to fail. if you reset the timing and make sure your car is very warm i bet you'll pass no problem. Good luck.