MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   03' Cobra with high mileage (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=50275)

isaacet2 02-24-2008 09:24 PM

03' Cobra with high mileage

I have question, is it worth buying a 03' Cobra with about 90,000 miles... not to sure about the durability of the cobra engine with high mileage and any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Robert

explicitone 03-30-2008 08:48 PM

Re: 03' Cobra with high mileage

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaacet2 (Post 333332)
I have question, is it worth buying a 03' Cobra with about 90,000 miles... not to sure about the durability of the cobra engine with high mileage and any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Robert

for me it would all depend on the price

bmxmon 03-31-2008 12:41 AM

I would be more concerned with the condition. Its a Cobra, so its pretty obvious that its been beaten on at least a little, just gotta see how well the previous owner took care of it. Good luck.

explicitone 03-31-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxmon (Post 333600)
I would be more concerned with the condition. Its a Cobra, so its pretty obvious that its been beaten on at least a little, just gotta see how well the previous owner took care of it. Good luck.

thats not true thats its been beaten on.... I know of penty of cobras around here that are high in milage but well taken care of and not beaten on.... not everyone that buys a mustang beats the snot out of them

bkaul 12-01-2009 03:49 PM

If it's been well maintained, I wouldn't consider 90,000 anywhere near high mileage ... 205,xxx and counting on my '01 Cobra with no noticeable issues (doesn't burn or leak any oil, still has good compression and makes good power, etc.). Heck, I haven't even had to change the battery in that car yet. The '03 has an iron block and forged rods/pistons, which makes it even more durable ... but that '03 hasn't even hit its first spark plug interval yet, if it's still stock (or close to it).

My car has a lot of highway miles, so the numbers will vary here, but my front brakes first needed new pads at around 110,xxx, and my clutch & throwout bearing lasted until 189,xxx. Changed the belt/hoses at 100,xxx and 200,xxx. Regular filter changes, etc. I run full synthetic 5w30 oil and change every 5,000 miles, and the engine runs like new. Obviously, that'll vary depending on how the car's been taken care of, but the point is the 4.6L Cobra engines are quite durable.

If someone beat the snot out of the car and didn't maintain it well, maybe you've got something to worry about. If it's been driven "reasonably" and maintained well, I wouldn't be concerned about that mileage. Modifications, of course, can have an impact on reliability ...

goodyear1984 02-03-2010 06:42 PM

90k miles are nothing.even if it did get beat on a bit.just check the car over good,,make sure the fluids look good