MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
gtsteve
Registered Member

Default 02GT Coupe vs convertible

I just purchased a 02GT Coupe and was wondering if the convertibles handling or speed is affected, or if there is any problems with them. My buddy is thinking about buying one and doing mods to it, is it worth buying the convertible?
gtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:40 AM   #2
Blue01GT
Registered Member

a convertible is more expensive, less rigid of a body, and slower cause it weighs more. The benefits of convertible are you get to drop the top.

If you want to have your top down, and dont care about having less acceleration and worse handling, and want to pay more $$$, then get the convertible.

If you wanna spend less, and want more speed and handling and dont care about dropping the top, then get a HARDTOP.

And of course, make sure you got a 5speed manual tranny (most important)
Old 09-30-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
ylw99vert
Registered Member

I looked at both and went with the drop top just for the summer time cruise cool factor.
They do handle worse, do to the body flex. You need to add a Strut tower brace for sure along with upgrading the Sub frame connectors. The factory ones are flimsy.
I went with the KB Extreme matrix and the jacking rail.
Weight diff between the two was only 140 lbs, so no real big deal there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car2.jpg (74.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-30-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
GaryDawg
Registered Member

You can't beat a 'vert for style...

I put the full Kenny Brown matrix kit on right away. And the weight thing is just an issue of you developing a bit more hp to overcome the extra weight... You'll never be able to toast everyone whether you have a coupe or a 'vert.

I toast plenty of people and look good doing it...

The 'vert is so much more fun, the drives through the mountains and down the coast are incredible. And when I put my top up I still feel enclosed.
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:08 AM   #5
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Kuhmo's

Hey GaryDawg - How do you like your Kumho Supra's? I'm just now considering them. How's the ride, wet traction, dry traction and wear? Thanks.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Default Re: Kuhmo's

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
Hey GaryDawg - How do you like your Kumho Supra's? I'm just now considering them. How's the ride, wet traction, dry traction and wear? Thanks.
For the price, I love them... They are better than my old stock Gatorbacks and eventhough we don't have much rain here, when we do it is like ice because of the oil build-up. We had some rain the other day for the first time since I got them and was amazed at how well they did for wet traction. I haven't had them long enough to evaluate wear.

I'd still like some Nittos or Potenza's but I can't get the Potenza's without special ordering them. Recently I found out that I can get Nittos here for not much more than the Supras.

They certainly aren't the best tire on the road but they are worth more than they cost...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
jj_jonathon
Trisket

its not like my GT doesnt have a punch to it...when its chilly out (im in FL remember) it pushes me into the seat...and trust me...there no greater feeling than seeing a black GT hardtop and having him look at your car like "wow"...the vert draws more attention, cuz IMO it looks a helluva lot nicer...just check out my user's ride pics...besides, nothing beats racing down the highway with the topdown!

i didnt know about the flimsiness though...i never noticed it honestly...mine handles like a dream...that traction control really handles the car well...i can peel off for a u-turn and the thing takes over....its fun to tuirn it off tho...hehe...

all about your personal pref. i guess though...

-jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:25 PM   #8
FireFinder20
I See Stupid People

Talking

I have no problems with my vert, luv it to death. I have plenty of kills and hang with most coupes. It handles fine and the little bit of cowl shake doesn't bother me.

It looks great when the top is dropped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeffstang4.jpg (17.8 KB, 18 views)

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords
FireFinder20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:26 PM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

Haven't driven the new verts, but the fox 5.0 I drove you could feel the car flex in a corner. Now that was gnarly.

I love how solid my coupe is, but I'm torn about having a roof on my second car, but that may be an old Falcon anyway.

Get what you want, and worry about making fast later. Nothing beats walking out to the car and going, "Hey that's mine! "

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote