MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
tire
Registered Member

Default '00 2v 4.6 --> '05 3v 5.4

anyone doing this?

so far. LOTS MORE POSTS AND WHATNOT IN ACTUAL THREAD:
2v 4.6 --> 3v 5.4 - Lone Star Stangs | The Texas Mustang Club

HERE IS MY FIRST POST THOUGH:

i have found very few people that have done this swap. the 4v or 2v 5.4's are a more popular swap, but that's not how the cookie crumbled.

goal:

swap in the 5.4 for as cheap as possible, making no upgrades unless neccessary to replace said part anyways.

what i have:

*00 gt 5spd (stock)

*a low mileage 2005 3v 5.4 f-series truck motor, complete from oil pan to air filter, wiring harness, computer, fly. just lacks accessories, but i'm hoping to reuse some of my 4.6's.

i'm going into this swap nearly blind (i'm fully aware what a PITA it'll be, but i have a tendency to be stubborn and have access to lots of tools). my goal is bang-for-the-buck performance. this translates into i just want the motor in the car for now. suspension tuning/lightening the car/bolt-ons, etc. will have to wait a long time. i got the car (wrecked) for a total of 500$ and the 5.4 for 600$... are you getting the picture yet? btw anyone interested in a v10 triton motor?

so far i have a battery relocation kit i'll be installing when i return to cali. the battery is a truck battery with 700+ cca's so no problems there.

it turns out a 4" cowl won't cover the intake... the 5.4 is 6.5" taller than the 4.6. i'm still unsure what to do for a hood, but as the car is going in for paint relatively soon i'll have to address that before the motor swap beings. i have become decent at fiberglass repair and sculpting, so i may turn it into a mach 1 type shaker-ish looking hood and just cut my stock hood. i don't want a 6"+ rediculous hood on a slow daily driver.

Q's: (updated 12/16)

*the tb is fly by wire aka no cable. i understand that this will further complicate the swap and i would prefer a regular tb anyways. will this cause a complication with the computer to put a regular tb on?
???????????

*i'm replacing the motor mounts, but i want to know how the aftermarket ones differ from the stock replacements. and if the price difference is small enough to warrant buying the aftermarket ones.

*the tranny will bolt right up to the 5.4 as the 5.4s are just taller decked 4.6s, but is there anything in this dept. that i should know about? the fly is an 8 bolt btw not a 6 like stock.

*being that the engine is complete and has the computer and everything pretty much i'll need to get her at least running, would a custom tune be recommended? i imagine most reading this would respond that yes, of course, but keep in mind the tune would cost as much as what i got the motor for. and 365tq on 87 octane is plenty for me at this point!

A: i have a plan of attack now for the wiring harness. it turns out reusing the stock harness and extending a few of the sensors is the easiest way to go about it. the motors share the same sensors. this will allow me to use the stock computer and retain all functions of the car without painfully rewiring everything. as for a tune, the stock computer (i've been told) will "work" but a custom tune will be needed. i guess i'll go ahead and find some bigger injectors, install the rear gears, and tune for 91 oct if i'm going to have to get it tuned.
CRAP< ALL THAT NOISE MAY NOT WORK..... i'll update when i do it. fark!

*will the stock cooling system be sufficient? the only change planned is a 55gpm meziere elec. water pump.
A: it's not looking good that the stock system will keep up with the motor. more than likely i'll get it in and running, and monitor the hell out of the water temp. i've also been told electric water pumps aren't a good idea on a street car but i'm not convinced. i'm going to contact meziere tomorrow.

*will the oil pan fit w/ the stock k member?

*what accessories from a 4.6 will fit on the 5.4?

*does anyone have feedback for underdrive pullies of diff. brands?

*best way to drop the motor in?

A: from below

i may keep this thread alive over time as i have more Q's, if anyone with experience or knowledge feels like advising.

looks like this but dirtier

FIRST DRAFT

3v 5.4 swap

PARTS

Complete motor
Wires of correct size to extend some sensors of stock wiring harness
Quick-disconnects for said wires, soldering iron, material, etc.
3v 4.6 driver’s side exhaust manifold
3v 4.6 instrument cluster
3v 4.6 pedal assembly
Custom hoses for radiator
Temp 160 deg
1 stage colder plugs
Hood????? TBD
Motor mounts
Meziere pump and male wiring connector thing
Get bolts and order needed bits and pieces for the motor that are not on it anymore
Serpentine belt length????

SWAP PREP

Install battery relocation kit
Machine shop evaluation and suggestions (flywheels ok, rotating assembly, etc.)
Remove any accessories I don’t want anymore from car
Attach accessories that need to be bought separate to 5.4
Bolt on under drive pullies to 5.4
Get new belt that works. Try to bypass the water pump.
Mock-up stock wiring harness wire lengths to sensors and use quick disconnects on stock harness on car to ease install
Install 3v 4.6 driver’s side exhaust manifold

SWAP

Install pedal ass./gauges
Lift car
Drain radiator, tranny, a/c
Brace k member
Unbolt tranny, k member
Lower motor out of the car, store it
Install new motor mounts
Swap remaining accessories over to the new motor
Make sure belt is good
Put new motor in
Bolt k member, tranny back
Fill tranny
Lower car down and get hoses on
Fill radiator
Install wiring harness to sensors
??? What am I missing.

POST SWAP

Have a tech charge my a/c again
Reliable tuner in the area if needed
Figure out a hood that’ll work
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
r3dn3ck
Registered Member

Default Re: '00 2v 4.6 --> '05 3v 5.4

Your post is long so I'll be brief, all your answers lay here -->

Anyone intrested in 5.4L swaps, in here. Need you to opine. - Page 113 - Mustang Forums

I've been running that thread for a couple years now. We've got a couple 3v swappers and a lot of 2v and 4v swappers. Pop over and let em know r3dn3ck sent you. We're just getting into a lot of 3v discussion with one of the boys now so you're just in time.

Suffice it to say that it's not that hard, pays off really great and doesn't cost a fortune.
r3dn3ck is offline   Reply With Quote