View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: 1998 Mustang Cobra Engine Work Question?

For the water/meth systems to make the advertised power, two things have to happen; (1) the air/fuel mixture has to be leaned and (2) boatloads of timing have to be added.

As soon as the water/meth sprays, the A/F will drop a full point. That means that if you're boosted and your target A/F is 11.5:1, it falls to 10.5:1....way too rich. So the tuner takes fuel out to bring it back to 11.5:1. Secondly, a bunch of timing is added. I've had to add as much as 12-degrees at WOT to get power gains of 60hp on a 400hp blown combination. All this is fine when the spray is there. However, when the spray isn't, you've got conditions that are perfect for a hurt motor. The A/F is now a point or more too lean and the engine has way too much timing. BOOOM! These systems are notorious for the pumps failing and injectors clogging. Not to mention that its very easy to run out of the mixture and not even know it. I've seen too many engines hurt with these systems. I'd rather see a small wet shot sprayed in front of the blower. At least with a 50-75hp shot, there are no significant changes in the tuning. So if the shot fails, everything is the same as without the shot to begin with.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote