View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: 1998 Mustang Cobra Engine Work Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangcobra View Post
Hello Well i am planning of having anywhere from 600-700 HP for now and then later i might look at a Turbo or SuperCharger. I am thinking the SuperCharger unless i have another car to drive by that time. Yes i use this as a day driver and in street racing not on drag strips. To help you in helping me i will List the Mods i am planning on getting and you can tell me things you think are a bad idea if any or anything you may suggest. Thanks

My Mods for my 98 Mustang Cobra
(This is only engine mods not looks.)

1) The Crank Pistons and Rods i mentioned. (Do not know about HP)

No real HP gain unless you're going to increase the compression ratio. 12:1 is possible here.

2) Bassani Mid Length Headers (Said to give 30HP)

Good header but not 30HP worth. Remember to take every advertised HP rating, divide it in half then throw away half of that.

3) Bassani Offroad X-Pipe (said to give 15HP)

Might see 15 here with the headers helping out.

4) Bassani Mufflers (Do not know about HP)

No effect.

5) Underdrive Pulleys (said to give 15HP)

No more than 7 at the wheels.

6) Throddle Body Spacer (said to give 15HP)

0-5 has been my experience.

7) 60lb Fuel Injectors (Dont know about HP)

No added HP, just more capability.

8) Horsepower Chip, And Suggestions??????

A custom chip with tune might net you 15 to 20 at the wheels depending on how far off your combination is to begin with. Drivability can be much improved though with the H/C/I/Injector/MAF combination.

9) I would like to know how to remove govoner????:??

Done in chip.

10) Performance Fuel pump (Dont know anbout HP)

No HP improvement.

11) Port and Pollished Heads (Said to give 50HP)

This is in the ballpark. Good cams will add even more.

12) Get the Car profecionally Power programed (said to be 80HP)

See my comments on the chip. 80hp is an unreasonable expectation, especially N/A.

13) Boost Cooler Water Methanol Injection ( Said to give 78HP in 5.0 mustang and super fords magazine)

I warn all my customers away from these. These are a meltdown waiting to happen.

My Car already has stock 307 HP with Rebuilt Tranny with 130 Miles on in, King Cobra Clutch with 130 Miles on it, New Performace Clutch Wire with 130 Miles on it and an K&N Air Intake. And all 4 tires Brand New.

Thanks for your time returning my questions and have a great day.

See my comments above. You're planning on 600-700 BEFORE a power adder? How? That would be 2-3 hp per cubic inch which just isn't going to happen whether its a 2V or 4V without spending mondo $$$. I've got $35,000 in my pushrod motor spinning it to nearly 10,000 rpm and only net about 2hp per cubic inch. 600-700 with a turbo is doable although you're looking at the better part of $10,000 to do it right (Hellion, HP, etc with all the fixin's).
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote