MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
86pony
Registered Member

Default 2000 Gt

i have just purchased a 2000 GT 5spd.
It is currently stock, other than the K&N air intake setup i have installed which has made some improvement...I am basically looking to gain some additional power through bolt on parts, and possibly a power tuner from hypertech, or something similar..could you recommend 2 or 3 additional mods that would give the most benifit for the buck...thanks..
86pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: 2000 Gt

Some common, well-proven mods: (I posted typical gains for a near stock car w/o a blower for you)

High-flo catback - (0 - 10 hp): Depends on which one you choose. Some will gain by themselves, some will not. SLP is a good choice if you want hp gains for example, but it will be loud.

MId pipe -(10 - 15 hp): Even a a good quality catted X pipe will see gains like this.

Gears: You will not see a hp gain by changing gears, but you will improve the cars performance greatly. In fact, you will loose a few hp on a dyno. Most guys have 4.10's. Adding gears like 4.10's will improve the performance of the car about the same as adding 40 hp. They cost about $500 for parts and installation.

Plenum/Thriottle Body: Great, proven mod. You will get 10 hp and the car will breath better at higher rpms. Improves throttle response too. They cost about $400 for both.

Here is a link to one option:
http://www.mustangtuning.com/sct-xcalibrator-2.html

This is an Accufab setup. Probably the best and most pricey option. There are others.

Programmer/chip: Most gains for these things are about 8 - 10. They really are not worth the money IMO, just for the gains. But they can improve drivability and some/most can read diagnostic codes. If you have an automatic (I did not notice) they have added benefits of allowing the car to shift firmer etc.. If you plan on modding the car more down the road, then buying one now is probably a great idea because they can gorw with the car. Stick with Diablo or SCT. I prefer SCT. SCT has a new device on the market called SCT XCalibrator2. I would strongly suggest one of these.

Here is a link to a site that sells them:

http://www.mustangtuning.com/sct-xcalibrator-2.html

This thing is really cutting edge and includes data logging abilities.

There are many more mods you can do, but these are the simpler ones that get results.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
86pony
Registered Member

Default Re: 2000 Gt

Thanks for the advice..I had already thought about doing a gear swap, but have to find out what gear set is currently installed to determine if 3.73 or 4.10 gears are the way to go..I will have to do some research on the cat back system to see which one will offer the best gains without being overly loud ..with a bit of luck, the mods you have suggested will get the car moving the way i think it should...
86pony is offline   Reply With Quote